Antique Automobile Jan/Feb

The new issue just arrived !  Enjoying the articles. Haven’t seen the new membership card yet but not worried about it as I still have no place to go where I may need it. 

I’m a little surprised the card isn’t used as the mailing label for the first issue after new order or renewal order. It would solve the problem of not getting card or knowing the association received it when you get an issue after renewal. It would also save postage dollars for the association. It’s an easy process and we did it for years for a national association with a much smaller member list. Also if you just did it the first issue or two of a new year the savings would be good, the annual membership date has to mean the majority of cards are being sent in Jan/Feb. just a thought to try to save a few bucks. 
dave s 

ps. Steve if the GM ( or should I say gm?) brass comes looking for that Oldsmobile sign, let us know. I’m sure you will have a large number of membership show up as your support backup!  Lol

Edited by SC38DLS (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Doubtful most gm brass knows what an Oldsmobile is anymore. They had sure forgotten what an Oldsmobile was supposed to be the last fifteen years of the marque's existence.😡 It's what happens when you hire a general manager/VP whose experience was laundry soap and toothpaste, and who believed putting the same formula in different packaging would work with cars the same as it did with laundry detergent.

An MBA from an expensive big-name business school doesn't mean a thing if you do not understand your business.

• Like 4
3 hours ago, rocketraider said:

Doubtful most gm brass knows what an Oldsmobile is anymore. They had sure forgotten what an Oldsmobile was supposed to be the last fifteen years of the marque's existence.😡 It's what happens when you hire a general manager/VP whose experience was laundry soap and toothpaste, and who believed putting the same formula in different packaging would work with cars the same as it did with laundry detergent.

An MBA from an expensive big-name business school doesn't mean a thing if you do not understand your business.

The contact lens guy got caught after he went back to that company (where he came from) when they found out that he DID NOT have an MBA.  Just some classes.  They penalized him one year of no bonus.  What would happen to you or me if we lied on an employment application.  This is the same company that was putting the same contact lenses in three different boxes and charging three different prices.

The soap guy was from a different company in southern Ohio.

• Like 1
Guest Mark McAlpine
8 hours ago, SC38DLS said:

The new issue just arrived !  Enjoying the articles. Haven’t seen the new membership card yet but not worried about it as I still have no place to go where I may need it. 

I’m a little surprised the card isn’t used as the mailing label for the first issue after new order or renewal order. It would solve the problem of not getting card or knowing the association received it when you get an issue after renewal. It would also save postage dollars for the association. It’s an easy process and we did it for years for a national association with a much smaller member list. Also if you just did it the first issue or two of a new year the savings would be good, the annual membership date has to mean the majority of cards are being sent in Jan/Feb. just a thought to try to save a few bucks. 
dave s 

ps. Steve if the GM ( or should I say gm?) brass comes looking for that Oldsmobile sign, let us know. I’m sure you will have a large number of membership show up as your support backup!  Lol

I don't know anything about publishing & mailing a magazine, so there might be some reason we can't do this, but it sounds like a great idea to me--I'll make sure Steve sees it.  Thank you!

We have explored all sorts of ideas for sending out membership cards including putting them in the magazine but so far for a variety of reasons it does not work for us.  Yes, other clubs can make it work but we have some unique issues with doing it that way.  You can request a second card to be mailed or we can email you a pdf quickly.

As to the Baush & Lomb guy, Ron Zarella, maybe the worst executive I have ever come across.  He made Karen Francis GM of Olds and talk about incompetence! If I said all I want to, I might cross the legal line.  All I can say is that he was over-confident in his abilities, a proven liar about his education among his hell bent methods to destroy GM.  He lost sight of what made GM great and tried to sell cars like dish soap.  GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!  

Edited by Steve Moskowitz
writer was incompetent in spelling incompetence :) (see edit history)
  • Like 5

Can say that when I was there, GM tended not to put good people in charge of lines planned to be dropped. OTOH that was when GM was worried about being declared a monopoly and split the assembly plants from the car lines so that none could just be split off. Also saw "creative accounting" used to close a plant despite having a profitable line.

