64 Heater hose kinking

Trying to run and install my heater hoses and my 5/8 hose keeps kinking. I got some of those gates springs to stop the kinking which worked on the smaller heater hose, but no luck on the 5/8.  Here are some pics.

Anyone have any pics or maybe a better hose type/brand I should use? I got these from opgi a while back and they look nice and original but seem pretty thin walled. 

I finished replacing the entire cooling system and also finally got my shroud fitted which took me forever.  Going to get everything running again and make sure everything is solid before pulling the valve covers and intake to clean and paint them and brackets and pulleys while I'm having the ac compressor rebuilt.  Also going to replace the water pump, timing cover and a few other items while everything is off.

Any help or ideas appreciated. Thanks.

20210108_214657.jpg

20210108_214628.jpg

Edited by 64Rivvy (see edit history)
  • 64Rivvy changed the title to 64 Heater hose kinking

I might look at that today. I really was trying to make it look as oem as possible, but might be what I need to do.   

Will a 90 degree bend so close to the heater connection nipple on the firewall restrict flow at all?  

Those hoses should run from the heater core around the back and side of the carburetor to the front of the engine. I've dealt with this several times on my '63 and '65, it's a pain in the ass. It should be laying down by the heater core, not up like yours seems to be.  For reliability, the worm gear clamps should be used also, not the spring type. Look at some pictures on the internet to get an idea of the routing. 

1964-buick-riviera engine.jpg

5 hours ago, kegart said:

You can buy heater hose with molded 90 degree bend on one end . Then trim to fit. It cost more than regular hose but worth it.

Kevin 

Thats exactly what I did on my 63 with Air.  

Posted (edited)

Thanks. I was trying to run it like the diagram from the shop manual which makes a loop from the heater core, routes immediately over to the bracket on the firewall and then down the pass side valve cover.  The original hoses must have been molded with the loop in it.  I just got back from advance auto and got a 3 ft piece with a 90 degree bend. They didn't have a 60 inch. It might be just too short. Going to try it a little later. Will let you know how it turns out. Thanks. 

Edited by 64Rivvy (see edit history)
  • Like 1

If it's too short ask advance if they can order a longer hose. I think I may have had to do that because they only stocked a couple different molded hoses. It's been 2 years since I changed mine. 

Kevin 

I asked and they said that was the longest they had. Will go to Napa if it's too short, otherwise they are available online but hoping to refill with coolant tomorrow and possibly even fire her up.

I had the SAME problem around 1982 with my '64 Riv.  No matter what I tried it would kink or just look totally out of place.  I went to NAPA & they had heater hose that had wire INSIDE, it CAN'T kink.  Been on my Riv. since, what, about + or - 35 years???

Tom T.

Those original hoses were molded. We're left trying to emulate that.  Dave Gee found heater hoses that had a wire impregnated in the hose that made it possible to bend and shape as needed.  I'll try to find a picture and post it.

I have had success running the return hose next to the drivers side valve cover, across the front of the intake manifold from drivers to passengers side with a mild loop back to the water pump nipple. This routing eliminates the bend at the heater core which is a cramped area and moves your bend/left to right transition to the front of the engine which is both easier to get at and allows more room for your bend and adjustment. As with the passenger side there are several sharp edges using the drivers side routing so be careful of contact areas and "rubs".

Tom Mooney

Similar to Tom above, I take the passenger side route, been working for me on a number of cars.

This is a 64, the heater valve is long gone, hence my manual valve near the fuel filter

Hope this is of some help:

hose.jpg

I was able to run the line successfully today using the pre-bent 3 foot piece i got from advance which was a part from dayco. It was just long enough.  Here's how it turned out. Looks nice and neat and at least close to oem routing. 

I also got my lower radiator hose permanently installed, tranny cooler lines connected and my shroud dialed in. All that's left is to run new rubber fuel line from the pump to filter and carb while I have access, reinstall the fan, upper hose and fill the system.  Then refill oil and tranny fluid and hopefully get her started back up in next few days. Getting excited bc she hasn't run for almost 4 years while I've had the car torn apart. Also remembered I need to drain the fuel tank and put some fresh fuel in there also. Thanks for the help on this. 

20210110_143839.jpg

20210110_143851.jpg

20210110_143901.jpg

• Like 1

They are there but someone bent them to hold wiring instead of the hoses. i tried to bend them back to shape but the metal started to crack so going to have to look at it again later or get new/ replacement brackets. Thanks for the pic. Helpful on the proper routing.