1952 Plymouth transmission and rear end fluids?

David-52 Plymouth

Someone here, or else go down and repost this with the WPC gang, will give you advice on lubricants.  However I would never top up fluid unless I was 100% certain what was in the trans/OD/diff.  I would take the vehicle to the nearest shop and drain and refill all three units.

https://forums.aaca.org/forum/40-chrysler-products-general/

https://forums.aaca.org/forum/49-plymouth/

Thank you Tinindian and C49r (Bob) for your advice).

With the 52 Plymouth Cranbrook I got many extra parts.  There are 4 brake linings with long rods treaded on the end attached to the linings. Does the 52 use

the rear brake shoes as the emergency brake shoes or could these linings with rods attached be part of the braking system on the 52?  Thank you in advance for any insight on these linings. I could take a picture but I'm not sure how to attach it. David

Note on the Overdrive there are two fill plugs...one on the pass front case and the rear half of the case.

Top off both.

The Front fill plug removed lets you fill the 3 speed section ...the rear plug hole fills the overdrive section.

Check both!

Thank you c49er for the info on the 2 plugs on the transmission.  Thank you The 55er for the hand brake info. So are there small brake shoes that surround the 

output shaft or the driveshaft.  If I need new hand brake linings what would I ask for or do you know where I could get them. I just changed the master cylinder and I thought the brake light switch would be screwed into it. Can someone tell me where the brake light switch is on a 1952 Plymouth?

Shown is the 1952 Plymouth external brake band...used on all 1946-54 Plymouth 3 speed transmissions including the R10 OD .

The brake stop light switch is located on the inside edge of the frame up behind the drivers side rear tire.

Look under the car behind the drivers side tire on the inside wall of the frame. The switch is mounted on a small frame bracket.

s-l400.jpg

• Like 1