1953 Pontiac Chieftain 2dr Hardtop Windshield Sun Visor

a.lincoln

Hi there,

im looking for a Windshield Sun Visor for my 1953 Pontiac Chieftain 2dr HT.

i have bought already two visors in shops and on ebay for 53-54 chevy hardtop (painted in pics) and sedan (black in pics),
but rather the roof line and the width nor the mounting brackets fits my car...

i tried these visors:

sedan visor: https://www.ebay.com/itm/352209946277

hardtop visor: https://www.ebay.com/itm/383399298660

the seller now changed to chevy only 🙂 since i reported that it does not match!

maybe you have suggestions?

any idea where to get correct brackets only so i may can interchange?

thanks in advance for any tipps or offers...

HardtopVosor (2).jpg

HardtopVosor (3).jpg

HardtopVosor (1).jpg

SunVisor2 (1).jpg

SunVisor2 (2).jpg

HZEV0717.JPG

I am a former 53 Chevy sedan (with original equipment visor) owner. I can't answer but I do have some thoughts and know what I would do next.

Regarding the hardtop visor, it is WIDER than your car? How can that be? I can imagine a Pontiac being wider than a Chevy, but not the other way around. GM reused some stampings and bodies across divisions, but there are only about 3 different "sizes" of GM car. In 1940 for instance, Pontiac offered all three.

Your roof looks exactly like a 53 Chevy hardtop to me. I would be willing to bet it is the same stamping, and anyway Chevys are smallest and the only way to go is up. That wider visor must be for a some car that uses a larger GM body, maybe a Buick or Olds.

Regarding the sedan visor. It looks exactly like what was on my 53 Chevy sedan, and yes sedans are different, so that one isn't what you want. That curve approximates the curve of the sedan's trim, but it does not match quite perfectly even on the car it belongs on. Also, they are tilted down more than your picture shows. From inside the car they cover more windshield than you would expect.

I would start by looking up windshields for your car and seeing if the 1953 Chevy hardtop takes a different windshield than the 1953 Pontiac hardtop. Be sure to leave Canadian Pontiacs (Pathfinder, Laurentian, etc.) out of your search as they really did use whole Chevrolet-type bodies from the cowl back, and that will confuse the issue.

Good luck.

Edited by Bloo (see edit history)

i may have something to solve the issue... a guy told me, every pontiac need some "vent assembly guard" to fit the visor... see picture in blue... i dont have these, seams very hard to find them...
any suggestions on this? is it possible that they are needed? where to get them?

thank you all

1954-chevrolet-bel-air.jpg

• 2 years later...

This style of bracket would fit my 49 chevy convertible that i have been looking for some time now.. where did you locate it at ? 
do you still have it and if you aint going to use it are you intrested in selling the 2 brackets.? 
are they reproductions or original.?

IMG_1388.jpeg

• 1 month later...

There are three different windshields for the 53-54 Chevys and Pontiacs, dependent on body style.  Each fits the same corresponding body style between the brands.  Can't imagine there being trim differences between Chevy and Pontiac, re: fitment of a visor.

Station wagon is one windshield.

Convertible and hardtop is the second one.

And sedans are the third one.

Edited by KURTRUK
Clarity (see edit history)

On 11/22/2023 at 5:23 AM, Whatever said:

This style of bracket would fit my 49 chevy convertible that i have been looking for some time now.. where did you locate it at ? 
do you still have it and if you aint going to use it are you intrested in selling the 2 brackets.? 

IMG_1388.jpeg

These brackets

On 11/22/2023 at 5:23 AM, Whatever said:

IMG_1388.jpeg

That's not the correct bracket for 49-52 convertible I'm pretty sure it should be the 50-52 brackets for a hardtop they have a different shape. 

20 hours ago, 1942aerosedan said:

That's not the correct bracket for 49-52 convertible I'm pretty sure it should be the 50-52 brackets for a hardtop they have a different shape. 

That style is exactly what i need, it will mount to the inside of the door pillar. Do you still have the 2 end brackets.? Are they original or reproductive.? Where can i get me a set or are you interested in selling those if you ain’t using them?