1940 Plymouth Roadmaster Deluxe Sedan

MMCM1972

Just picked up me new girl, Rosie. As I dig through her, I'm sure I will have several questions, so am opening a forum now on it. First question- Where could I find any identifying numbers to verify what she is? All I have so far is the body number, is there a website to run that number through that could give me more details? 

mel (2).jpg

mel2 (2).jpg

P10 Roadking (Roadmasters are Buicks).  The round rear directionals look like later add-ons.

It's been awhile but i believe the engine number is on the driver's side of the block.  Not sure what info you're hoping to find.

Two hints if you are not already aware:  The wheel lugs on one side are reverse thread. The "L" in the bolt head means left hand thread. The brake cylinders are stepped bores so the piston only comes out one end.  Yes, I learned those the hard way.

Engine number on left side of block, at the top, near the front. Look for a stamped number behind the generator. Serial number on the driver's door post. These are key to ID the car. Also a plate on the firewall that has numbers indicating color, upholstery etc. Give us the numbers and someone will know what they mean.

As Bryan points out left side wheel bolts are left hand thread, you have to be careful, sometimes hubs get swapped over the years. Also, positive ground 6 volt electrical system. That means battery is connected 'backwards' to modern cars.

There are other unique features to old Chrysler products, most of them good, like electric wipers when most cars had vacuum.

I had a 41, and it was still vacuum wipers.  But I agree that the mechanical features were excellent for the era and price, like hardened inserts on the exhaust valve seats.

Familiarize yourself with the trim differences between a P9 and a P10, the two model levels, if you have to do as much trim shopping as the photos suggest (or maybe a pile of trim came with it!).  The backlite is I think curved, and is the same for P9/P10 - snag one when you find it.  The rest of the glass is flat, no problem to replace.

19 hours ago, bryankazmer said:

P10 Roadking (Roadmasters are Buicks).  The round rear directionals look like later add-ons.

It's been awhile but i believe the engine number is on the driver's side of the block.  Not sure what info you're hoping to find.

Two hints if you are not already aware:  The wheel lugs on one side are reverse thread. The "L" in the bolt head means left hand thread. The brake cylinders are stepped bores so the piston only comes out one end.  Yes, I learned those the hard way.

Thanks! I appreciate all the tips and correction..just got her a couple of days ago and just getting started in al lthe research to see what I have here. 

14 hours ago, bryankazmer said:

I had a 41, and it was still vacuum wipers.  But I agree that the mechanical features were excellent for the era and price, like hardened inserts on the exhaust valve seats.

Familiarize yourself with the trim differences between a P9 and a P10, the two model levels, if you have to do as much trim shopping as the photos suggest (or maybe a pile of trim came with it!).  The backlite is I think curved, and is the same for P9/P10 - snag one when you find it.  The rest of the glass is flat, no problem to replace.

Luckily, she came with a cab full of spare parts, handles, trim, all the hard to find pieces. Havent gotten into cleaning them all up yet, but on first inspection, they all appear to be in fairly good condition!