1 hour ago, Steve Moskowitz said:

As to the Baush & Lomb guy...He lost sight of what made GM great

Great analogy!😃

B&L has been cheapened beyond belief too. My 55 year old B&L binoculars are a pleasure to use, along with the magnifier my Grandma used for years. Now they peddle tactical flashlights under license.

My 1974 Ray-Ban Aviator sunglasses (made by B&L and received as HS graduation gift) are beat all to hell but have served me well. The 2016 pair of polarized Wayfarers I treated meself to as a retirement gift were made by Luxottica and fabrique au Chine after B&L sold the Ray-Ban brand.

Now that we've once again swerved all over the road, Antique Automobile has helped keep me sane during the plague. One more benefit to a life membership is I don't have to worry about renewals. DK what effect life membership has on the club financials, but if you enjoy old cars it's worth considering.

At my age just cannot justify $700. OTOH cannot log into AACA. Keeps saying it is going to send an e-mail but never does.

I can appreciate that, Padgett. I crunched numbers when I was 49 and figuring living to 70 it would work for me. Past that is gravy. Just hope I'm lucid enough when I'm old that I can still read and appreciate the magazine.

"Life Member of AACA" will be part of my obituary.

• Like 1

In the rear view mirror for me. 70 is the new 50 + discounts.

Didn't see anything on the membership page, just the $700 rate.

This thread is a reminder that I'm no longer one of the young guys here.   I always said that "when I joined the local club in Florida that I

was the youngest guy in the club and I still am."  That was 1972!

All of a sudden I'm 75 and probably an old fart, to many.   Retired at

55 and have played full time for 20 years which seems like a flash in time.  Discounts?  

When I started doing Great American Races in 1984, I was a young

gun at 38,  now I'm a survivor.   A lot of great people known all over

the country and lots of great experiences on races and tours.  

Isn't there a song, All the Car's I've Known Before?

Still waiting for mine in Southern Florida......I expect it by the end of May at the current postal service performance.

• Like 2

Still waiting for my copy here on long island too.

Paul , you mention being an old fart - well some years ago there was a car club here on long island named the FART stood for Friends of Ancient Road Transportation

• Haha 1
On 1/18/2021 at 9:20 AM, Steve Moskowitz said:

We have explored all sorts of ideas for sending out membership cards including putting them in the magazine but so far for a variety of reasons it does not work for us.  Yes, other clubs can make it work but we have some unique issues with doing it that way.  You can request a second card to be mailed or we can email you a pdf quickly.

As to the Baush & Lomb guy, Ron Zarella, maybe the worst executive I have ever come across.  He made Karen Francis GM of Olds and talk about incompitance! If I said all I want to, I might cross the legal line.  All I can say is that he was over-confident in his abilities, a proven liar about his education among his hell bent methods to destroy GM.  He lost sight of what made GM great and tried to sell cars like dish soap.  GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!  

I lived the nightmare working for GM during those years.  He did not know the car business when he came to GM and did not learn a thing while at GM.  He never understood brand management in the car business.  It is almost a miracle that GM can even sell cars from his damage.  The corp started to really go down hill with the ascension of the bean counter in 1980 and their(his) lack of product knowledge.  Finance people only know how to count beans, not supply a product to the customer that the customer is willing to pay for.  A business can only coast on it's reputation for so long before it collapses. 

Edited by Larry Schramm (see edit history)
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, Walt G said:

Paul , you mention being an old fart - well some years ago there was a car club here on long island named the FART stood for Friends of Ancient Road Transportation

Mine arrived in Sea Cliff on Thursday, and my buddy got his on Saturday in Hicksville

"ascension of the bean counter in 1980" - I could see it in the early 70s just then there were still enough people who knew what they were doing.

Guest Mark McAlpine
18 hours ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

Members should realize that life memberships

are greatly discounted to anyone over 70 years of age.

