What GPS Navigation App do you Use?

I’m looking for suggestions of a GPS navigator app with some features friendly to classic or antique cars.  I’ve tried a couple Internet searches, but I don’t see many app websites or list articles relevant to my search.

Some features I’d like are:

- The app MUST have the ability to manually place waypoints or customize the route.  The standard Google and Apple map apps lack this. Especially since my classic is 30 feet long, there are certain very specific road features I’d like to detour around case-by-case, not with some algorithm that doesn’t understand my situation.

- Showing elevation on the route, or at least marking steep grades.  Many bike directions apps show this, but I haven’t seen it for car apps yet.

- An app with live traffic overlay on the map, or even alerts, would be nice to avoid sitting in traffic wherever possible.

I’m sure there are other features that could be useful to the classic car community, like favoring roads with lower speed limits.  It would be nice to come up with ideas for a Google/Apple Maps “antique car mode.”  But for now, I’d just like to find something that does waypoints like my old GPS device did.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

-Steven

I prefer apps that use downloaded maps so I don't have to have a data connection while on the road. But that also means they don't show traffic so I guess I can't suggest an app. That said, I am not sure you will find one that both shows hills (bicycle or hiking focused) and shows traffic (motor vehicle focused).

I was tried and true to my old fashioned garmin, I even rigged up a mount to put it on my motorcycle whilst travelling. My wife turned me on to Waze and I hardly use the garmin anymore. I dont go crazy about features but I do know it gives real time traffic warnings. Even as much as telling where there is a car broke down on the side of the road.

There are a number of choices but most involve either a desktop or notebook PC to create the map with waypoints that is then downloaded to a cell phone or on board tablet.

Personally prefer either Delorme Street Atlas or Microsoft Streets and Trips but am not sure they are still available. If you want current traffic then you need Google Maps or one of the GPS devices (Garmin, Tom Tom) though you can download the base maps and route from a WIFI and that minimises the need for data (traffic conditions) en route.

Today I just use the built in Android phone apps. Is available in all of my cars with a $10 device. Have both Waze and Google on phone but mostly just use Google.

8intab2big.jpg

• Thanks 1

Call me old fashioned but you just can't beat that gut-wrenching thrill of vintage.

Secondary highway in the middle of nowhere, hot sunny day and not a car or building in sight, you push your hat back off your forehead then put your foot up on the front bumper and unfold one of these on the hood of your car.

maps.thumb.jpg.68722512c08bf9efbb4953848bca3791.jpg

....and the gas gauge reads 1/4 of a tank.

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

27 minutes ago, GregLaR said:

Call me old fashioned but you just can't beat that gut-wrenching thrill of vintage.

Secondary highway in the middle of nowhere, hot sunny day and not a car or building in sight, you push your hat back off your forehead then put your foot up on the front bumper and unfold one of these on the hood of your car.

maps.thumb.jpg.68722512c08bf9efbb4953848bca3791.jpg

....and the gas gauge reads 1/4 of a tank.

Just over a year ago we were on a road trip in the daily driver with built in NAV following along an interstate when we pulled off to find a two lane road and pulled out the map book - realized that by happenstance we were 15 miles from Falling Water, one of the long list of places my wife has wanted to visit.  We never would have even realized that we were that close without the map and would have driven right by.   Great detour and ended up taking in a second Frank Lloyd Wright house in the same area.  Can't beat a map!  It did lead to a discussion though of how many domestic disputes have been avoided by NAV systems....

• Haha 1

I have tried a few, and currently use 'Navigator', which runs on 'Map Factor' maps, an open source mapping system. Find something has changed? Just send in the info and they will update the maps. Download maps at home, or you could run on phone data. Vehicle parameters give Motorhome and Truck options, which may suit your 30' vehicle. Many choices of road type exclusions, to keep you out of the heavy traffic. We have a dedicated mini tablet in a dash mount. Easy to see. I have only used this system in Europe and the East, but it covers the US, and well worth a look. Not sure about waypoints, but we use 'via' this or that crossroad or village to build a route. I'm working from memory, as we have not been able to get away for 12 months, and don't use one at home. This a totally free system on your own device, or the option is there to run Tom Tom maps for a fee.

We really miss our old German 'Navigon' system. 'Scenic Route' was our favourite way to travel the back roads of Europe. Unfortunately it was bought out by Garmin and closed down. We subsequently bought a Garmin GPS, and found the European mapping to be diabolically bad, to the point of often being dangerous. The maps were many years out of date, despite their claims. We ditched that, and got onto the 'Navigator' system, which served us well.

Hope this is of some help. It is free, and you can download it onto your PC first and have a play. Nothing to lose, there.

• Thanks 1

i use google maps. actually use my computer, plot out my road trips that i do every few weeks in the 1930. plot in my route add in stops, then send it to my phone. 

i like this because i know route distance, how fast i am driving, and can see traffic, blue is good to go, yellow a little congestion, red, is heavy. no need for elevation really since mostly flat around here.

my Garmin shows current elevation :)

• Thanks 1

Thanks BearsFan315, that sounds like a solution that covers nearly every item I’m looking for, with bonus points that I’m already familiar with the software.  I hadn’t thought of the feature to send a map planned on a computer to my phone, but that’s perfect!

I do wonder if anyone will ever come out with a sort of “touring” or “antique car” mode for a navigation app, but this will do in the meantime.

-Steven

I was parts collecting yesterday, had been to the place before so I knew where I was going, however the next stop for my wife was somewhat unknown. Always use Waze so no problem. I recognized the rt no. and was thinking that it would take us directly to Hershey which was only a few miles away.  I preferred  that way but of course the app took us back to the interstate. We both made a comment that it would have been nice to have a real map and look at the broader picture, may have taken a more picturesque ride.

2 hours ago, Brill_C-37M_Bus said:

I do wonder if anyone will ever come out with a sort of “touring” or “antique car” mode for a navigation app, but this will do in the meantime.

Not sure how much I'd trust it without confirming on a paper map, but https://graphhopper.com/maps/ allows for a motor scooter option which limits it to lower speed roads. The one long route I tried also showed a elevation chart (got to think in meters for that).

Edit: Looks like that route takes you over Mt. Hamilton. Not exactly the route I would think of when trying to get to Yosemite from San Jose. An interesting suggestion though, would make it a bit of an adventure as the road up Mt. Hamilton is quite steep and the one down the back side is even steeper.

Screen Shot 2021-01-09 at 7.45.58 AM.png

Edited by ply33 (see edit history)

The Delorme I use has a choice of "fastest", "shortest", or "scenic". Can also designate waypoints. Of course it is from the last century (when "Selective Availability" was in use and had my car going down a field next to the road. Maps were accurate, GPS wasn't). Been using GPS for a looong time.

I use Allstate Drivewise, you can't add way points, just drive to them.  They never seem to know where I am, wife never knows where I am either, I'm kind of fond of the arrangement...  Oh- and they pay me cash which is just like money as LaSorda once said.  Since I have spent a lifetime debugging their crummy app to get it to run on my phone from one day to the next I just wish they would be a little more forthcoming with payments, you know- consulting fees and such.  And every time I fire up the app on my phone they tell me "HOLD TIGHT"...  What do they think I'm gonna fall outta my car?

Edited by Str8-8-Dave (see edit history)