1928 Chrysler Oil Gauge Servicing

This may be more of a technical question but perhaps we have someone who has worked with this.  The oil gauge pointer has spring to it but does not return to zero.  The line into the back of the gauge is 3/16 copper and was broken off directly at the entrance point.  Taking the first nut off I found the copper line had been inserted through this odd looking silver fitting that appears to be some type of compression fitting/ferrule.  Can the pointer be set back to zero?  Can a standard 3/16 copper ferrule be used to reconnect a new 3/16 copper oil pressure line? 

100_0939.JPG

That is just a standard ferrule that used to be very common.  The nut was slid up the tube, the ferrule was slipped over the tube and the tube was inserted into the gauge.  When the nut was tightened the ferrule was crimped into the tube.  Sorry I do not remember the specific weatherhead name for that style of fitting.

I had the same problem with my oil pressure gauge [1930 66]. I found if you carefully hold the gauge housing and with the correct size spanner slightly turn the brass fitting that the oil line fits into on the back of the gauge housing you can re-set the needle rest position. I think the problem is caused if when fitting or removing the oil line from the back of the gauge to much force is applied the outer fitting. Also if your very patient you can remove the olive that is soldered on to the oil feed line.

Cheers Mark

• Like 1

Olive? From what I can see, there is no solder involved, the copper line was just inserted in the ferrule and attached to the gauge.  That copper stub is not coming out of the old style ferrule, that is why I asked if a new ferrule could be substituted for future use.

The needle is secured to the other end of the copper spiral tube, which as you know expands a bit under pressure causing the needle to move. Easiest solution may be to carefully apply some pressure to tube causing it to change it's shape slightly (making it slightly smaller in diameter) thus causing arrow/pointer to move towards O on gauge. Carefully is key word!

• Like 1