1934 Ford coupe at eBay auction. Very pretty. Not Mine.

I’m current high bidder with reserve met, but very frustrating that the seller will not contact me, after sending him 3 messages through ebay.  I really hate their process, you can’t send the seller your phone number or email, but I do so by spelling out each number.  Also typed in the message that he can enter my name in Google and my phone number gets shown instantly.  Still no contact. I have questions about the title, the sheet metal, the running condition etc, just like all of us would.  

• Like 4

7 hours ago, JD in CA said:

I’m current high bidder with reserve met, but very frustrating that the seller will not contact me, after sending him 3 messages through ebay.  I really hate their process, you can’t send the seller your phone number or email, but I do so by spelling out each number.  Also typed in the message that he can enter my name in Google and my phone number gets shown instantly.  Still no contact. I have questions about the title, the sheet metal, the running condition etc, just like all of us would.  

The problem is not eBay but the seller.  I would be very careful.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, jpage said:

I was told that Ebay no longer allows direct contact between sellers and buyers, I guess to eliminate off site deals.

?

you can directly message the seller from the auction.  I have not done it in a while but you could always get a phone number if the seller wanted to give it out.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, JD in CA said:

Congratulations on your current high bid - and truly best of luck - in acquiring what appears to be a very beautiful car. Sorry about your difficulties in contacting the owner. I'm guessing he's trying to abide by eBay rules, but I appreciate your anxiety. Given the no-contact policy, the seller didn't provide much very pertinent information.

I personally think this no-contact policy will essentially kill eBay's ability to sell high ticket items. It's very understandable that many potential buyers will want to drive a $80,000 collector car or play a $100,000 guitar before actually paying for it.  Hopefully, in your case, lack of response after repeated attempts to contact will be sufficient grounds to retract a bid.

As far as title questions, I can't believe the number of sellers who will say, "Uh, it doesn't have a title, but I lied about it having title on the item specifics page because eBay won't let me list it unless the title status was 'clean'." If the title isn't good like he says, that should also be sufficient grounds for backing out of the deal.

I'm wondering if one of the AACA forum's Georgia members might be able to help you out? If they live in close proximity to this car, they may very well be aware of it...and it's owner. They might be able to view it in person and look at the title for you, as well as take pictures  - or maybe a video - and ask the owner questions. Might be worth posting a request on the general discussion forum for such a member (if it's deemed appropriate per forum guidelines.)

Edited by JamesR (see edit history)

I'm confused by this "no contact policy" you guys are talking about.  Where is that?   I was swapping messages with an ebay seller 2 days ago.

Personally I think you are insane if you spend 50k or more on a car sight unseen without talking to the seller in some form.

Btw, this ebay member has only bought items,  he has a single sale to his record has far as I can tell.

• Like 2

As far as the ability to back out of a deal. Don’t worry about it. If the time comes where anyone doesn’t feel right about a transaction, DO NOT hand over your money until you are satisfied. Ask me how I know...out 25k on junk because I didn’t want to compromise my integrity. Misguided mistake. 

Edited by Doozer
Sp (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, alsancle said:

I'm confused by this "no contact policy" you guys are talking about.  Where is that?   I was swapping messages with an ebay seller 2 days ago.

I know that you can contact an eBay seller through eBay's messaging. That's not what I'm talking about.

I'm talking about the policy of not contacting an eBay seller through phone numbers. I have no personal experience with this, but that's what JD said, and I see the spelled out phone numbers on eBay. I sort of presumed that meant eBay discouraged face to face meetings before the auction ended, but maybe I'm wrong. Seems like JD has things under control.

Bye-bye odds and ends all the time on eBay, even bought a 36 Ford five window a couple months ago out of Chicago. Yes spelling out the phone number works all the time, seller calls me right away for a conversation when I’ve done that. Just this time Seller is ghost on me…

I don't  recall the details at the moment, but Ford sold Hupmobile three window coupe bodies, or maybe it was the dies, which Hupp sold as their '34 coupes. The interesting thing about the Hupp coupes was that they modified the doors so that they had no top, or upper frame to them. The Hupp doors were very much like the doors we all know as "two door hardtop doors". The glass must have simply rolled up without the door frame as a guide. Look closely at the doors on these Hupp coupes:

238203_Front_3-4_Web.jpg

You can see the remainder of the window frame (but not a door frame) in this burnt out street rod.

DSCN4364-e1558464846913-630x390.jpg

1934-Hupmobile-3-Window-Coupe

Edited by Hudsy Wudsy (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Good morning DJ this is Dale in Ks. I have an old 34 ford I may sell, it needs a lot of hugging, but it is all original Henry Ford steel, well I do have a 30 also that is not too close to my heart, Iam an old man and probably not going to get all the projects done that I would like.  

915028B8-56A0-47F4-A46F-F002447232E4.jpeg

C70C7145-3B6E-4B8A-A73C-88346128A68F.jpeg

Good morning DJ this is Dale in Ks. I have an old 34 ford I may sell, it needs a lot of hugging, but it is all original Henry Ford steel, well I do have a 30 also that is not too close to my heart, Iam an old man and probably not going to get all the projects done that I would like.  

15 hours ago, JD in CA said:

I worked it out with the seller and bought the ‘34 Ford Coupe...

Congratulations on a beautiful acquisition! That car really is stunning.

That leads me to ask: Did you first see the ad here in the "not mine" forum, or did you find it on eBay like I did?