Prepurchase Inspection/Appraisal

Jasper4247

Hello again everybody. And, once again, I tank all of you for your feedback and help several months ago.

Just an update. The car arrived here in Western PA in an enclosed carrier on February 10th in the middle of a snowstorm with the snow blowing sideways, and the temp in the low 20s, and darkness had already set in. The two guys who hauled the car were from Texas, and were attired in short sleeves and shorts and I really felt bad for them - they had a bad experience. They had another car in front of mine that they had to take off before mine could be driven out. It was a modified Corvette built for the racetrack, and ran on racing fuel. They had a heck of a time getting it started, but finally succeeded. My Merc had a very short drive of 20 yards right into my friend's storage building. Then these poor guys could not get that Corvette started again to get it back in the hauler. Attempts to push it in were futile due to all of the snow on the ground, and the fact that it had to go UP the ramps into the hauler. After 30 minutes of this, the snow was covered thick on the Vette and, being a racer with no windows, there was good bit inside too. Finally, my friend retrieved a 4X4 with a winch , and with some questionable engineering was able to pull the car into the hauler through the rear door via the cable coming in through a side door. What an ordeal! Those guys were probably never so cold in their lives - heck, I was freezing and I'm used to it.

All this time my Merc was warm and dry in the building :)  They were very thankful that we stayed to help them out, and off they went to New Jersey with that snow encrusted Vette.

Anyway, I thought I would post of few pictures the Mercury. Spring FINALLY arrived in Western PA and the rain FINALLY has stopped. I took it out of storage and brought it home the other day. Haven't stopped smiling since.

bb%DRTXuS7iHrQT4iG4smg.jpg

tS6Qyt+BRu61Yu534+LQsw.jpg

PTK4JRRRRxav8rcbYbcD2A.jpg

P+9+0IApTXa74zcQcw1FYg.jpg

Image 2-3-21 at 6.21 PM (1).jpg

• Like 12

Merc looks great! 

I had two cars shipped cross country a while back that arrived with so much dust on them I imagined something happened klinda like what happened to that Corvette.  No snow or moisture, though, fortunately.

On 1/17/2021 at 6:42 PM, 60FlatTop said:

I will go for $1,000 per day plus actual expenses. There will be no doubt in what you are getting.

That would be cheep If one was purchasing a Duesenberg Burnie. Dandy Dave!

Jasper,   

Thanks for the heads up email about seeing your Mercury.  Looks great, I hope you have a much fun with old cars as we have had

with ours.  It's the perfect car for AACA Sentimental Tours (Cars 1928-1958)   Get it reliable and join us, held ever other year someplace

interesting.  See the USA on back roads with other cars of your vintage.   Ray Fischer of New Jersey drives the twin to yours.   Watch

the AACA Tour schedule and we'll you on the road.

DSC00065.JPG.438a19b0d156211a4eda9d5483283b17.JPG

You will have that joy of first seeing the car in person roll out of the trailer and into your garage forever to keep you happy. Every mile you drive it will bring you back to that moment. It is what old cars are all about.

• Like 1

My wife and I had the Merc out for a drive yesterday, and we stopped at the local Dairy Queen. A young employee, about 20 years old, came out and wanted to know all about the car.

Many questions, asked to see the engine, more questions, etc. The bottom line it that it was so nice to see a young person so interested and enthused about an old antique car.