For Sale: 1938 Cadillac La Salle convertible coupe - REDUCED - $49,900 - Myrtle Beach, SC - Not Mine - Price Reduced to $47,900, Feb '21

For Sale: 1938 Cadillac La Salle convertible coupe - REDUCED - $49,900 - Myrtle Beach, SC - Price Reduced to $47,900, Feb '21, see below.

1938 Cadillac La Salle REDUCED - cars & trucks - by owner - vehicle... (craigslist.org)

1938 Cadillac La Salle 50 Convertible, with dual side mounts and last year with rumble seat. Excellent running condition with new top. Had a complete overhaul this year 2020 by a classic auto Co. Have recipes for over 12k. Overall the car is in very good condition. REDUCED $49,900.00

Copy and paste in your email:  f92d4a1c852737c48c1748fd24c58075@sale.craigslist.org

I have no personal interest or stake in the eventual sale of this 1938 Cadillac La Salle convertible coupe.

'38 La Salle 50 Conv coupe SC a.jpg

'38 La Salle 50 Conv coupe SC b.jpg

'38 La Salle 50 Conv coupe SC c.jpg

'38 La Salle 50 Conv coupe SC d.jpg

'38 La Salle 50 Conv coupe SC e.jpg

'38 La Salle 50 Conv coupe SC f.jpg

'38 La Salle 50 Conv coupe SC g.jpg

'38 La Salle 50 Conv coupe SC h.jpg

Edited by 58L-Y8 (see edit history)
  • Like 1
3 hours ago, GregLaR said:

Neat car!

I'm curious, would the door panels and seat have been that plain originally?

Not being an expert my first instinct said, “Art Deco — that is the style, yes.”

But a Google image search (I’ll let you guys run your own) turned up exactly O N E other actual photo of the interior of a 1938 LaSalle convertible coupe. There were minor differences amounting to the placement of one seam line on the door panel that does not match the one in this.

So that is a good question. Would anyone who actually owns one care to educate us?

- And THAT is a pet peeve of mine: Come on guys, pictures pictures pictures we love pictures. Tons of pictures of our cars and all kinds of excuses to use them and show them. But they’re all exterior pictures, a few engine pictures, lots of wheel pictures. But interior pictures? Few if any. If there weren’t ‘for sale’ ads there wouldn’t be any. Unfortunately, there aren’t too many ads for ‘38 LaSalle convertible coupes out there.

There was a thread on here recently re. photos of our car dashboards at night. Well, I was excited to see that but it died off rather quickly and not too many bothered to submit. I mean, I know there is real mystique behind the old, “who’s behind the roller shades (or later tinted windows)”, and “what must it be like in there”? But come on, it’s a mild PITA to take interior pictures but it’s not that hard.

B5BA307B-A420-44F3-86A3-F2B6FA0DF8A5.jpeg

Edited by Ben P.
Typo (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Actually I just partially answered my own question... A BIG reason for that is - aside from Model T & A Fords and a few 1930’s Chevies that had reproduction interior kits available for them - very few, if any of most models, non full CCCA Classic pre-war cars have correctly restored interiors. People aren’t exactly what you might want to call ‘eager’ to show off their cheaply or otherwise incorrectly done interiors. (Original interior cars’ are another topic. I shot my mouth off on that before — and won’t again.)

Very few interior pictures shared....

Edited by Ben P. (see edit history)
Posted (edited)

I would love to present more pictures but unfortunately the majority of Craigslist sellers are terrible at taking pictures of their cars.  If they're not blurry, they fail to get the complete car in the frame, are too dark, shadowy, just poorly lit, are redundant multiple shots from the same view, are taken at such a distance that the picture is all out doors and little car.  There is free shareware photo manipulation software to be had and few use it, none know how to focus and crop out the extraneous backgrounds etc.  Craigslist allows 24 pictures to be posted and rarely does one come across an advertisement that they are done properly to show the car to its best advantage. 

Case in point, compare this photo in the advertisement that's all foreground and sky before I cropped it to run here.

'38 La Salle 50 Conv coupe SC i.jpg

Edited by 58L-Y8
Exampled uncropped original phone (see edit history)
  • Like 2
14 minutes ago, 58L-Y8 said:

I would love to present more pictures but unfortunately the majority of Craigslist sellers are terrible at taking pictures of their cars.  If they're not blurry, they fail to get the complete car in the frame, are too dark, shadowy, just poorly lit, are redundant multiple shots from the same view, are taken at such a distance that the picture is all out doors and little car.  There is free shareware photo manipulation software to be had and few use it, none know how to focus and crop out the extraneous backgrounds etc.  Craigslist allows 24 pictures to be posted and rarely does one come across an advertisement that they are done properly to show the car to its best advantage. 

Case in point, compare this photo in the advertisement that's all foreground and sky before I cropped it to run here.

'38 La Salle 50 Conv coupe SC i.jpg

Whenever I see crappy photos for a car advertisement I just can't wrap my head around why.    Most garden variety 80 years have grand kids or even kids in the vicinity with a good to GREAT camera attached to them with their phones.   Within 1-2 minutes you could snap a couple dozen good shots of any car.     I just don't understand...

Pretty car.

GM tried to make LaSalle look more like a Cadillac in 1938 before going back to the narrow grill in '39.

Looks like the same shop that winged it on the upholstery also tried to fit the top.

• Haha 1

Hey guys. Let's get together and just say no to letting anyone refer to a car as a Cadillac LaSalle. It's either a Cadillac or a LaSalle, not both. Pet peeve du jour. Bob

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

After often being asked at gas stations, etc. what kind of car I own, and getting quizzical looks when I say it's a LaSalle, I follow up with "it was made by Cadillac". I'm sure the seller understands that a craigslist audience probably isn't "hip" to all the GM spinoff brands of the '20's-'30's. And GM certainly wasn't shy about advertising the Cadillac-LaSalle connection. 

• Like 1
  • 58L-Y8 changed the title to For Sale: 1938 Cadillac La Salle convertible coupe - REDUCED - $49,900 - Myrtle Beach, SC - Not Mine - Price Reduced to $47,900, Feb '21