Slow and missing mail..The new norm a comming.

So far this past December

I have a letter with Postal money order sent to a forum member and has not been received.

Being sent on 12-12-20.

It is now in the process of  investigation and is to be replaced if it has not been cashed within 15 days from today.

On the same date 12-12-20 I sent out a vintage water pump priority mail and that is MIA also and the post is looking into it.

That was insured.

Some of my friends also having packages way long over due and some letters undelivered.

This past summer 2 packages from McMaster Carr never showed.

The UPS driver had stoped at my house to deliveron to different occasions  and both times the packages were NOT on the truck and he left .When I flaged him down next chance I heard the truck he said they( the packages) showed up scaned for delivery on the truck but were not.

One package showed delivered hours before UPS came down my street..(and left nothing)

Dealing with UPS reps was useless.

To McMaster Carr's Credit ,they sent out replacments the day I reported to them and had the items next day!

Where does the stuff go?

The Twilight Zone mail box?

Some go into never-never land. Had one package ordered in November reported in Jamaica NY for almost a month. Merchant gave refund at end of December when vendor was unresponsive. Showed up after first of year. Was told to just keep it. Had another sent from Calif to Fla spend two weeks in Hawaii.

OTOH I receive a couple of hundred packages a year (rarely leave my house, even get cat food from Chewy) and few go wrong.

Tracking is a great help. Amazon is even sending a photo of the delivery location.

It's the inconsistency that's frustrating.  I received a priority mail medium flat rate box last week that took 42 days to ship 263 miles from an adjoining state.  But then just today I received a mailed package from an Ebay purchase in 3 days.

• Like 1

I just hope the check I sent the Hershey Region for my flea market spaces arrive for the Oct. 2021 event!

USPS is no better then UPS, I can well understand and appreciate the huge increase in use of mail service to deliver goods due to our pandemic, but that is no excuse for shoddy service or just so many mistakes . Will it get worse?

• Like 1

I always look for "fast and free" on eBay. Also usually the location is usually listed.

All of the services are about the same, just a whole lot better than sending an order form with a check or MO to JCWhitney (East of Miss) and waiting for several weeks. Life is much better now.

• Like 1

I found out the hard way, on New Year Day, that my bank card expired Dec 31st.   When I got to the bank this past week for a replacement I asked if they were no longer sending out new cards in advance of the expiration of the old cards.   They confirmed that my new cards were mailed out over a month earlier.   I never received those cards.   Another “It got lost in the mail”.    This is nothing new.   My wife and I were married in 1984.   Prior to our wedding we sent out wedding announcements.   Later we found out from friends and extended family that nearly half of our announcements were never received by the recipients.   We could never figure that one out since most of those lost announcements were mailed in the same town as the recipients.   

Been having the same problems. I had a car buddy send me some parts the first of Dec. He only charged me shipping of about $20. As of today I still have not received them and spent $100 and bought them locally. In return I mailed him a MO for $75, figured I would give him a bonus. To this day he has yet to receive that!! The same day I mailed the MO I did a direct payment via Walmart for some parts in ALA. That was a monday morning. By thursday the parts were on my door step. I had a customer payment over a month late which was really odd. He finally sent me an email asking if I ever got his check seeing that it had not been cashed. Told me he paid 4 bills the same day and none of them got to the intended. Mom was also having problems not getting stuff in the mail. 

I have personally never had any problems with shipping receiving. Until now that is.

33 minutes ago, Walt G said:

I just hope the check I sent the Hershey Region for my flea market spaces arrive for the Oct. 2021 event!

USPS is no better then UPS, I can well understand and appreciate the huge increase in use of mail service to deliver goods due to our pandemic, but that is no excuse for shoddy service or just so many mistakes . Will it get worse?

Given the current state of USPS; and the Hershey Region no longer sending out confirmation cards-think twice before you drop that space renewal in the mailbox. Living in north central MD, our mail to Hershey would go to a Baltimore facility, then Lancaster, PA- and then on to Hershey. The Baltimore facility had mail piled in mountains before the Holidays. So we took a road trip to the downtown Hershey post office. The nice lady there grabbed my renewal, stamped it with the hand cancel stamp, and stepped into the next room and deposited it into the Region’s PO Box, #305. She said, there you go. I said, thanks. 
Priority mail flat rate boxes to the west coast routinely take 2 weeks. Some items purchased weeks before Christmas have still not arrived. Only Amazon deliveries from their own fulfillment centers seems immune to these delays.

