Jump to content

49 Chrysler windsor fluid(s) question


Recommended Posts

Hi everyone. I just bought the above to add to the "fleet" 55  Belvedere, 56 Windsor, 60 Adventurer, 68 Newport & a 63 Galaxie (oops)! my only ragtop

The 49 is my first fuid drive & it's a kick to drive. Being an older resto it dosen't need much but it does need carpet. so when I pulled up the old stuff I found two access panels, one shows two cylinrical "cans" with wires. These cans are attached to the side of the trans . Above that is a smaller access that states "fill here"

I'm guessing thsi is for the fluid drive???? also guessing  90 weight????  Next to the cans at the larger access is a square  plug , this tells you if the trans case is full???

Can anyone tell me if any of these guesses are right.

Any thoughts are MUCH appreciated.



Edited by Handyman
spelling (see edit history)
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The two 'cans' are the electric controls for the transmission shift, there are three units, a governor a kickdown solenoid valve and ignition interrupter switch.

Both the transmission and fluid drive take TDH tractor fluid, ISO 22 or ISO32 grade. This can be bought at Walmart, auto parts stores and farm supply stores. They are filled separately. The fluid drive fill is through the removable plate below the dash board, on the right side of the  transmission tunnel. Take off the plate and there is a hole that should have a tin knockout plug. Pry out the plug, rotate the engine and a fill plug will come into view. Stuff a rag around the hole, unscrew the plug and top up the fluid drive. The reason for the rag is so you can't drop the plug inside the bellhousing or out on the garage floor.

The trans has 2 square pipe plugs on the right side. Top one is fill and level, bottom for draining the oil. It is supposed to be changed every 10,000 miles. Fluid drive unit never needs changing it is a sealed unit. Take the top plug out stick in your finger, if you touch oil it is fine, otherwise put some in until it drips out. Put the plug back in there you are done.

These are a very rugged, simple and reliable transmission one of the earliest efforts at an automatic drive. They have some characteristics of a manual trans and some of an automatic. They require a special driving technique that is easy to learn.

I prefer to start the engine with the trans in neutral and the handbrake on. Let it warm up until it will run at a slow idle. Step on the clutch, shift into High (lever away from you and down) and release clutch completely. It will not stall, that is what the fluid drive is for. Release the brake, step on the gas and away you go. When you get going 14MPH or more lift off the gas pedal and you should hear a soft *click-clack* from below the floor boards. Now you are in high gear, step on the gas and go someplace.

When you get to a stop sign you do not need to shift or use the clutch, stop and take off again like any automatic, when you get to 14MPH lift off the gas etc.

Low range is away from you and up, for slow driving, driving in mud snow or sand, taking off on a hill or anywhere you need extra low gear or to drive slowly. In Low range you shift up at 6MPH. You can shift on the go from Low to High range using the clutch.

If you stomp on the gas at speed up to 50MPH it should kick down to a lower gear like any automatic.

Reverse gear is toward you and down, take off the same as in forward gear.

Do not slip the clutch, it is rather small and not made for slipping, use the fluid drive.

The shifter is like a 3 speed standard but with only 2 forward and 1 reverse.

Hope this helps, and good luck. Come back if you have any other questions.

Edited by Rusty_OToole (see edit history)
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Create New...