Cadillac 1931 Sedan UK, Help.

Dave Phillips

Hi, 

I’m in the U.K. and a very good friend of mine has passed away. He owned a local restoration company until he retired about 10 years ago. 
In 2004 we visited the states on a car buying trip and he bought a 31 Cadillac town car, we brought it back to the U.K. and he completely restored it, body off, new pistons all chrome plated and new interior.

The car is now for sale, and I was wondering what you guys thought would be the best thing to do with it, Option 1, to try the UK Auction company’s or Option 2, import it back to the US and try to sell it through the US Auction company’s.

it been for sale at local classic car garage for a while, with no luck.

Thanks for any advice.674EAC56-AC1E-494B-8082-6DC59BB5ADCB.thumb.png.6d19b3c99de2a1fe01f1f24c6b604336.png

Hello, it’s not a 1931 Cadillac Town Car, it’s a “town sedan” or “Club sedan”...........which means quite a lot to most people, in both money and desirability. If it hasn’t sold, it’s directly related to price. It’s neither a common or rare car. The market for these cars is very soft, and offering it in the states doesn’t make sense. More photos would help, as it’s possible the car is modified.........I was recently contacted by someone in the UK looking for help. If it’s the modified car, it will also be more difficult to sell. Having owned more than a dozen 1931 Cadillacs..........I’m very familiar with them. I may know a buyer that’s interested......but only if 100 percent stock, and priced at current market value. PM me if you like. 

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)

Hi, 

Many thanks for the information, as far as I am aware the car is standard apart from the carb was changed, as there was a problem with fuel evaporation, but I am sure the original bits are still with the car. 
I’ve tried to add a link for the website selling the car but my computer skills aren’t up to much. The company  is called Thornfalcon Classic Cars and I found the advert on a UK site called Cars and Classics. If you’ve got time have a look and let me know what you think.

Cheers  Dave 

I found the photos...£50,000 (about $75,000) is, I expect, beyond its current market value despite the restoration which would have cost more than that. It looks to have been fitted with some sort of downdraft modern carburetor and I've no idea how that would effect the value - but Ed certainly will.

https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/user/ccts1099/

I have an identical car and if I could get $45,000 for it, I'd be delighted. Mine has the sidemount covers, a correct carburetor (the wrong carburetor suggests that whomever was working on it didn't make it right), and an overdrive for touring. The restoration is older, but it does have a brand-new $10,000 interior. It's a very good car but not perfect.

$50,000 for a fairly ordinary 4-door sedan, Cadillac or not, is probably the top of the market.

007.thumb.JPG.dfa879ecbdeaf325b2e1c93038b84c53.JPG

• Like 1