For Sale: 1963 Rambler Ambassador 990 sedan, 54K miles - $6,995 - McKees Rocks, PA - Not Mine

For Sale: 1963 Rambler Ambassador 990 sedan, 54K miles - $6,995 - McKees Rocks, PA

1963 Rambler - cars & trucks - by owner - vehicle automotive sale (craigslist.org)

This is a one family owed car there is 53000 miles V8 auto runs good the body is in good shape you can see there was some paint work done. This car is not a rust bucket the floor pans an truck floor very solid and original . The interior is very clean

Copy and paste in your email:  57a6b1edcff235d9b70dfe99c8c35e5c@sale.craigslist.org

I have no personal interest or stake in the eventual sale of this For Sale: 1963 Rambler Ambassador 990 sedan.

'63 Rambler Ambassador 990 PA a.jpg

'63 Rambler Ambassador 990 PA b.jpg

'63 Rambler Ambassador 990 PA c.jpg

'63 Rambler Ambassador 990 PA d.jpg

'63 Rambler Ambassador 990 PA e.jpg

'63 Rambler Ambassador 990 PA f.jpg

'63 Rambler Ambassador 990 PA g.jpg

'63 Rambler Ambassador 990 PA h.jpg

'63 Rambler Ambassador 990 PA i.jpg

'63 Rambler Ambassador 990 PA j.jpg

'63 Rambler Ambassador 990 PA k.jpg

• Like 3

I can remember the neighbors having one of those. Don't know why but at that time Ramblers had the stigmas of being old peoples cars. I think most were sold with 6 cylinder engines.  The thing that strikes me as unusual unless I'm missing it, is there's no mention of a V-8 on the invoice. 

Edited by Fossil (see edit history)

The 1963 Ambassadors were all V8's, the 327 ci their largest engine, weren't mentioned on the invoice as it was standard equipment.  The 990 was the top-of-the-line Ambassador.  For an AMC enthusiast, this car is a screaming deal.  Personally, it could benefit from having the top painted either dark maroon or black.

Edited by 58L-Y8
contrasting top color would be an improvement (see edit history)
  • Like 4

10 hours ago, Fossil said:

unless I'm missing it, is there's no mention of a V-8 on the invoice. 

The first line on the window sticker describes the car as a "V-8"

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, m-mman said:

The first line on the window sticker describes the car as a "V-8"

Thanks for opening my eyes. I read all the standard features on the right and read through the rest a couple times and still didn't see V-8 mentioned. Guess I'm going to have to go to bed earlier.  

• Thanks 1

I love window stickers and how all the options/features are listed. Sometimes spelled out, sometimes abbreviated.

Notice that AMC called them "white tires" and not Whitewalls or WSW. . . . Typically on window stickers the tire size is stated (or restated) and the 'WSW' text is used. The phrase "white tires" seems like it would describe those all white versions from the early 1900s.

Also notice that antifreeze is listed (Cowgard full fill coolant) I was surprised to discover in my studies that all during the 1950s and into the early 1960s new cars were commonly shipped to dealers WITHOUT any anti freeze during the warmer months. Invoices (not always window stickers) show the antifreeze only being factory installed starting about October and ending around April. This meant that if you were a dealer and received a car built before October and it was still sitting unsold on your lot come the freezing temps of November, it was up to you to remember to take it back to the service department for antifreeze installation or suffer a cracked block(!)

On rare occasions I have seen this very necessary installation of antifreeze added to the sales contract (and customer final cost) as a "option" similar to the Blue Coral wax or undercoating. 

• Like 5

On 1/20/2021 at 11:33 PM, suchan said:

Well-optioned for a Rambler. Buyers tended to be the frugal sort ( like my uncle).

Sharp car.

... or lived near Kenosha,

• Haha 2

Around 1985-1987, I bought a 1962 Rambler Classic"400" 4-door sedan from the original owner. It had been driven less than 1,000 miles from new, was light beige with copper interior, had Mark-IV under the dash A/C (probably dealer-installed) and was delivered with most available options except auto-trans. The brackets which support the bed-seats were still in their paper bags in the glovebox, and at +/- 25 years old, it drove like a brand new car. The lowermost part of the front right door and fender had been touched-up and were a close, but not an exact match. We eventually passed it along to a fellow in the Mobile, Alabama area around 20 years ago, and offered him a club membership, but he apparently did not choose to join. The Rambler was one of the most solid examples you could imagine, and we drove it on several Divisional Tours. In my opinion, these are a good, and affordable entry-level collectible.

• Like 3

I would love to own that Rambler, but if I did, I'd then have to have 3.2 children, go to work at a big company called "Amalgamated Something-Or-Other", wear dark horned rimmed glasses and always wear a pocket protector full of mechanical pencils!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

In the 70's it seemed like every old Rambler had a old driver.  This was before cars came with the back window brake lights.  For some reason half the old Ramblers had two extra lights added to the rear deck (or whatever the inside space by the rear window is called).  I don't recall if the lights were just for brakes or also worked with the turn signals.  I NEVER saw these lights added to anything other than a Rambler.

Jim

• Like 1
  • Haha 1