How to test the C.O. tester??

nick8086

Hey guys and girls this is nothing to take a chance on!  Do not run your car in a closed environment without the exhaust vented!  I knew the family involved in this tragedy along with all of the first responders and this is not something to be messed with

https://www.thestar.com/life/health_wellness/2009/10/22/monoxide_tragedy_leaves_powerful_legacy_year_later.html

On an even closer level our summer cottage is on a remote lake that has a propane fridge.  About our 3rd summer my wife kept complaining about the smell of fumes in the cottage and of course I kept dismissing them and then I put in a combo propane/ CO detector and the first night with the doors and windows open it kept going off, needless to say that fridge is gone.  

Years ago I was reading one of those Consumer Reports year end compilation books and there was a section on recalls. Those kitchen gas refrigerators (back to starting date of 1935 or so) were listed as recalled, do not use. 

Back when houses were so leaky I guess the fumes were dissipated. But when houses got insulation and other sealing, TROUBLE!

They were still popular in RVs (might still be) as three way power fridges. AC DC LP.

4 minutes ago, Frank DuVal said:

Years ago I was reading one of those Consumer Reports year end compilation books and there was a section on recalls. Those kitchen gas refrigerators (back to starting date of 1935 or so) were listed as recalled, do not use. 

Back when houses were so leaky I guess the fumes were dissipated. But when houses got insulation and other sealing, TROUBLE!

They were still popular in RVs (might still be) as three way power fridges. AC DC LP.

That's why the CO detectors are so important in any enclosed space that fuel is burned, including RVs and trailers.  I should have mentioned that the cottage is 24 X 24 so basically a 2 car garage and the front door and at least 2 windows were open.  Just put that in perspective of a small less than 10 cu/ft fridge running compared to a car running and the risk that you are putting yourself under.  

The fridges were made  by Servel and are fascinating pieces of technology made simple.  ( Einstein and Szilard worked out the basics of the absorption fridge and held patents)

Unless they are direct vent appliances ( combustion air and exhaust to and from the outdoors) ALL gas appliances need provisions for outside makeup air

A properly functioning Servel is nothing to be worried  about provided you 1) allow for make up air and 2) properly maintain them and 3) install a properly functioning CO detector as backup.

The problems arise when the burner is not maintained and people run them in sealed up dwellings.  A major design flaw on early models was the verticaI burner located right below the flue the allowed soot to drift down and fall  on the burner orifice;  upsetting the mixture ( blue flame good, orange flame bad!) . I believe the small number of fatalities occurred under one or both of these circumstances.

Still running our 1951 model in the cabin. I service it annually and change the batteries in the CO detector.

I can still get $100 for it if I wanted to turn it in but new fridges are $3000 and , as my neighbour would attest to , not nearly so reliable. Plus it's really neat!

Agreed CO is nothing to mess with and one needs to be cautious but I find it interesting to see this reference on a site where I'm sure many of us insist on driving vehicles that carry way more risk than that fridge.

I'm pretty sure there are a lot more valid reasons to recall my Model T and pretty much any of our vehicles up to and including the 1980's !!

Brad

• Like 1

• Peter Gariepy changed the title to How to test the C.O. tester??

We park our motor home in the same building with our antique cars.

The motor home has a C.O. detector inside.   Any time I start a car in that building, even with the doos open, I hear the detector go off inside the coach!   It does not take long, so I'm confident it will keep us safe when traveling, it's that sensitive!.