Engine number from Buick Straight 8

gregleck

Have a Buick straight 8 engine block and am trying to determine year and displacement.

Number is stamped on the right side of the distributor:

initial numeral looks like "b" and fifth numeral looks like "I".

Can anyone confirm this is a 1951 model 263 engine?

Will it mate with a 1937 Buick Special transmission, or will an adapter plate be needed?

engine number 1951.jpg

It looks like that could be a 1951 50 Series Engine. You need to confirm a few other facts about the engine to be sure since the number alone could also be a 1937 60 Series engine. If the engine number is in front of the distributor, that should mean that you are correct that it is a 1951 50 Series Engine.

Here is a site where you can identify Buick Straight 8 engines: https://www.buicks.net/shop/reference/engine_ident_52.php

4 minutes ago, 50ChevyFrank said:

I guess I’m too dense to read that chart on buicks.net.  I can’t see where the number 63271355 falls.   Please explain.  Thanks. 

Its after 1951 50(std) 6240564-5 and before 1952 50(std)6647024-5. The last digit is the series (40 -50 - 60 -70 )

Or it could be a dynaflow engine, which have different crankshaft

Does it have front side engine mount pad (4 studs)?

Or a 1937 where the first digit is the series (40 -60 -90).

• Thanks 1

Frank,

Buick Straight 8 engine numbers have a pattern and that pattern changed in the 40's (I think). On the early engines the first number was hand stamped and represented the model of the car. A 4 for Special, a 6 for Century, a 8 for Roadmaster and a 9 for Limited. In the case of your number, if early it is a 320 out of a Century and the engine number is 3271355.  On late engines it was the LAST number that was hand stamped representing the car model. The later cars are not my specialty so I will not try to quote numbers for models... Anyway, if your engine is later it is out of a 50 series car and the engine number is 6327135.  Hope this helps!

39_Buick beat me to it 😀.

Edited by 37_Roadmaster_C (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think we are beating a dead horse here but to summarize, if that number is to the right of the distributor (closer to the front of the car) it is a 1951 50 series engine. If that number was above the starter (near the back of the engine) it would be a 1937 60 series car. 

More information would be needed to determine if the engine is compatible with a standard transmission or a dynaflow transmission.  

Hello Matt!  I'm the original poster.  I think I bought a stainless steel center hood molding from you for my '37 Buick Sports Coupe  a few years ago. 

I believe the transmission connection for standard transmission changed sometime after 1938, and of course if the engine was originally mated to a Dynaflow then you would need an adaptive plate to make the swap.

I want to put a Buick straight 8 into a very high quality replica of an Auburn speedster which is currently running a GM 305 crate V8 engine and what I think is a GM 700R4 automatic transmission (haven't crawled under the car to look for the transmission numbers yet)  It will need an adapter plate but my first concern is that the engine fit into the space.

The 320 from the Century, Roadmaster, and Limited series is too big.  In any event I want a 263, not a 248, to avoid the babbit bearings.

Dunkles Garage cropped.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, gregleck said:

Hello Matt!  I'm the original poster.  I think I bought a stainless steel center hood molding from you for my '37 Buick Sports Coupe  a few years ago. 

Sounds interesting. It looks like you have a 263 based on what you have posted. I don't think I have ever sold a stainless steel center hood molding, but am fairly sure that would have been Brian DePouli. He is also in NC. 

6 hours ago, gregleck said:

I believe the transmission connection for standard transmission changed sometime after 1938, and of course if the engine was originally mated to a Dynaflow then you would need an adaptive plate to make the swap.

I want to put a Buick straight 8 into a very high quality replica of an Auburn speedster which is currently running a GM 305 crate V8 engine and what I think is a GM 700R4 automatic transmission (haven't crawled under the car to look for the transmission numbers yet)  It will need an adapter plate but my first concern is that the engine fit into the space.

The 320 from the Century, Roadmaster, and Limited series is too big.  In any event I want a 263, not a 248, to avoid the babbit bearings.

Dunkles Garage cropped.jpg

1949 and 1950 248 have insert rod bearings.

Ben

• 7 months later...
4 hours ago, harbitz said:

Hi.

Can anyone help me decipher the numbers on this engine block please? I need a new block for my 1937 Buick Series 40 Special. The last picture is from an identical car belonging to a friend, and it has the same number. Can I assume this block is what I want? Thanks.

I don't know of a cross reference for block casting numbers, but I would guess that if it has the same block casting number as your friend's identical car it should be correct. To confirm, if you can post the serial number from the block, there are resources to identify the block by the engine serial number. 

This engine looks to be either a `36 233 or a `37 248 both had flat top aluminum pistons. Engine number is located on the passenger side, if its the `36 engine, number is located at the front of the side lifter cover, if a `37 engine engine number is located above the oil dip stick. IMG_6623.JPG.2befb1e0d3af30a6565750a7731a19ea.JPG