Brake caliper

Bertimus

Rock Auto has them for you to order.  Use code #161282845124171508 in the "How did you hear about us?" box during checkout for a 5% discount on price.  Discount is good until Feb 28, 2021.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, handmedownreatta said:

always buy from rock auto if you can wait a few days.

Just be advised, you cannot talk to, text or email ANYONE about a problem. They do not have any communication lines for customer service, period.

I just ordered a universal fuel pump with 5/16" fittings and hose kit. When it arrived, it was all 3/8". I called Carter customer service number from the kit. It was an Airtex, now out of business, taken over by Carter. They agreed it was miss-boxed.  Only recourse from RockAuto was to ship it back for a refund at my expense. They asked what car it was to be installed on, then told me it was not listed for that car, my mistake!    Grrrr!

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, DAVES89 said:

No one is going to have one in stock, you have to ask to order one. try all the normal places, Car Quest, Napa, Advance Auto, Auto Zone, or Rock Auto. Remember your car is 32 years old.

I am looking! And yes, I am learning this quickly about Reattas, a definite labor of love that feels like a wild goose chase at times. Cheers!

4 hours ago, dship said:

Rock Auto has them for you to order.  Use code #161282845124171508 in the "How did you hear about us?" box during checkout for a 5% discount on price.  Discount is good until Feb 28, 2021.

Awesome! Appreciate the coupon and the veteran advice, thank you🙏🏽

2 hours ago, TexasJohn55 said:

Just be advised, you cannot talk to, text or email ANYONE about a problem. They do not have any communication lines for customer service, period.

I just ordered a universal fuel pump with 5/16" fittings and hose kit. When it arrived, it was all 3/8". I called Carter customer service number from the kit. It was an Airtex, now out of business, taken over by Carter. They agreed it was miss-boxed.  Only recourse from RockAuto was to ship it back for a refund at my expense. They asked what car it was to be installed on, then told me it was not listed for that car, my mistake!    Grrrr!

Yes, my mechanic mentioned the same thing! Virtually no customer service! Is that place run by automated robots or something??

1 hour ago, padgett said:

Just personal but I will never again buy anything from Rock Auto. Parts Geek has not had a chance to screw anything up yet.

Thank you for the heads up! Rock auto definitely seems to be a little too "hit or miss" for me!

Also, a big frustration is many stores (even more reputable ones) don't specify if it's front/rear/driver's/passengers side. But an even bigger perplexion: some claim that their product will work for either side, am I dumb or is that actually possible??

4 minutes ago, Bertimus said:

Yes, my mechanic mentioned the same thing! Virtually no customer service! Is that place run by automated robots or something??

I called their corporate headquarters, a recording said that they did not have a customer service number.

• Like 1

I went with rock auto because literally no other store had the rear caliper by AC Delco. I looked exhaustively. They seem to be much harder to find. Another incentive was to use the discount from @dship, thank again mate! They also just so happened to have an AC Delco instant $7 rebate special so I guess it was fate! However be aware that shipping was not free, cost me 10.99 as the lowest option (fedex ground)

• Like 1

I have purchased several parts from Rock Auto including A/C parts for my Reatta ...good prices.

Recently ordered a trans filter and gasket for my GMC truck.   I got the wrong gasket, seems the standard truck and one with towing package have a different transmission.... so I will by the gasket locally. 

• Like 1

My experience with Rock Auto, loosely related to this thread I know, has generally been positive. I have had a couple parts that were warranty items and yes sometimes I paid the return postage and then was reimbursed or I received a free shipping label. Overall the experience has been positive for many years. They do have an email type help section. Perhaps it is different if you don't set up an account?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 2seater said:

My experience with Rock Auto, loosely related to this thread I know, has generally been positive. I have had a couple parts that were warranty items and yes sometimes I paid the return postage and then was reimbursed or I received a free shipping label. Overall the experience has been positive for many years. They do have an email type help section. Perhaps it is different if you don't set up an account?

