Is this repairable?

29hupp

A repair is worth a try. I would drill , thread and spotface for a socket head cap screw { Allen bolt }. Use as high a grade of  fastener as possible to make up for the fact it will be a bit smaller diameter than optimum. It's only a shock link so even if it fails there isn't a significant safety risk. Just inspect it reasonably regularly as you would with any bolted suspension connection. If you can easily and cost effectively find a replacement then that route might be best, but if it is a fairly rare part I don't see why a repair wouldn't work as well.

Greg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, 1912Staver said:

A repair is worth a try. I would drill , thread and spotface for a socket head cap screw { Allen bolt }. Use as high a grade of  fastener as possible to make up for the fact it will be a bit smaller diameter than optimum. It's only a shock link so even if it fails there isn't a significant safety risk. Just inspect it reasonably regularly as you would with any bolted suspension connection. If you can easily and cost effectively find a replacement then that route might be best, but if it is a fairly rare part I don't see why a repair wouldn't work as well.

Greg

+ 1

Stellar advice.

Edited by TTR (see edit history)

That shock lever arm should be a quality forging and those usually weld up pretty good and strong.

Any good(GOOD) welder could do it.

This is the kinda thing that often some idiot (excuse me, I ment to say fool) tried brazing on..

This kind damage ususually is caused by a shock being frozen or from the lever being forced beyond the shocks working limits from a accident or some other rough treatment .

• Like 3

My first reaction is to say, NO, Never.

But, in the real world; there are some amazing welds being done today. 

Today, that could be repaired and restored to a perfect original finish. Probably even stress tested. And amazingly, stronger than original.

BUT: don't try this at the home garage.

intimeold  

Give a call to Apple Hydraulics in Calverton, NY.  They have a bunch of old Houdaille shocks, may have an arm that matches yours.  They can probably re-weld your arm if they don't have a mate.  Tel:  631-369-9515.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Gary_Ash said:

Give a call to Apple Hydraulics in Calverton, NY.  They have a bunch of old Houdaille shocks, may have an arm that matches yours.  They can probably re-weld your arm if they don't have a mate.  Tel:  631-369-9515.

Thanks Gary I will call them tomorrow.   FYI I can not flip it because it is tapered.