Yeah, something else for our next President to tackle!

I bought a small item from a forum member a couple of weeks ago. Paid paypal and he sent same day.

I was quite surprised that it only took two days coast to coast.

The mail car goes down my road after dark, I must be towards the end of the route. I have lived on the same street (different homes) for 47 years and rarely see the mail car during regular business hours.

But at least I get to visit the neighbors fairly often when we get each others mail. I have a large box and is not uncommon to get other peoples  stuff that have small boxes, Its one of those six box stops.

• Like 1

As the member services director of the Vintage Chevrolet Club of America I can state:

July 2020 the postal service reliability went to heck. 

Delivery of the club magazine went for taking 5-10 days to taking 10-20 days. The problem continued...

Coincidentally the problems started when Postmaster General Louis DeJoy was appointed. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

No need to get political. The problems with the USPS are serious and began long before Trump’s tenure. The system needs significant overhaul taking into account the other delivery services they have as competition. Most postal workers are hard working and committed. They need help that can only start at the top.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Sorry Peter Gariepy, this is a problem with the USPS that been headed this way for at least 25 years and has only gotten worse over time. You can't blame these kinds of problems on any President or who they appoint. And, yet, the U.S. government just keeps on bailing them out. I believe it's past time to turn our mail over to the large host of companies who can deliver it nearly overnight.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Luckily there's a small rural P.O. 3 miles up the road. It's not the one I get my mail thru though- that one's 14 miles the other direction. The closer one's RFD ends 1/4 mile from the house at the state line, and the carrier has to make a loop into VA to pick his route back up on another highway in NC. The VA mail carrier has to do the same thing, looping into NC.

Go figure.

Postmaster up the road tells me the holdup is at the hub serving central NC and VA.

The monthly bills get here late, but the junk mail always gets here on time!🥴

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Any more I do almost everything online or via my credit union bill pay. That way I have a record that it went out.

Thanks for the warnings folks. It seems like 20+ years ago, quality of the USPS had gone downhill and some people were wondering if it would survive. Then it started to come back, at least in terms of reliability, efficiency and helpfulness of employees. A result of competition maybe? Now, there are problems again.

To be fair, we had United Parcel Service lose a package to my son a couple of months ago. To make matters worse, their efforts to resolve the issue were very substandard. I've also had my moments with Fedex, too. 

Ordered a part out of Canada. To Canadas credit it was in NY in a couple of days. It sat there until yesterday and has now finally moved on. What a joke. I wonder what their going to blame it on after Covid? 

CPC tracking #
  • Jan 8, 2021
  • 4:19pm
  • PROCESSED THROUGH USPS FACILITY
  • BETHPAGE, NY 11714
  • Dec 23, 2020
  • 9:46pm
  • ARRIVED AT INTERNATIONAL SERVICE CENTER
  • ISC NEW YORK NY(USPS), 11430

So far I haven't had any problems with items shipped priority mail. Regular mail however...............we're still getting Christmas cards that were mailed the middle of December, in the same state.🤪

6 hours ago, Peter Gariepy said:

Coincidentally the problems started when Postmaster General Louis DeJoy was appointed

Yes he removed many sorting machines a little before the elections and never fixed the problem after congress asked to have them replace. You can see the interview on you tube.

I am also waiting now 4 weeks for payment of parts. When we hosted the Vintage Tour in Kingston in 2019 registration took on the average of 2 weeks and now much longer thanks to Louis.  

In 50 years of business USPS has never lost one item and very few suffered much delay from a mis-handle. That is small parcels  or mailing envelopes with my jewelry work in them to 69# boxes of tools. They always came through.  We insure each one and have never had a claim..With that kind of record we could have saved a pile by self insuring. But that's OK. Tracking is good. The postal people have always been hard workers and conscientious as far as I can tell and courteous .

That being said some directed changes have been nonsensical . There used to be a slot for "town" mail. It was hand cancelled and placed the addressed box within a very short time. One day word came down no more town slots. All mail goes to a sorting center. 

My wife helps run our elections and with the loss of the postal machines the election folks decided to ask the our Post Master to open that town slot up for absentee ballot return mailing. The PM thought that was a great idea and immediately opened the slot up for that purpose. A postal inspector found out and made the PM close the slot again, on word from the top.