We noted that in our regional newsletter a few

years ago, and I assume that discount still applies.

I just confirmed with AACA HQ that Life Membership for those 70 & older is $350.  Anyone that wants to do it should call HQ.

56 minutes ago, Mark McAlpine said:

I just confirmed with AACA HQ that Life Membership for those 70 & older is $350.  Anyone that wants to do it should call HQ.

I’m 70 next year and may just do that, I think it’s called the “optimistic rate”.......

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, Mark McAlpine said:

Crap, I already renewed.

21 hours ago, Walt G said:

I live 2 miles from Walt, and I received mine on the 15th. That's the mail for you. Speaking about The AACA Magazine, I always look forward to Matt Hocker's articles, where he features  brochures and ads from the library archives on various topics of interest. Matt is a dedicated worker, and , without a doubt, one of the nicest folks in our hobby.

• Like 1

The January/February issue just arrived today. Nice issue , note John S. comment - he lives 2 miles away and got his issue nearly 2 weeks ago! HUH?

The USPS at work, sort of, maybe.......................  Just happy it arrived at all

Nothing here yet in Va. I'm still not getting my weekly antiques newsletters. Got a nice reply from Antuque Weekly but after three emails to Antique Trader customer service less and the subscription dept without response I finally emailed the Editor. Got a nice quick reply after threatening to drop my subscription. Well see...

• Like 1

Just remember folks, we do not mail the magazine out of Hershey.  They are printed and mailed in St. Joe, Michigan.  Really makes little difference but just for clarity sake the club is not actually putting them in the mail! They all go out in about 48 hours and according to the post office they still are not out of the woods with the tremendous volume during the holidays, COVID and some new procedures by the post master general.  Another words, things are not great. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Steve, appreciate the response, patience is a virtue I hear. Of course now we also have the impact of winter weather too. There's a reason I don't live in Michigan. 

Terry

Remember standing in a Delco parking lot at 0dark30. Wind was blowing. About 20 below. Within 6 months of graduation was living in Austin Texas (the other state I like).

Not a complaint, just an observation. I have not received my copy. I also let my subscription to Hemmings slip, renewed in november and havent gotten anything from them yet either. My old cars weekly is about the only one I can somewhat count on. Sometimes I will get 3 issues a week, then none for a month!

22 hours ago, Steve Moskowitz said:

Just remember folks, we do not mail the magazine out of Hershey.  They are printed and mailed in St. Joe, Michigan.  Really makes little difference but just for clarity sake the club is not actually putting them in the mail! They all go out in about 48 hours and according to the post office they still are not out of the woods with the tremendous volume during the holidays, COVID and some new procedures by the post master general.  Another words, things are not great. 

Thanks, Steve.  I saw the mailing label mentioned Periodicals Postage Paid At Hershey PA And Additional Entry Offices.  I should have known better to assume the mailings are done from Hershey and the club utilizes a mailing service to send Antique Automobile.  Either way, it has to pass through the Harrisburg postal facility to eventually get to Lancaster, so I can assume it will be held up in transit.

On 1/27/2021 at 6:42 PM, padgett said:

Remember standing in a Delco parking lot at 0dark30. Wind was blowing. About 20 below. Within 6 months of graduation was living in Austin Texas (the other state I like).

Almost a duplicate of your experience.  I was working for GM in Flint and graduated 3 months after getting married. (still have wife 1.0.  Best decision in my life)  A year later we were living in Birmingham, AL. We were there 4 years and then transferred to Dayton, Oh.

There is still hope (I hope).  Today I got a Christmas card from a friend who lives about 2.5 miles away.  He mailed in on December 18th.  Wondering if someone at the PO saw "Jan/Feb" and thought that provided them some flexibility for delivery!

Terry

• Like 1

Got a call Friday that my renewal check sent on Jan 14th had just arrived.

YEAHHHH My Jan/Feb issue arrived today.  Dropped everything to read it (as usual).  Really enjoyed Steve's comments on collecting.  Another outstanding issue all the way.

Terry