Florida Packard Meet In Feb ?

Some weeks ago, someone mentioned in here, that there was going to be a big meet involving Packards, in Florida, the weekend of Feb. 15. I live in northern Arizona, but will be coming to Florida for our annual "re-currency training" (for operators of Lake aircraft - "water birds"...i.e. amphibians).

Those of you who live within reasonable travelling distance of Bartow Airport in central Florida, ( 80 mi. south of Orlando ) might want to come and see (probably over a hundred of them) the "show" of Lake amphbious aircraft - Sat and Sun Feb 8 and 9th.

If anyone knows about this Packard event in Florida, could you "post" it in here..?

Thanks

Pete Hartmann

The Florida Pacard Club (PAC) will hold its winter meet on February 15, 2003 from 9:00 A.M. to 3:00 P.M. This meet is limited to the first four hundred Packards to arrive that Saturday morning (gee, it sounds like a 1933 Cadillac V16 advertisement). There is no entry fee. Directions: I-75 to exit 250 Gibsonton-Riverview, thence east five miles to Llamas and Learning Montessori School at 13227 Boyette Road. For further information contact: Tom Kaiser 941-371-0070 or Tim and Juliette Johnson 813-244-7713. Special instructions for Peter: take I-4 west to I-75 south to exit 250. See you there.

Get your car running Tim, you need any more impetus than this?

Would I be welcome with my Packard powered Hot Rod?

I'll come regardless, sounds like fun.

I just need some extra hands thats all. Same deal with my hot rod. I think Walt will be helping me with the T body. I think Knyfe will be helping me with the brakes and gas tank drop. I am just crossing my fingers that the tranny will work. Why don't you come over this way sometime. We are living in a house now and have plenty of room to work.

Tim

MBL

P.S. Maybe we can set up a show at the Liars Club. Delusionaires/MBL?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Jack,

Snow, thats the reason that I can't come down there and there is more coming. Being a B.P.W. Commissioner I have to make sure the Roads are Plowed in Fairhaven. As I said things are Piling Up here. You Florida guys Know how to rub it in. I will miss being able to see and meet the Florida Packard Guys, especially You, Tim (MBL) and Ed Miller and his Famed 33. Of course some one said that John (Packard53) was going to be there and that Peter Hartmann was going as well. I also understand that there was going to have enough Strawberry Shortcake for all. So I may have white snow while you guy's will have Whipped Cream. Good luck and Thanks.

Bob

I'm relieved to hear that you guys can't make the Packard meet this weekend in Florida. The Florida Packard Club had to put a limit on the number of Packards allowed at the meet to 400 because there just isn't enough room for more cars on the field especially with an anticipated crowd of 2,000 people. But if you decide to come I'l make certain we find room for you.

ED MILLER

Since this meet is so restricted, only first 400 admitted, Why not next year holding it at Raymond James Stadium? The Glaziers are so community commited, Im sure they would be honored for the request. We could use the parking lot for FUN & GAMES. Blind mans race, musical chairs, teeter board, Water bottles on running boards, etc. like we did at Hershey, before they went Comercial.

With so many people, 2000 or so hope I dont miss you, as I have a message for you from a friend. Jack

All right, maybe there won't be quite as many as 400 Packards at the show this Saturday. But a guy can dream, can't he? Expect between 35 and 40 Packards will be in attendance. I hope to see some of you there. As to driving, I haven't driven my Packard for about a week. Rather I have been driving my Brand "X" car, a 1932 Cadillac All Weather Phaeton. I only drive it to remind me just how much better my 1933 Packard is.

I just returned from the Florida Packard Club Meet. I was relieved to see that only myself and Jack Harlin from this chat room attended. Jack had a terrible time trying to get admitted. He brought the 401st Packard to the meet. As you are all well aware, only the first 400 Packards were to be admitted. He wasn't allowed in until I pulled some strings. This year there was only one row of Packard Darrins immediately behind three rows of Twelves and Twin Sixs.

All right, I'll take the syringe out of my arm. I didn't count the number of cars but I would estimate about 20 including a 1937 Twelve Coupe, my 1933 Twelve Convertible Sedan, John Beebe's 1940 Packard 120 Darrin and a 1953 Packard Carribbean. The oldest was a 1931 833 Coupe. Some of the fellows took their Packards on a 20 mile ride along the back roads of Florida. I trust everyone had a good time with their Packard...just ask the man who owns one.

Ed,

I am glad the Meet went over well even though the others from this Board and myself were not there for the Free Soda and Hot Dogs. I couldn't get in because someone at the IN Gate told me they didn't want Riff Raff there. However, leaving Jack to wander the roads in the Florida countryside and having to Fight Off Huge Gators with his trusty Packard Tire Iron was not Cricket. You guys could have at least stopped and gave him a hand. You could even have held some of them at bay with your '33.

