HEY ROGER DODGER

IM PUZZLED AS TO WHY IT IS ILLEGAL TO REGISTER A CAR IN ANOTHER STATE THAT DOESNT REQUIRE A TITLE?FOR ME IT ELIMINATED TIME AND PAPERWORK.I CERTAINLY DONT WANT TO DO ANYTHING ILLEGAL.MABE YOU CAN HELP ME WITH THIS ISSUE.THANKS A BUNCH.I LIVE IN N.Y..I GAVE THE TITLE CO.THE CORRECT ID#S.THANKS!

SSG ROCK

Guest imported_RAH

SSG Rock,

Curious? What State does NOT require a title to license a car? I am not a lawyer, but like I said please check with the department of licensing in your state. Each state has different rules and I have seen MUCH discussion on this subject. Some states are cracking down. I believe the most common method is the 'Lost Title' where they would do a search of the records of the state where the car was last registered. Remember you are dealing with beaurocracy!! Good Luck!

Rodger "Dodger"

There are several states that do not require a title for cars over a certain age, like 25 years or even 15 years. Alabama is one. Vermont may be another. These title services in these states allow you to sell your car to them, they register the car in their state where a title is not required, then sell the registered car back to you along with a note to your state agency advising that no title was required. Your state then must, by the US Constitution Bill of Rights providing reciprocity of free trade among states, issue a title to you. Rodger is correct in that some states are resisting this, but they have no leg to stand on if you assert your rights (via a lawyer, most likely). It is literally impossible for your state to prohibit you from purchasing a car in another state, such as Alabama. Think of it this way--suppose you vacationed in Alabama, found a nice car, bought it and brought it back home. Could your state prohibit this? I think not! There are several such title services available in many different states, so contact them all.