New Replicas - low volume motor vehicle manufacturers act

Xander Wildeisen

Delorean, never driven one, for that matter I have never sat in one. But I would love to own one. New or repro. They say people gravitate to the cars of their youth, I graduated hs in '82 so I suppose I fit that stereotype. I remember not too awful long ago you could buy them all day long for 15k. I would surmise the average price is in the 30k range now. In demand, I dont know, maybe no more or less than most other classic cars.

On 1/26/2021 at 7:19 PM, JamesR said:

Very often the "stance" is different, too. It took me a while to realize what it was about the early Avanti II's that looked different than the originals - The front of the Studebaker originals sat lower and there was a (vertically) deeper set wheel well to accommodate this. I actually wouldn't mind owning one of the early Avanti II's, but I'm pretty sure the slightly different stance would start eating at me after a while. They're still cool cars, however, and I can understand why someone would want one, if priced lower than the Studebaker.

The Avanti II used the Chev small block engine which was not as short as the 289. For clearance they raised the front a bit.  Easier to raise the suspension than alter the hood and spoil that great look! The originals do look more rakish with the lower front, but I've never had the $$$ to buy a 63-4 so I settled for a 79 Avanti II.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Ed Luddy said:

I've never had the $$$ to buy a 63-4 so I settled for a 79 Avanti II.

They're beautiful cars. Despite my earlier comment, if I ever own an Avanti, it'll probably be a II, because knowing I spent twice as much on an original when I could've had a II at half the price would probably eat at me more than a slightly different stance. (Don't think I'd want one of the later 80's or 90's versions, though.) Problem is, I see the Avant II's going up in price now.

Also, I think the story of the Avanti II company is easily as interesting as the Studebaker story: a group of enthusiasts were so enthralled with the Avanti styling and aura that they continued production of the car. At great financial risk to themselves. In that sense, I don't really know if the car qualifies so much as a "reproduction," but more of a "continuation." Possible unique among American car models? Has anyone else ever done anything like that?

If you still have the car, it'd be nice to see a picture. Thanks.

Edited by JamesR (see edit history)
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, JamesR said:

They're beautiful cars. Despite my earlier comment, if I ever own an Avanti, it'll probably be a II, because knowing I spent twice as much on an original when I could've had a II at half the price would probably eat at me more than a slightly different stance. (Don't think I'd want one of the later 80's or 90's versions, though.) Problem is, I see the Avant II's going up in price now.

Also, I think the story of the Avanti II company is easily as interesting as the Studebaker story: a group of enthusiasts were so enthralled with the Avanti styling and aura that they continued production of the car. At great financial risk to themselves. In that sense, I don't really know if the car qualifies so much as a "reproduction," but more of a "continuation." Possible unique among American car models? Has anyone else ever done anything like that?

If you still have the car, it'd be nice to see a picture. Thanks.

Sold it in 2015. Regret that decision!

avanti II 1979.jpg

• Like 1

On 1/23/2021 at 2:23 AM, AL1630 said:

It shouldn't be hard to tell original vs replica, with a new engine and host of other modern components. Plus they will  have documentation showing it as a 2022 model replica that's tied to the VIN so they can be street legal.

The ones that paid attention to seem to have a VIN of the year that the car represents. In NYS the registration sticker on the windshield manufacturer, VIN, and tag/plate number. I am not exactly sure how the owners do it. I heard it requires some leg work in another state, but they do it. The engine only has to meet the requirements for the year of the manufacture, and vehicles after a certain age (again in NYS) have a lower emission standard required to pass. 

Edited by John348 (see edit history)

For the folks in this thread who erroneously thought this new law would allow these new replica cars to be non-compliant with current-year emissions laws:

https://www.autoweek.com/news/industry-news/a35377165/low-volume-manufacturers-law-engines/?source=nl&utm_source=nl_aut&utm_medium=email&date=020121&utm_campaign=nl22818286&utm_term=AAA -- High Minus Dormant and 90 Day Non Openers

Interesting. Says "either: (a) certified to CARB’s reg noted above; or (b) is a modern-day engine with all its emission controls that was certified by an OEM in a new OEM car in the same model year as the small volume car is built.

Doesn't say where it is certified just "by OEM" and not "by the EPA". Wonder about fleet equivalent of a cab/chassis such as RV builders buy, those must be certified for whatever body the RV manufacturer adds. Really see little difference.