• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
On 11/26/2022 at 10:38 PM, Marty Roth said:

Our cable network is showing episodes of Highway Patrol

OK, now I'm hooked -

Despite how hokey they now appear, each day's episode is recorded on DVD, and I unabashedly, and unapologetically watch them in my spare time rather than a rehash of the prior rehash of the "news". Most episodes feature 1958 vehicles, with several earlier models for background.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I wrote an article for the Torque Tube in the 1990’s on the California Highway Patrol use of Buicks in 1937 or 1938. I visited the CHP headquarters in Sacramento and went through their archives for photos. Of course the car of choice was the Century 2 door sedan. As I recall I got some good stories from retired officers. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

In the 1950s and 1960s on Highway 50 from Sacramento to South Lake Tahoe there were unmanned 1955 retired CHP Buicks positioned strategically to scare drivers into slowing down. There were even plywood cutouts designed to look like 1955 CHP Buicks. Unlike Interstate 80 Highway 50 was and still is fairly curvy and is not a superhighway.  As I recall the story was that someone had lost a child in an accident on Highway 50 and used the unmanned CHP Buicks as a safety campaign to encourage drivers to slow down on their way to the gambling tables at South Lake Tahoe. As children my siblings and I would look forward to sighting these dummy CHP cars on our trips to Tahoe. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...