88 bulb confusion

Bertimus

So I need to replace a fog lamp bulb and the rear window brakelight bulb on my 88. I've been reading though post after post and there seems to be more confusion as to the correct bulbs. So I'm coming to you guys for help. I'm not looking to upgrade to brighter lights/LED (unless it's the only option), I really want to keep the bulbs factory correct, because I read that certain incorrect bulbs/wattage can melt parts/draw more power. 

What are the factory correct bulbs that I need?

Thanks mates!

@Ronnie, I do have a quick question, my rear license plate lights are out (I think), but they are the ones directly adjacent (parallel) to the plate. On the chart you provided they are listed as 4- backup light bulb, and say they require 1156. But the lights perpendicular to the plate listed as 5, are not listed in the text. Does this mean they use the same bulb? If not which do they use? Also, since the lights listed as 4 are labeled "backup light bulb", does this mean they only turn on when in reverse?

Thank you so much for your time Ronnie! 🙏🏽

Edited by Bertimus (see edit history)

That has been several years ago when I made that chart. To be honest I don't know why I left  out bulb number 5. I guess it was just an oversight. If someone can tell me the bulb number I will add it to the chart.

Yes, backup lights should only come on when in reverse.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, padgett said:

Seems like I have run into both single contact (1003) and dual contact (1004) bulbs in underhood/trunk lights on different cars (88 and 90 mostly). Just have to look at the socket. Only have 88 today.

Yep, I have found the same, and they don’t generally match the FLAPS bulb chart nor the FSM? 

Yes 194’s for the license plate lights

If you are changing to LED bulbs they do not create the heat of an incandescent bulb so if you can find a chart that 

converts SAE bulb numbers to LED you can go to brighter bulbs.   

You can also do a Google search for bulb manufacturers like Sylvania and their catalog will help you select a brighter bulb.