The buck stops at the top and without good leadership most anything can go to hell. Certainly other factors enter into the business, competition, Covid and other things I am sure. That is what management is about, meeting challenges.  But the will has to be there and it was not intended to be there this time around. An already challenged organization faced a new one at the top.   Jim43

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Sadly the confluence of a natural disaster and contrived, sometimes mindless, but always hamfisted, political, interference has done what the previous two hundred forty years had not been able to do. It has shaken the confidence in America's most respected, venerable institution. 

I have been an apologist for, and tried to answer questions about, the company for whom I worked for forty three years. I know that some of the responses have been politically motivated, but I've had to ask myself how much of the constant banteer is based in fact. I'm posting a link that shows the actual USPS performance results, It show the actual effects of the last year, and they are real. I will no longer going to be reading, nor responding to, any thread that is related to the USPS. You're on your own, beat it into the ground if it satisfied some inner need. I'm finished! 

Bill

https://about.usps.com/what/performance/service-performance/

Edited by Buffalowed Bill (see edit history)
I too have experienced significant delays in mail lately. Other that that, the service provided by USPS is still reliable and I appreciate the work that the postal employees do for us.  In 60 years, I have had only a few times that I had a valid complaint about the USPS. Personally, I think it is unreasonable to try to claim the problems are caused by the Postmaster General or anything else that postal employees have done. The issues are caused by seasonal mail patterns plus the large number of USPS employees out due to pandemic exposures, plus the increased volumes of mail caused by the increased amount of packages due to massive increases in online ordering due to the pandemic plus other pandemic related influences. The following was the explanation that was sent out by AACA in the latest Speedster online newsletter:

We have received a multitude of calls and emails from members who have yet to receive their November/December issue of Antique Automobile magazine. We all know that the U.S. Postal Service gets a bit bogged down this time of year with all of the extra cards and packages that are sent for the holidays, but it seemed pretty extreme to us that some members still had not received their magazine more than a month after it was mailed. We made an inquiry about this to our magazine publisher and received this response on December 18th:

fbe2f582-2e51-4254-a2e7-3a0e7ff6f5a4.jpgWe have just received some news regarding the United States Postal Service domestic mail stream. Industry sources are reporting that the USPS is experiencing significant delays at many of their large mail sorting facilities nationwide. The increased seasonal mail volumes coupled with the labor shortages from the Covid-19 pandemic are resulting in backlogs at these mail processing centers. As a result, mail is not flowing to the delivery post offices in a timely manner.

This situation, if unresolved, could very likely result in some delivery delays for several weeks to come. Mail volumes generally start returning to routine after the first week of January.

This news is unfortunate and in many cases affects a lot of mail that is already in the mail steam. We will continue to monitor the situation and will alert customers to any new information as it becomes available.

We have also seen several articles from reputable sources such as The Washington Times, MSN and the Philadelphia Inquirer that all state the same thing -- apparently this year's mail volume is unprecedented and people everywhere are experiencing some of the worst delays in the postal system's history. Our sincerest apologies to those of you who have yet to receive your magazine. We thank you for your extreme patience and hope that you will be reading it very soon.

The postal problems boil down to very simple things.  Unprecedented amount of packages for the last 9 months then throw in the regular Christmas rush.  Less way to move them with fewer air lines flying over most of the last year that they used to ship some mail, plus I would imagine a high level of sickness and Quarantine as required by the disaster that's still effecting us so less man power.  Throw all that together and it's a disaster.  I can see why sorters were removed,  less and less letters being processed as more people move to digital payments and billing, but higher rates of packages.  Exactly what I would do,  get rid of equipment we don't use much to replace with equipment to sort packages or even space to hold them.  You don't keep a huge stock of rotary phones at your store,  if the world is using cell phones,  or equipment to service them. 

I use the USPS exclusively. They are still good for what they provide and I ship alot of media mail.  Yes it's slow,  but my customers are cheap so that's what I require.

I get maybe 1 out of 3000 packages come up missing if that.