All in all though, I missed a good show even though no one would let me in. I had to finally find Jack out on a Back Road by cab so he could give me a ride to the Hotel.

Just Fooling Ed, congratulations on a Good Meet.

Bob

...and now to the next meet at Mount Dora, Florida. It's a VMCCA meet without judging. Only pre WWII cars allowed. It's a five day event with lots of touring and tall tales. If anyone is interested, let me know and I'll give more details. I'll be bringing my brand "X" car (1932 Cadillac) as I have brought my Packard to Mount Dora several times previousy.

Ed:

I have heard and understand all of the reasons for having the show at Tom's place and the other show at the location further south, however with all of the expertise that you folks have could you please try and come up with a Packard meet of some sort that is further north. Making Tampa and or Vero Beach is not the problem, making it home to West Central Ga. or East Central Ala. by Sunday evening to go to work Monday morning is the problem. Possibly holding an event on Saturday. Surely there are Packard owners in the Talahassee, Jacksonville, or Lake City area that could get together and find a place to meet. From there you could get a lot of folks from Central Ga. Ala. and it would not be that far from the lower part of Florida.

Just a thought

Re: A north Florida Packard Club Meet...There is only one hurdle...who's going to put it together? We need someone who lives in the area willing to find a location and provide for the victuals (fancy word for food). You can have a local restaurant do the food but who can put it together? The publicity and funding the Club can help with but it takes someone who is willing to put in the time. Till we find that special someone there will be no north Florida meets.

Ed:

A quick look thru the Pac Membership directory reveals about 10 people in the Talahassee, Valdosta, Jacksonville

area. Maybe contacting them might bring some one forth. Almost as, and maybe more important as a place, would be a time. what would be your suggestion???

September is still part of the rainy season. By mid-October it should be dry and not too humid in the Panhandle. Are you volunteering your services???!!! If you are, call me: home 239-597-8965; office 239-775-2000. Tell the secretary it concerns "old cars" and you'll get right through to me (do I know my priorities or what?). As an alternative, my e-mail address is Edpackard33@aol.com

Ed:

I have a niece in T'hasse whose husband shares a love of cars. It only extends to the 1:18 scale variety, but we discuss the full size ones at length. He has agreed to help me get some phones numbers of places where this event might be held. I will go so far as to make some inquiries and see what can be done, beyond that I can make no more commitment at this time. Once I can find out if there is a place that is reasonable to hold a even then, maybe we can talk further.

Ed: Here is what I have gotten so far. There is a county park in T'hassee called VOSS park. They have pavillions for shelter that range in size from 20 people to 200. The cost to reserve one for 50 people(which I think may be reasonable to expect) is $42.80. There is a Sonnys BBQ joint within 4 miles of this park that will cater. They have an open date of Oct. 18th. Also the whole month of September is open. The first 2 weekends of Oct. are booked. A cancellation within 1 week will result in a refund of the reservation fee. So at this point I think the ball is now in the hands of the Florida, Georgia, Alabama Packard owners. For my part I will commit to the date and time to attend. I will also handle the liason of contacting the park and setting up the reservation and contacting the BBQ joint, unless you think that for the first time out we should all bring our own groceries. I can also handle posting a notice in Hemmings and the PAC news bullitin. Basically all this involves to date is mail and phone calls. All I would ask is that if this comes to pass that someone in the Florida area take it over from there. Surely if can do this all from my home and office 5 hours away, then someone with a Packard who is local can take over from there. You mentioned funding, can I assume that the reservation fee would be included in that. Lastly using the Pac membership directory, an address list could be gleaned to send flyers to those individuals in the J'ville, T'hassee, Valdosta Ga. area specifically, so there would be postage involved. Flyers are not a problem, I can put something together with cut and paste and xerox machine. Let me know what you think.

Alk: You have done a wonderful job finding a place and a caterer BUT (there are too many "buts" in life), you still need to find someone to pull it off. Finding a worker can be as difficult as finding lips on a chicken. Flyers are unnecessary. The Florida Packard Club currently has just topped 300 members. It's the largest PAC Club. It can advertise the meet in its newsletter, National PAC magazine and Hemmings Motor News. The crucial element missing is someone who is going to do the work. If you would like I can send you a membership list and you can solicit a volunteer. It only takes one member to do the work. If you aren't a member of The Florida Packard Club and want to join let me know and I'll send an application along with the membership list. This is a very expensive club to join...$5!

the membership fee is not the problem. the problem is that i don't like to join a group that in all liklyhood I would never be able to participate with. As for an individual to do the work, what work would need to be done????