Silicone on 1958 buick rear prop shaft?

Chcknugget

Hello,

The rear end of my Century is out so i took the opportunity to clean all the ATF oil out of the tube.  I took the prop shaft out and there seems to be a ring of a flexible substance near the rear greasable spline. Looks like wax but feels like silicone.  Anyone ever see this before? There doesnt seem to be any mention of anything like this in the shop manual. Whatever it is doesnt appear to do anything so I’m wondering why it’s there.

121CDC85-6F83-4FBA-8300-E9D082E6CCF5.jpeg

Splines look great, both u joints are nice and smooth. Will put some fresh grease in the rear splines. I cleaned up the tube to paint but oil kept seaping from the ungasketed rear mating flange. With everything clean I’m hoping the paint will stick!

In some truck-based driveshaft slip yokes, at the cap end of the yoke (the cap screws onto the yoke itself, as a part of it), there usually is a felt "seal" backed by a white-type plastic backing plate.  Usually about 1/8" thick or so.  It and the felt have corresponding splines cut out of them, so they slip right over the splines easily.

Not sure of what's supposed to be inside the torque tube mechanism, but what you describe (and its location) seems to coincide with the plastic seal-backer I've seen in the new (older model) slip yokes.  Might look for it in the Buick parts book under "driveshaft slip joint seal"?

Just some thoughts,

NTX5467

On 1/8/2021 at 10:56 PM, Chcknugget said:

Hello,

The rear end of my Century is out so i took the opportunity to clean all the ATF oil out of the tube.  I took the prop shaft out and there seems to be a ring of a flexible substance near the rear greasable spline. Looks like wax but feels like silicone.  Anyone ever see this before? There doesnt seem to be any mention of anything like this in the shop manual. Whatever it is doesnt appear to do anything so I’m wondering why it’s there.

121CDC85-6F83-4FBA-8300-E9D082E6CCF5.jpeg

Does the '58 have that Zerk Grease fitting from the factory?  I would say that driveshaft has been worked on before and that silicone may have been put there to prevent any oil from getting into the inside of the driveshaft itself.

On 1/10/2021 at 8:33 PM, JohnD1956 said:

Does the '58 have that Zerk Grease fitting from the factory?  I would say that driveshaft has been worked on before and that silicone may have been put there to prevent any oil from getting into the inside of the driveshaft itself.

There is a zerk on the driveshaft. There is also a corresponding hole in the torque tube to grease the zerk. The hole in the torque tube has a flanged plug in it.