Really not bad considering Fed Ex just delivered someone else's package to my house.  UPS dented a 1949 Cadillac bumper and lost 3 of the 4 rechromed guards.  So they all have flaws.  You just have to pick the one that works best for you. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

i'm not gonna dive into political possibilities, but prior to july my mail arrived at 11 a.m. every morning. now it's there anywhere from 1 p.m. to 6 p.m., but that's not the worst of it. i live in a duplex, 2 adresses on one house. every day i find someone else's mail in my box. since i have some time on my hands, i will usually walk around the neighborhood and deliver them to the correct adressee. it's getting old, so tomorrow i will be taking my next door neighbor's mail to the post office and probably getting myself put on a pain in the ass list. btw, the mail carriers used to have some personal pride and wore their uniforms, now they look like bums.

10 minutes ago, 42319DB34 said:

True Story This :

Friend sent parcel of auto parts to AUSTRALIA

parcel was delivered delivered to AUSTRIA  ........ Twice.....

It’s the same thing........just different!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'm a postal Brat. So I've heard stories from both sides of the fence. It boils down to this, there are incompetent people in every job description. From the people at the top all the way down to the bottom. Not just USPS workers but also doctors and janitors. I even heard a rumor that there may be one or two in Washington DC.😲

They give the hard working people a bad name and there is nothing they can do about it. It frustrates the end users and their complaints go unheeded. We had a really nice mail carrier for several years but he couldn't sort rocks from potatoes. We never knew who's mail was going to be in our box but the guy was so sincere that we couldn't get upset with him and nobody up the line seemed to know how to handle it. 

What's a person to do? 

I have to say that I just had a Priority Mail shipment from Bolt Depot delivered to my home at 7 p.m. on Sunday evening by the USPS.  I was impressed!

When was it mailed?!😺

I can't grumble abou USPS. Rural route delivery has always been timely for the most part. What gripes me is when a bill payment is mailed in plenty of time to get there before cutoff date and time, but if it's received one minute after cutoff time you get slapped with a late fee. I'm at war with DirecTV over that right now. Finally told them this afternoon they could remove the late charge and I remain a customer, or not remove it and I'd cancel the service and they send a tech out to remove all of their equipment from my premises.

Automatic payment is not an option for me with them. That only works if the amount is the same every month, and no two consecutive months are ever the same due to changes in taxes and fees. Ought to just put up an HD antenna.

• Like 1

Around here the only real problems I've seen seems to be with periodicals.  I get a weekly antique newspaper and delivery is running so spotty on it I've about given up trying to figure out which issues I'm missing.  I'm sure this is all really hurting companies that produce those as they rely on timely deliver for auction announcements-that their advertisers pay well for!

I hope it doesn't hurt subscriptions, and I sure as heck delay in receipt of our own club magazine doesn't impact membership renewals!  

Hershey space renewal is somewhere between here and there.

Terry

Couple of weeks ago I purchased a new Tracfone around noon on Thursday. Payed $4 for quicker delivery and it was here in Eastern SD when I got up (around 9am) the next day. How in the world do they do that? They must have some real pull with FEDEX.

Businesses should be more tolerant with their customers during the times of COVID delays, postal overload and holiday mail.  We got our cable TV bill on January 4th, it was mailed December 8th from a town 60 miles away.  The due date was December 30th.  Major national department store hit us for a $30 fee even though we told them the payment was in the mail. We paid it again in person and then they got our check and now they won’t refund the overpayment, we get it as credit to our account.  Poor business practices but my wife won’t dispute their decision.  Grrr...

• Like 1

That's when you start going up the chain of command, looking whoever in the eye, and tell them this is the way it's gonna be. If it's a store card, if it means cutting the card in two in front of the store manager and closing the account, do it. They will then have to refund the overpayment.

Sometimes you have to play hardball.

Other Terry- is that by chance Antique Week? The Dec 22 and Jan 5 issues both got here today. Dec 22 paper has an orange sticker w the number 5 and some type of barcode on it. To their credit both of these are the largest issues I've seen all year. 1/5 has 32 pages! I think the biggest one since the plague started has been 24.

Wasn't going to pile on in this discussion but couldn't resist after today's delivery. I noticed last week that I didn't get the last water bill, so I went online and paid it. Today I got the bill with an over due date of 12/31. The funny part is the post office and the town hall, where the bills are sent from, are in the same building, you do have to go outside and back in.

Did send my Hershey flea market forms in today and took it to the post office for hand/dated postmark.

I got a priority mail package of about 5 pounds of car parts from Washington State to here near another Washington (either Washington, VA or Washington DC) in three days, Jan 5 to Jan 8 at my door. USPS.