For Sale: 1939 Packard Hearse - "Completely & beautifully restored" - Haltom City, TX - Not Mine - 2/7 Deleted

For sale on Facebook: 1939 Packard Hearse in Haltom City, TX  -  $100,000  -  Must be a member of Facebook to access Seller's contact information

Link: https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/758373438425064/1939-Packard-Hearse

Seller's Description:

1939 Packard Hearse

• Exterior color: Black · Interior color: Black

Completely and beautifully restored 1939 Packard Hearse. Would love to see a funeral home utilize this vintage Hearse or someone who collects them. Maybe even a haunted event or house. The Hearse does not belong to me. I am, a liaison between customer & vehicle. Please contact me at the number provided [hidden information] and will connect you to the seller.

image.png.a427d7d0bc08eb3a12f6f343e3e59aa9.png

image.png.8cfa4a06e3881206f89a574a07363250.png

image.png.ab746200538104175f2713ded43a6db3.png

image.png.c961449a4170ce7e6ea377f6a82d8d74.png

image.png.40cf76e7a8844be6ecd379f56f9838bd.png

Edited by 6T-FinSeeker
update status (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Yes, a Henney body, Packard and Henney having entered into a contract for exclusive use of each other's chassis and commercial coachbuilding services in 1937.  This hearse is built on the 1939 Super Eight 1703A commercial chassis. 

• Thanks 1

The last thing I would want to do is spend $100k for something that reminds me every day “the end is near”.  I can buy a sign for $5 to get that news or better yet, for free, listen to all the creaks and groans my body makes when I try to do something like getting out of bed.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
10 hours ago, oldIHtruck said:

from the photos available, look at the spark plug spacing vs. the length of the engine - looks to be a 6 cylinder engine.

The engine is the 320 c.i. straight eight used in the other 1939 Super Eight models.  Its a one-year version of the 320 engine Packard had built since 1929, powerplant for their Standard Eights, Light Eight, Eights and Super Eights in the ensuing model years.  With the rationalization of the Super Eight to share the 120 chassis and body, changes were made to major components to fit in the engine bay.  The 320 was replaced with the new mono-block 356 ci straight eight for the 1940 Super Eight 160 and 180. 

Write-up on the car in the Wall Street Journal in 2018: 

https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-1939-hearse-that-refuses-to-die-1537881549

"One day in 1998, I saw an ad for it in Hemmings Motor News. I bought it for $900 and the seller told me that if I restored it, he would give me the $900 back. He eventually did, so in essence, I got this car for free. Don’t even ask me what I put into the restoration. It was not cheap."

• Like 1
6 hours ago, GregLaR said:

Things that make you go "Hmmmm?"

hearse.jpg.2e9b7deeedbad3c6be97fcbe2d5396cc.jpg

Makes perfect sense.  You ALWAYS need an inside handle on the rear door of a hearse. (flower cars too) The inside of hearses can become littered with lots of flower debris and gloves, prayer cards etc.  Immediately after returning to the funeral home someone needs to get inside and sweep it out for the next funeral. (likely within an hour) 

This car is a "3-way" so there is no divider (so you can exit the front doors) but on an end loading coach (with a divider) while trying to clean it out in the funeral home garage  (where the doors can never open completely) it is very easy to have them slam shut and then you find yourself locked inside. Waiting, waiting for someone to notice that you are missing, then finally come out the the garage and free you from your trap. 

Yes inside handles are VERY NECESSARY 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
24 minutes ago, m-mman said:

Makes perfect sense.  You ALWAYS need an inside handle on the rear door of a hearse. (flower cars too) The inside of hearses can become littered with lots of flower debris and gloves, prayer cards etc.  Immediately after returning to the funeral home someone needs to get inside and sweep it out for the next funeral. (likely within an hour) 

This car is a "3-way" so there is no divider (so you can exit the front doors) but on an end loading coach (with a divider) while trying to clean it out in the funeral home garage  (where the doors can never open completely) it is very easy to have them slam shut and then you find yourself locked inside. Waiting, waiting for someone to notice that you are missing, then finally come out the the garage and free you from your trap. 

Yes inside handles are VERY NECESSARY 

Your logic has completely ruined this for me.

I was expecting something much more sinister.... :lol:

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 4
4 hours ago, NC-car-guy said:

Some of these guys that collect professional cars really pay big money.

Professional car HOBBYISTS are not typically big spenders, but a Funeral Home owner could justify a higher price as an advertisement and write it off as a tax deduction. 

2 hours ago, m-mman said:

Professional car HOBBYISTS are not typically big spenders, but a Funeral Home owner could justify a higher price as an advertisement and write it off as a tax deduction. 

Collectors..not hobbyists.  I'm a hobbyist..and still have 4k into my clapped out caddy hearse. But serious collectors, I've seen dump some money on what id call junk.lol

• 6T-FinSeeker changed the title to For Sale: 1939 Packard Hearse - "Completely & beautifully restored" - Haltom City, TX - Not Mine - 2/7 Deleted