Edit History

Please note that revisions older than 30 days are pruned and will no longer show here
Larry Schramm

Larry Schramm

I have looked in my parts book and it does not call out a particular named wedge. 

I have looked in my stash of wedges and found that the BUICK & PERLMAN wedges are identical except for the name on the wedge. BUT.............

As shown in the picture below, the first row of wedges I have a plain PERLMAN and a plain BUICK.  

The second row of wedges show WM on either side of the bolt hole.  This would stand for Weston-Mott axle company which supplied axles to Buick.  This makes sense. 

I do not know what the smaller letters below WM are for on the Perlman wedge mean.  Maybe they were used for another manufacturer like Oakland or could be a date code. 

The BM on the third BUICK wedge could be axles built after 1913 when GM bought Weston-Mott to designate Buick-Mott axle, but I do not know.  I would think either PERLMAN or BUICK wedges would be fine, but BUICK might be a later addition to axles only used by Buick or a difference for model year change.

Just my thoughts. 

image000000 (55).jpg

Larry Schramm

Larry Schramm

I have looked in my parts book and it does not call out a particular named wedge. 

I have looked in my stash of wedges and found that the BUICK & PERLMAN wedges are identical except for the name on the wedge. BUT.............

As shown in the picture below, the first row of wedges I have a plain PERLMAN and a plain BUICK.  

The second row of wedges show WM on either side of the bolt hole.  This would stand for Weston-Mott axle company which supplied axles to Buick.  This makes sense. 

I do not know what the smaller letters below WM are for on the Perlman wedge mean.  Maybe they were used for another manufacturer like Oakland or could be a date code. 

The BM on the third BUICK wedge could be axles built after 1913 when GM bought Weston-Mott to designate Buick-Mott axle, but I do not know.  I would think either PERLMAN or BUICK wedges would be fine, but BUICK might be a later addition to axles only used by Buick or a difference for model year change.

Just my thoughts. 

image000000 (55).jpg