Ride height

highcking

My current project is a ‘58 Roadmaster. Recently the car got new, correct bias ply tires, new springs, new shocks, many new front end parts, and alignment. Problem is that the front end STILL does sit level. Measured from frame to floor behind the front wheel wells, the drivers’ side sags about 1”. Several body cushions are missing, and others are badly worn. Is that the likely cause? Can shimming the drivers side spring effect a temporary improvement?

Bill in Luray Va

Rusty - Yes, the frame is 1" lower on the driver's side front than the passenger side at the same location. Rear end frame heights are very close to the same. Springs are a matched set, brand new, installed with correct rubber pads. Car was aligned after all work was done, by very competent shop. I'm going to let the best mechanic in the shop take a hard look. I'm hoping spring shims or spacers will even out the 1" difference.

There are rubber shims or spacers made to go under the spring. They are used to make up for the extra weight when air conditioning is installed. One of them may solve your problem. It would be better if the driver's side were slightly higher, to make up for the weight of the driver when driving alone.

Rusty - yes, the rear is uneven too, about 3/4” low on the drivers side. I also noticed that one of the old rear springs (not yet recycled!) had a rubber spacer stuck on the bottom.

Is a spacer both front and rear on the drivers side the best way to go?

Bill