'65 gas tank

RIVNIK

5 minutes ago, 48Super said:

Here is a picture of the fuel tank in my '65 after I cleaned it up. What you see here is the original finish and manufacturers markings on the top surface.

Original Fuel Tank Finish.JPG

Original Fuel Tank Markings.JPG

If you can't get yours back to the factory finish, Eastwood makes a product called Tank To one which will get you close. Here's the tank on my 64 after spraying it with Tank Tone.

20150927_141605.thumb.jpg.85a841761729faba5b562a2d355eff74.jpg

• Like 2

I recently bought a repop on eBay which came pretty much like Gungeey described, a zinc color. This looks like a powder-coat finish. I topped it off with a few coats of satin clear Krylon.       Hopefully that will help preserve the finish. Thanks for the info & pics, guys.     Drew

Clear coating the tank is a good idea. How well clear coat sticks to bare metal?  I don't know.  When I get a bare metal piece cleaned up to OE specs, I spray it with Eastwood's "Diamond Clear for Bare Metal."  It comes in both gloss and satin.  It might sound like I push Eastwood products. They don't compensate me, but they seem to have exactly what is needed for every restoration product. It might cost a bit more and you pay shipping, but I think it's worth it.

• Like 1