I wonder how it ran on only five cylinders....

An old neighbor of mine threw a rod in his '50 Chevy years ago. He dropped the pan and removed the rod and piston and drove home. He installed a piece of cedar post in the cylinder and drove it for a couple more years.

The fellow that did light mechanic work at the gas station I hung out in while I was in high school had a 57-58 Buick that had a problem, don't remember what, but one cylinder was bad this was around 1965. He didn't have the cash to fix it right, so he pulled out the piston and rod, cut off the end of the rod and bolted it back on the crank to keep the oil pressure up and drove it as V7 part of the year till he found a replacement engine he could afford. When he swapped in the replacement My best friend and I hauled the old engine to his house, a few blocks away, in the back of my friends 1947 Crosley pickup. That put it down on the axle.

Around 10 years later I had a similar problem with a VW bug, I pulled the intake push rods on the proper two cylinders to keep it a somewhat balanced 2 cylinder and drove it on back roads, as my go to work car for a few months till I could find a cheap replacement. It could still cruise along at 35-45 MPH just took awhile to get up to speed.