Crooked Auction House reborn... yet again

Chris Bamford

I'd never heard of Coys Auctions before reading the above-linked article.  It's a bit of a long read, but, in my opinion, so interesting as to be worthy of the time spent reading it.  If you decide not to read the entire article, reading the "Comments" can give you a pretty good feel for the reputation of Coys.  As pointed out by several of the Commenters, it is difficult to understand why anyone would do business with a firm that has such a poor reputation.  At this point, the name "Coys" is hardly a corporate asset and makes one wonder why the new auction house didn't just choose a new name.

Cheers,

Grog

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 1937hd45 said:

Maybe I watched too many Westerns as a kid, but always thought bad things happen to the bad guys if you even though of doing the crap these guys did. Tough to give test drives with broken limbs. 

Bob 

Makes me wonder how long it will be before they cheat the wrong person.  

I fondly recall the years that the now defunct auction house brought the traveling circus to the Giant Center during the Fall Meet. After a long day of selling in the South Chocolate field we would wander over the bridge to watch the auction. Every car was described as the “best example in the world”, by auctioneers that knew very little about the cars they were selling.

We we’re not alone. Some of the heavy hitters in the collector car world were enjoying the entertainment. 
After a few hours we would wander back to our trucks, crawl in, and be asleep by 9pm. Wow, we were living the life!

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, greenie said:

I fondly recall the years that the now defunct auction house brought the traveling circus to the Giant Center during the Fall Meet. After a long day of selling in the South Chocolate field we would wander over the bridge to watch the auction. Every car was described as the “best example in the world”, by auctioneers that knew very little about the cars they were selling.

We we’re not alone. Some of the heavy hitters in the collector car world were enjoying the entertainment. 
After a few hours we would wander back to our trucks, crawl in, and be asleep by 9pm. Wow, we were living the life!

The auction in the Giant Center was put on by Richie Clyne and Don Williams.   Those two guys have forgotten more about cars than all of us know together.    They knew what they were doing.   The 2001 sale at the Lodge was probably the best auction I've ever been to.   A true no reserve sale of some GREAT cars.   I wish I brought more money.

• Like 1

Had someone mention to me the other day that apparently in auction field and .... the people can be a bit sketchy - YEP, met plenty of them over the years.   Do not get me wrong though, there is plenty flip side of the coin as to high integrity.  My point - a lot of shiny stuff is not all that shiny - cars, people, and .... 

On 1/24/2021 at 7:50 PM, Matt Harwood said:

It's a lot easier to fool someone than to convince them they've been fooled. Look at the world around us--you really think it's at all difficult to pull the wool over people's eyes with just words?

Everything you read on the internet is true, right?  😆

Craig

• Like 1

On 1/24/2021 at 6:26 PM, alsancle said:

Those two guys have forgotten more about cars than all of us know together.

Interesting phrase  I have heard often over the years. I don't remember forgetting anything. Maybe retention wasn't their strong point.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

After reading the article and finding out that one of the main people involved with the fraudulent version of the company is now in charge of the newly reformed company reminded me of this - meet the new boss, same as the old boss.

• Like 1