So far it has been a good experience, I liked their no-no sense approach and it looks like they constantly have specials. I did not make an account and checked out as a guest, I will do that for my next purchase. Will give updates on how the transaction goes from here, fingers crossed 🤞

Do a search and you will find info about upgrading both the front and rear to later model brakes that use larger rotors. 

Note that the upgrades for the front usually require going to 16" wheels for clearance.....

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Barney Eaton said:

Do a search and you will find info about upgrading both the front and rear to later model brakes that use larger rotors. 

Note that the upgrades for the front usually require going to 16" wheels for clearance.....

I will have to do that on my next round of tires, I just bought 15" Cooper Cobra Radials yesterday! Thanks for the tip though!

I've used Rock Auto over the years and have had only one issue that I can remember. I like using them when possible. Just my opinion, but when one caliper goes out I usually change out the other side as well. If the failure is due to age, the other caliper is doomed to fail as well. Plus the older caliper piston might have a little drag causing  uneven breaking pressure. Just a thought.  

• Thanks 1

Today, most owners do not want to fool with rebuilding the calipers but I have found you can disassemble and clean them and 

without new seals or other parts they often work fine.     On the rear, the piston was designed to be self adjusting for the parking brake
Moisture in the system gums us the self adjusting mechanism so the piston does not self adjust.

Also those rear calipers were used on Riviera, Toronado, Eldorado, Seville and Allente.... so they were not unique to the Reatta

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Barney Eaton said:

Today, most owners do not want to fool with rebuilding the calipers but I have found you can disassemble and clean them and 

without new seals or other parts they often work fine.     On the rear, the piston was designed to be self adjusting for the parking brake
Moisture in the system gums us the self adjusting mechanism so the piston does not self adjust.

Also those rear calipers were used on Riviera, Toronado, Eldorado, Seville and Allente.... so they were not unique to the Reatta

Very useful information. Is there a specific AC Delco model or specific part number?

My experience with ROCKAUTO was for a $4.99 part that had a $7.99 shipping charge.  I sat on my porch all afternoon but nothing was delivered.  I found out later that the part was said to be undeliverable that day and forwarded back to ROCKAUTO.  I was refunded the $4.99 for the returned part but not refunded for the $7.99 shipping charge!!!  I feel the $7.99 shipping charge was gouging for a $4.99 part.  Not sure I will be doing business with them again..... 

• Thanks 1

Whenever I have a need to order a specific part I go through my inventory of back up items [oil filters/cabin filters, etc] not just for my car but wife's, kids cars so I can get reduce the impact of the shipping charge. Sometimes that means I end up with more then one warehouse so then I adjust my order to try for just one warehouse by changing my part item from one to another or delete an optional part altogether. 

I would think that a $7.99 freight charge on a $4.99 part would make Advance or AutoZone competitive. And the delivery time would be quicker as well. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, padgett said:

Amazon gives me free shipping & use only "Fast and Free" items on eBay. Saves me a few large.

For new parts I compare pricing from Rock Auto, Amazon, and Ebay and go with the best deal. I do shop Auto Zone and Advance. Used I go to Gibsons. At present there are 4 Reattas and about 6-7 Rivs there.

Edited by DAVES89 (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

I ended up taking my chances on rockauto. The caliper arrived safely and ahead of schedule, and the brake pads are scheduled to arrive tomorrow (fingers crossed, will post update). Yes, shipping is definitely something to be accounted for with rockauto, as they do not refund it and will also have you pay shipping if you have to return an item. Be sure to be 100% positive on the part you need!

Caliper arrived 2 days ahead of schedule, brake pads arrived on schedule, both as intended with no damage. I will say there was quite a gap in the tracking, where nothing was updated for several days. But that's on FedEx. Overall good experience, and although I have read about many frustrations with Rockauto, I will probably give them my business again. Just remember to double check and be sure of the part you are ordering!

Edited by Bertimus (see edit history)