Adapting stock air cleaner to modern Edelbrock carburetor

patrickaturner

I recently purchased a 1964 Riviera that has been updated with a modern Edelbrock carburetor. The previous owner decided to also go with an Edelbrock air cleaner which I am not fond of. Fortunately, I have the stock air cleaner and hope to install it. Has anyone found a solid way adapt the old air cleaner with its 4.125" opening to fit a modern carburetor with a 5.125" opening without adding too much height?

IMG_3965.jpeg

IF  you could find one, the 66 Riviera Gran Sport used a 63/64 style pancake air cleaner. If you're familiar with the 66 Riviera, you'll know that those engines came with a Rochester Quadrajet carburetor. The Qjet and the aftermarket AFB's, both Carter and Edelbrock, all have the larger 5.125" air horn. That's what someone has done here.

2104617722_unnamed(1).jpg.4bc557e8ebe77a5e07d981a0cdd36fed.jpg

Or find an old Qjet air cleaner, cut out the hole, and weld it into your stock air cleaner.

6 hours ago, RivNut said:

IF  you could find one, the 66 Riviera Gran Sport used a 63/64 style pancake air cleaner. If you're familiar with the 66 Riviera, you'll know that those engines came with a Rochester Quadrajet carburetor.

Tough enough to find a '66 Nailhead Q-Jet intake manifold! The image is the 1st I've seen for a '66 Riviera GS, must be ultra rare like the 2X4. 

The guy that does slip under furnace replacements could probably knock one out in 10 minutes.

Along that line of thought, we taught a novice some basic tin knocking skills. He transferred them to cardboard and started repopping Barbie boxes.

Shouldn't be hard to roll one out.