64 Headlight Switch

Paul K.

I found this quote below from an old thread but it had many topics and I didn't revive it. 

" '64's had a relay. When the headlights were on low beam the orange/yellow parking lights would be on. When you hit the high beams the parking lights would go off ".

I replaced it years ago with one from NAPA and since then, my parking lights work only when the low-beams are on.

Did '64s have a different headlamp switch? Was the mentioned relay part of the switch or external? 

Edited by Paul K. (see edit history)

Tom, 

Thanks for your response. I'm familiar with that relay but never knew what it was for. It is working. 

I edited my original question/post because I was mistaken. The parking lamps work only when the low beams are on. They don't work as parking lights like the original headlight switch. 

Is there a replacement switch that will get me back to the original function?   

I had no idea my car had this so I checked and found it and it didn’t work. So I took it apart and found that the coil was not getting power through the plug. So I got the cover off and found no connection. I found a got a thin grade wire drilled a small hole and got it to the supply connector and attached  it. 
IT now works thank you for bringing this up. 64 riviera

Edited by Ronncece
Add some info (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Yeah, I replaced this switch 10+ years ago and I vaguely remember the new NAPA switch missing one male spade connector which I assume was for the parking lights. Can't remember for sure, it was a long time ago. My dash pad is off so I want to get this figured out now. 

• Like 1

The terminals have a bad habit of backing out of the connector for the headlights.  Check to make sure it's all the way down on the pin on the switch.  Once I get the dash back in my '64 I can check as I also have a NAPA switch in mine but last I remember it was fully functional.

• 9 months later...

Hi All, 

Reviving my old thread. Been busy selling cars vs fixing - I'm down to 4 from 10. Feels good. 

@CTX-SLPR, the all connectors in the plug are in place. The switch has one less spade connector than the plug. It seems the replacement headlight switch I was given from NAPA years ago was not correct. If anyone has recently purchased one that is correct and operates the parking lamps correctly please post. If not, @Ronncece did a nice retrofit but maybe I'll try doing this first externally with an insulated jumper wire.

I don't care what it says on the box. Made in USA probably means the box was made in the USA & NOT the part inside. Mexico on the box probably really means assembled in Mexico.

One thing we all must remember these China sourced parts are always deficent in one way or another.  One of the problems is that the male connectors on electrical switches & such are usually a very slight bit thinner than the originals which unknowingly is a loose connection right from the start. Everything MAY work correctly for awhile but problems are usually just down the road. So this requires the female wires be removed from the plastic holders & the slide on part be squeezed together to make a TIGHT connection or else if loose could create enough heat to melt the plastic connecter & maybe even cause a fire.  You won't notice this because these parts are usually hidden behind the dash, under the carpet etc.

Just a word of caution.

Tom T.

• Like 1