Rare 1934 DeSoto Airflow * untouched original survivor * - $8,500 (Glendale)

airflow.jpg.0ec118bbac306af575dfc5c792f9bd90.jpg

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/cto/d/montrose-rare-1934-desoto-airflow/7262968676.html

* I know photos are descriptive, but please read the ad *

Very original, and rare, 1934 DeSoto Airflow. Only 2 owners in the last 85 years. 29K miles from new. It is still sitting less than 300 miles from when it was bought new in 1934.

The Airflow is currently located in Southern Oregon, but I will be bringing it down to LA soon.

Lovely 1st year of design.

I bought this Airflow from the second owner's family. The son and his dad were still driving it at 93 years old. He bought it from the original owner nearly 50 years ago in Astoria, Oregon. It was sold new in Porland, Or. In the file with the car are several Airflow Club magazines as well as a 25 year old great short article on the previous ownership.

The car is 100% complete with no modifications, theres even a service sticker on the door jamb from 1956. The headlight lenses are marked left and right and are in perfect condition, its still 6 volt and the paint is still lacquer.

It does have seats, I just removed them to clean the interior.

The interior is 100% original with nothing re-done or replaced since 1934. After cleaning the seats, I had them covered in custom-made, clear plastic to protect the original fabric, this way you will be able to sit on them, and, be able to see the original fabric.

This paint has lots of great patina and crazing/checking. Its fascinating just to walk around the car and study the paint.

The car was running and driving only a couple years ago before I picked it up. I did turn it over and made a list of what would be required to get it running, so I just had the distributor fully rebuilt and the carburetor too ($900).

In order to drive the car the brakes will need to be done, and would be best to remove and clean the gas tank.

The headliner is completely original but there is no vinyl material on the top so it is exposed to the elements. A correct reproduction of the roof material can be, and should be installed.

It does have some rust around the running board mounting point on the passenger side which is why the running board is not attached. There is NO structural rust.

Had indoor space, but alas that vanished and now it is stored under cover outdoors which pains me to see, thus the sale.

I personally would love to see it running and driving as is without any restoration, I think that would be the most fun for a while, then maybe restore it later. It can only be this original once, and there are very few in this, "as found" condition.

The car also comes with a couple thousand dollars worth of spare parts. Carburetors, distributors, seat frames, running boards, etc.

There is a fantastic club and valuable resource called the Airflow Club. They are VERY active with their cars, and also very helpful for parts and history, etc. In fact that is how I got the correct distributor and carburetor rebuilt- by an Airflow Club expert ( thank you John Librenjak ) I would highly recommend joining the club for further help and fun.

Please respond with a phone number.

• Like 4

That seems like a great deal to me, but I know nothing about these cars. Very historic automobile, and that's the extent of my knowledge.

So what is the proper thing to do with a car like that? Restore completely or just get it reliably operational? It looks like both might be viable options, but don't know which would be financially optimal.

• Like 2

So, Just what does "untouched mean?"

Seats removed, running board removed, no vinyl top, rebuilt distributor and carburetor.

It looks like the hood is not attached.

"100% complete with no modifications."

These cars are pretty cool but terribly prone to rust.

That is a great car at a very reasonable price. All the hard-to-replace bits seem to be there. If it  were not 3000+ miles away. I'd be awfully tempted. If John L did work on the carb and distributor I know it was done right. I think I would just get it fit for the road and enjoy it as is. It will clean up pretty well.  Somebody's going to be the lucky owner of a real gem!

Edited by 36 D2 Coupe (see edit history)
  • Like 2
7 hours ago, steveinky said:

The ad seems to be missing an important detail which was included in the Nov/Dec Airflow Newsletter ad.

I just checked it out - you are right. Some important information missing. Buyer should ask a lot of questions.

I'm not comfortable spilling the beans, so you'll have to read it for yourself.
This ad was posted in the Nov/Dec Airflow Newsletter by the previous owner.
Still not a bad deal.
Have a nice day
Steve

IMG_3177.JPG

FYI:
I bought out a parts store to get the bearings I needed to rebuild my '36 DeSoto Airflow 6.  I've since sold all the remaining main bearings, but I have some rod sets left.  This engine was made from '34-'36, and nothing interchanges with the very popular '37 up MoPaR 6's.  It's not impossible, but it's expensive.
Good Luck
Steve

Oh the hobby.  Virtually everything needed to be done is getting priced so high that few cars are getting restored.   This car is more of a curiosity, as in - an automotive artifact - than it is a lustful object d' art.  I would love to buy it, but let's face it - the Airflow Club had 1st dibs and passed.  Not so much for the engine, as for the total cost to restore. 

• Like 2