1929 Chrysler 75 Front and Rear Snubbers

Is there a company that reproduces the correct snubbers for the front and rear on a 1929 model 75?  I believe they may be the same on other models but not sure. The picture is from the net of a model 75 with the snubber on the spring and above the axle.

snubber.jpg

Hi, I believe your shocks may not be of the snubber type.  I have 4 of those on my car.  They are Hassler brand and look similar to the one in the photo.  A fabric strap goes to the axel and provides the tension.  Your frame does not appear to have the brackets needed to support the snubbers so a different shock was used.  Where did you get the nice "bags" to seal the ends of your shocks?  Did you replace the rubber cushions inside the end caps?  I'm assuming the bottom one came off with the bottom cap but how did you get the top one out? 

IMG_0606.thumb.JPG.543beef9d17b1867aeda32852016eaf9.JPG

I am looking for the rubber snubber or or also called the rubber bump stop on top of the front spring and the ones that go on the back. I think my heading might have been misleading calling them snubbers like the snubber shocks. These are bonded to metal plates the front ones are held in with "U" bolts sand the rear are bolted in.

DSC01115.JPG

Wow, never saw those for sale anywhere, my 1928 has similar but they appear to be in decent condition.  Check out my post today regarding the rubber cushions on the spring ends.  Maybe someone will respond with a solution and/or product that will allow you to repair or cast your own.

Steele, Metro, and Scott's Rubber in AUS will claim they have some of that stuff, but what I have bought through the years did not impress me and the word generic springs to mind. I had much more success in gathering rubber stops from parts cars, painting them before putting the 90 year old parts on my car. It is these days you anyhow very rarely need the full travel of a suspension so a fossilized rubber block does not matter much.

The leather gaiters that cover the spring rubbers on all 8 spring ends can be sewn from an old as pattern or you just make one. My upholster guy fitted them with shoe lacing to create the securing straps. In afterthought I could have made those myself from leftover leather pieces.

Narve, I have run into the same, many of the parts that I find seem to be unimpressive. I may have to make my own, but I really don't want to make the mold to vulcanize if someone ells makes good ones. This stuff is over 90 years old and only a few companies will even do vulcanize rubber to metal.

20 hours ago, Sasha39 said:

Hi Narve, 

Happy New Year to you, you wouldn't happen to have a pattern of the leather gaiters you can share?

Believe I have some old remnants, will get back to the issue. Be advised that one size does not fit all as some rubber block housings are much larger than others.

• 2 weeks later...

Leather gaiter dimension refer photo. I reckon the general pattern is identical on all 8 ends, with 16 cm across the spring side of all the gaiters. The other end will vary on the design of the cast-in-two-pieces spring clamp, on a Series 65: 4x 27cm like this one, plus 2x 30 cm and 2x 35 cm. You can control those measures and make your own imperial ones by measuring the circumference of each style of mount and spring.

780180764_210115DimensjonartreuliketyparfjrovertrekkCR.thumb.jpg.526a34930a629795e3895e8db3d02f26.jpg

Edited by Narve N (see edit history)
  • Like 1