Maibohm? Any info? Edited with picture

courtney5555

Hi. I recently acquired a 1919 Maibohm. I was finally able to get pictures. The motor is outside of car but seems like it’s all there... 
I’ve read about this car from your guys’ links. It seems to be pretty rare. Is there a market for this sort of car? I would like to get rid of it.
Thank you 

7773AB74-C02B-460A-99B5-DCB54A353801.jpeg

2CEDB7B4-46A3-4CE7-A7BE-31501E097344.jpeg

737C5553-C186-4EE4-B1E6-FE9EEB4062F8.jpeg

90C6C142-9C4D-4754-A30A-42AA55195F2E.jpeg

Edited by courtney5555
Picture (see edit history)

Best source for a mass of details of practically any obscure early American automobile is probably the January   (Show) addition Of MoToR for the year.  Copies of these would be hopefully conserved and in some way accessible in such as Detroit Public Library Automotive collection, Smithsonian, AACA and HCCA and you name it.  The only one I have is for January 1921, and it is in very fragile state; so I handle it as little as possible.  It was given to me , together wit some quantity of similar age motoring material, by the man who sold me the Roamer Duesenberg in the early 1960s.   Please try to access copy from your local sources.  The volume is so big that it is very difficult for me to transcribe what you would want from the many large pages of data.

• courtney5555 changed the title to Maibohm? Any info? Edited with picture

Great looking project, looking like an early restoration of a very nice original. The seats look like they are original which is good if so, but without closer inspection the paint looks newer. It’s definitely looking good enough to get running properly and enjoying it in its present condition as opposed to a full blown and costly restoration.

As far as whether there’s a market, yes definitely, but it is going to be hard to value a car like that as there’s few marketed to base a valuation on. Most “project cars” are definitely lagging in sales and value so condition is a major part of the market as is completeness. Knowing why the engine was out would be a plus as it could mean a costly repair...

Rarity, or obscurity in this case both helps and hurts... there’s several people who want to have the only one around but at the same time finding  parts become a hassle if not impossible. My guess is there would be someone from where the car was produced who may be very interested in it as a piece of local history. If I had the room and money, I would love it too but that ship has long sailed...

I wish you all the best with it, hopefully you can find a buyer if you’re not interested in restoring it for yourself!

• Like 1

It would be helpful to know where it's located and what you are thinking price-wise. Do you know anything about its history, previous owner,  any work/restoration done, etc. If the engine is out and if disassembled there could be pieces missing.  As much info as possible will be helpful for anyone possibly interested. Neat car. Wish I had a bigger garage.

Terry

This will give you some information. The first is from G.N.Georgano’s book “The Complete Encyclopedia of Motorcars” and the second clip is from the “Standard Catalogue of American Cars 1805-1942" by Beverly Kimes and Henry Clark.

A good thing is that it was an assembled car, which means the power train may be more common than the make is. That might help when looking for parts to get it running again.

I agree with Terry that is a neat car! 

D4F54E9C-744D-48C6-A007-D2053CF8AEE2.jpeg

9DE96770-1F96-4C1D-8BC7-E89EDC1DEC6F.jpeg

Edited by TheMoneyPit (see edit history)

Sir,

I would suggest airing up the tires and rolling it out in the sun, give it a good washing and take some good pictures. Post those pictures on this and any other number of websites and the car will sell. The question is what price point. If you are desperate to sell, price it accordingly. Pictures and condition sells cars, even project cars. Is the motor still together but just out of the car? Transportation is a major consideration, so you are likely looking at a local market. Where in California? If you are desperate to sale, your price must reflect that. It is a rare car, but that can work against you as much as for you. The good news is the overall condition of the car appears excellent for what it is. I would suggest a price of 4-5 thousand and make it negotiable, drop it as necessary.

The general thinking of many antique car aficionados in the past was that every car needed restoration, regardless of condition. It could be the motor was pulled for freshening up and very well could be a low mileage motor. How many miles are on the odometer?

My two cents.

Edited by AHa (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I have very few listings for Maibohm, per low production; the few I have show Falls motors used---not good, but could be much worse as several makes on my Falls list (admittedly  far from complete) have clubs---Apperson, Dort, Elgin, Gardner,  Saxon, Velie---

They could be sources of info re' parts, availability,  etc for your motor, which you should  assume was taken  out for some  problem, looked at,w hereupon someone decided not worth (then) repairing...