Identify a chevy 6 cyl engine

Passah Mick

I have been doing some research and have not found the info I am looking for. I have an engine that was given to me for my 1942 Chevy 1/2 ton pick up which I am restoring. The engine is a GMC 6 cylinder with a serial number 228I26672 (that is the letter I, not number 1) and a casting number 6107326. I am trying to find year and displacement for the engine in order to get the correct parts. I believe it is a 1953 vintage 235, but I don't know for sure. See photos. I would really appreciate the help.

IMG_3506.JPG

IMG_3511.JPG

IMG_3505.JPG

IMG_3509.JPG

• Peter Gariepy changed the title to Identify a chevy 6 cyl engine

Same general family as a 270,but as Carroll 1  states the " baby " of the family, the 228 Cu.In. version. I don't think they were used in anything bigger than pick ups or possibly 1 ton's. Bolt in exactly the same as a 248 or 270.

Greg

2 hours ago, greenie said:

228. Much better than its Chevy contemporary, the 216. The 228 has bearing inserts and is a torque monster.

However, it’s not a simply bolt in replacement. Get some help over at the Stovebolt page.

I’m certainly not the expert but believe that the 228 is actually a couple of inches longer (affecting the motor mounts) than a 216. The GMC frames are different for the same reason. 

• Like 1

It would be easier to use a later model 235 or 261 Chev six. Millions were made from 1954 to 1962. The 261 found only in Chevrolet trucks 2 ton and larger, and Canadian Pontiacs. The 235 was standard equipment in Chevrolet cars and trucks.

The GMC engine was swapped into Chevies before the V8 came out in 55 but they usually went for the big 302 cu in one. A lot of extra work to swap in a 228 which is actually smaller in displacement  than a standard Chev six.

I had a chance at a 270 GMC and considered swapping it into a 42 Chev I own but turned it down in favor of a 261.

Edited by Rusty_OToole (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I first saw the poster's topic, "Identify a Chevy 6cyl engine".  Then I scrolled down, only one frame and; whoa, Not a Chevy engine.

I remember my Father's garage, back in the 1950's; and GMC engines were not plentiful at all.  But Chevy 216 and 235 engines were very common place. 

The 235's with a standard transmission; propelled those big heavy cars, of the day pretty good.