HORN RELAY QUESTION

jaxops

Does the horn relay act like a capacitor to increase the output of the horn or is it just a connecting device from the switch/button through the fuses? <P>My 70 Electra has pretty wimpy sounding horns, and I suspect that this is the cause.<P>------------------<BR>

Guest scott mich bca # 6619

The horn relay is an electro-mechanical switch. It has a coil in it, that when you press your horn button, is energized. Once it is energized, it snaps shut a connection, that connects the horn to the battery.<P>I would think that the horn relay, either would work, or not. No inbetween. Try what Jim suggests. You also may have a bad ground, either the horns to the body, or the wiring in the steering col. If you can find where the wire comes out of the col., if you jumper that to the frame, and it works better, it is in the col.<P>Good Luck with your diagnosis,<P>Scott

Thank you Gentlemen. I did clean the terminals, but I expect that one of the horns is dying. I guess one can't expect perfect performance from another 30 year old horn from the junkyard. I'll shoot for an NOS. <P>I have one of those ridiculous (because they fail after 6 months of operation) "Rim-Blower" horns where the horn is actuated on the inside rium of the steering wheel. I have it bypassed for now, but probably should try to repair it. That looks to me like a steering wheel pull and rewire.<BR> <P>------------------<BR>