Belts for 64 with ac compressor removed

64Rivvy

Sorry if this is a stupid question guys. I'm about to send my ac compressor out to be rebuilt. Can I run a smaller/different accessory belt to still spin the alternator/generator while the compressor is out of the car. Would like to still be able to run and at least move the car around. Assuming the rebuild will take a month or two to get back.  Car is a 64 with stock ac, stock pulleys, belts.  Thanks. 

Edited by 64Rivvy (see edit history)

Sure. Buick used the two belt system to increase the belt to pulley surface area. Many other makes use separate belts for alternator and a/c compressor.  See if you can find a picture of a non a/c car. I think you'll see only a single belt driving the alternator. Here's a picture of a nailhead running a single belt for the alternator.

Nail-head-engine.jpg.b3f440157448ff36ea48b13bc4605475.jpg

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

I just did this for a '65 Riv. GS I rebuilt the 425 engine for. I put EVERY ONE on a start cart to check to make sure EVERYTHING Is OK BEFORE the customer comes to check t out. Of course the vehicle has A/C, BUT of course there's no A/C compresser. The belt I ended up using was a 3/8ths. wide belt by 54" long. Was able to get good adjustment out of it to run the water pump. Wasn't worried about the fan blade as I use an electric Volvo fan so the fan blade is NOT nec. to run the water pump.

ALSO it's safer for my hands & other body parts when setting timing etc.

Tom T.

• Like 1

Thanks.  Will measure and see if I can find one the right length.  Thanks for the note on the adjuster on the alternator. Ive seen one on the power steering pump to that looks adjustable but didn't know there was one on alternator bracket also.