1968 Riviera upper ball joint

I have a 68 Riviera I am wanting to change the upper ball joints on. The chassis manual describes the upper ball joint removal as drilling out the 4 welds and bolting in the replacement ball joint. Mine looks to be pressed in and then welded in place. I have not come across this type before so any advice on removal and reinstall is appreciated.

image.jpg

As you can see there are ONLY TWO welds.  ARE the ball joints loose or are you just replacing them just to replace with new???   The quality of the uppers is mostly Chinese stuff & NOT very good.  So IF your replacing them just for the heck of it most times they are installed incorrectly & the Chinese stuff will probably wear out & needing replacement BEFORE the ones that are in there are worn out.

Originally they were ONLY available with a complete new upper A-Arm from the dealer/factory.

Tom T.

They are not bad but had the front end apart so was going to replace all wear parts. Sounds like clean repaint control arms new dust boots is the way to go on the uppers.

Another question is the lower control arm bushing had play in it so was planning to replace that. When I removed the bolt the threads were worn as if the bushing was riding on them. I wouldve thought if it was meant as a shaft it would be smooth where the bushing was. Thinking the bolt is supposed to pull the mounting flanges into contact with center of bushing and the bushing is the pivot point not the bolt. Any idea if Im correct?

Check out Rare Parts for replacements. I acquired majority of my '70 front end parts through Auto Zone using 20% off coupons on the Rare Parts. Anything else I needed I bought in Moog. I don't think Moog is terrible but one thing I learned is that there are variations in their manufacturing process. For instance, if you are replacing control arm bushings make sure they are all made in the same country.

To answer your question the bolt is not the pivot, it is the bushing. Don't forget to tighten all suspension bolts with the vehicle at ride height.

Edited by 70rivme (see edit history)

You are correct. I have ran across worn bolts in the past. when going back together, be sure to have the car sitting on the tires so suspension is at normal compression then torque the heck out of those big lower control arms bolts.   

Agree With Tom. I would not replace the original ball joints if they are still good. 

Edited by JZRIV (see edit history)

Boilinoil,

When you get the new bushings you will see that the ends are serated which is to bite into the frame while tightening. Look losely at the frame where the bushings bite into the metal.   Adhere to the advise above.  

ONLY tighten with the suspenssion compressed or else the bushings will tear themselves apart.

Tom T.