All Creatures Great and Small (automobile identifications)?

alsfarms

2 hours ago, dictator27 said:

Leyland is a British maker of medium and heavy trucks.  Along with Dutch truck maker DAF they are subsidiaries of PACCAR (Kenworth and Peterbilt).

From a quick look on the net I see that Leyland still exists. When we visited the UK last - in 2016 - the most common make of truck on the road - by a big margin  - was DAF. I presume those DAF trucks are built in England by Leyland.

Here in NZ - even though we are a small market - there is a very diverse range of heavy trucks, about evenly split between between European, American and Japanese makes. Not my thing but I think a truck spotter would enjoy a trip to NZ. Not welcome here at the moment through due to Covid restrictions. 

We have diverged somewhat from All Creatures Great and Small though.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, alsfarms said:

Hello Pfeil,  Thanks for your observations and comparisons to the original characters and show with this new version.  I have not taken the time to have a "movie marathon" and watch the all the original series from start to finish.  Your perspective is important as you have been there and met original folks.  On the other subject, yes I have been humored and have enjoyed "As Time Goes By" and do recall how Lionel simply was not humored at all or even with the idea that a "rewrite" would make him more money.  That is another nice BBC show that is fun to watch.  In conclusion, I simply do not have the depth of experience with the subject of the series All Creatures Great and Small", but I do enjoy it for what it is.  I consider this current "All Creatures Large and Small" of way better quality that most of the US shows available on TV currently.  I can miss most other shows but it aggravates me if I am required to miss "All Creatures Large and Small".

nzcarnerd,  What do you think is the current world wide "work horse" of the trucking industry?  You are right, GM has sold off its big trucks, Ford has, Chrysler has also as well as the old International Harvester is gone from the heavy trucks?  I suppose Volvo, Mercedes and I guess Fiat are a few of the big players?

Al

I think Volvo is a big player in the US nowadays, although how they compare in size with PACCAR I don't know.

Fiat became IVECO some time ago.

Nissan sold off their truck arm some years ago  It is now UD trucks. Like most of the big players they are a global business.

On 1/26/2021 at 5:47 PM, capngrog said:

I don't recall having seen one of these in the original series, but since it was built in England from 1932 to 1937 as a Ford Model Y Tudor, it certainly could have been "seen in scenes".

https://thumbor-production-auction.hemmings.com/289251/36-ford-model-y.jpg

This example has been "hot rodded", but we can still see and appreciate the original design/styling.  It looks like a 3/4 scale model of the Fords or the era.  I've never seen one of these Ford Model Ys, but this one is quite attractive and would probably look even better in stock form.

Here's a link to the listing on Hemmings:

https://www.hemmings.com/auction/1936-ford-other-1?utm_medium=email&utm_source=auctions_newsletter&utm_campaign=2021-01-25

That's a really cool looking car and reminds me of the vintage London Taxi Cabs.

Cheers,

Grog

As far as I know the Ford Y was a Dearborn design. It essentially tested out the 1933 big Ford styling a couple of years early. The small side valve four cylinder engine remained in production even longer than the Ford T did. In the Y and later 10 hp models it was 1172 cc but there was also a smaller 933 cc version for the 8 hp models.

I know someone who has a 1931 prototype Y which has some different design features that didn't make it to the production models.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nzcarnerd said:

I think Volvo is a big player in the US nowadays, although how they compare in size with PACCAR I don't know.

Fiat became IVECO some time ago.

Nissan sold off their truck arm some years ago  It is now UD trucks. Like most of the big players they are a global business.

I admit that this thread has had some "topic creep", but would like to point out that IVECO (The International Vehicle Company) is not just Fiat.  It is made up of five truck building companies.  Three Italian - Fiat, Lancia and OM, one German - Magirus-Deutz, and one French - Unic, hence the "International". They all operate under the IVECO banner.

Edited by dictator27 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

dictator27, You are certainly sharing information I didn't know at all.  I am sure that no part of the old US International Harvester company is related to the International Vehicle company you refer to?  "Topic Creep" a bit but this all started as a result of my question about a truck on the reboot of "All Creatures great and small" and a truck that looked a lot like a 1940's International Harvester to my US eyes.  I enjoy this forum venue!

Al