1922 Buick Tourer cruising speed

David Marshall

Hi all again,  I’ve been out and about in the buick and it seems to cruise at 56km per hour ( a shade over 30mph ). 
Is this about the correct cruising speed. I’m thinking the timing may be a little out. 
She also ran very hot on one occasion and was told it may be running too lean but that’s another story. 
She is testing me alright  😢

Thanks in advance, David 

David

Looking at your older posts, it would appear you have a Model 35 4 cylinder 

Does anyone know the 4 axle ratio?  I’m not familiar with the 4s. 

In addition to advanced timing, balloon tires the next time you need them will give you 10% more speed and better stopping contact patch.  I was going to say for free but the tires sure aren’t. 

Edited by Brian_Heil (see edit history)
  • Like 1

David, 

My 1925 Buick Standard is recently rebuilt.  I have the same rear axle, but I do have a different rim size than you and balloon tires.  They are 6" cross section instead of your 3 1/2".  I chose 2,000 rpm, because that is a good engine speed.  I can do 50 mph in my car.   45 mph is a little more relaxed, and I try to keep this as my upper limit.  It is very comfortable doing 35 to 40 mph.  Drop 3 mph for your car vs mine.    My car would be 1.5 MPH faster than yours back in the day, but I benefited from using the larger balloon tire as that is the only one available anymore.  Larry DiBarry's 1925-45 would be 4.5 MPH faster at top speed than my car if I had the original tires.    Hugh 

Buick Tire Size and speed.

Comparison of 1922 Buick 4 and 1925 Buick Standard 6 (Same rear axle)

1922 Buick rims are 23”, tires are 3 ½” cross section.

1925 rims are 22”, Balloon tires are 6” cross section.  (somehow it is “32 x 6” and not 34 x 6)

1922 Buick tires are 30 x 3.5”      30” OD = 94” circumference

2,000 rpm / 4.9 rear axle ratio = 408 rpm rear wheels (both cars)

94” x 408 = 38,352 inch /min = 3,196 feet/min x 60 = 191,760 ft/hr (divide by 5280 ft/mile) = 36.3 mph

1925 Buick with Balloon tires are 32” OD.     32” OD = 100.5” circumference

100.5 x 408 = 40,996 inch/ min = 3,416 ft/min x 60 = 204,979 ft/hr (divide by 5280 ft/mile) = 38.8 mph

For the 1925 Master, with the 4.54 rear axle

2,000 rpm / 4.54 rear axle ratio = 440.5 rpm rear wheels

100.5” x 440.5 = 44,270 inch /min = 3,689 feet/min x 60 = 221,351 ft/hr (divide by 5280 ft/mile) = 41.9 mph

1925 Buick Standard original tire “31 x 5”, but only the 32 x 6 is available. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, David Marshall said:

Thank you for the info on the timing !  I had a feeling that it may affect the operating temperature. 

Can some one with a similar car know the approximate cruising speed.  I don’t want to push it. 

Thanks again Dave

I'm no expert but I have my 2 cents. These cars have no seatbelts, no air bags, no crumple zones, my car doesn't even have a bumper. No test dummies were used for crash testing, real people were. Deaths per mile driven were off the charts in those days. I would never go over 30 in one of these flivvers. Besides dying, even worse, you would ruin the car!

Deaths per billion vehicle miles traveled is the red line on this chart. THIS MEANS YOU ( I hope not). 

DMV.png

Edited by Morgan Wright (see edit history)
  • Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe the uptick was due to the introduction of the free wheeling transmission (32 on chevies)  they got rid of it in 33.  I doubt prohibition actually refrained anyone from drinking...Per the cruise speed 40 was nice on my 22 buick roadster...35 was comfortable on my 4 cylinder buicks

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

I have a 2525 standard 6 and find that it cruises comfortably at 45 mph, as mentioned above it will do 50mph no worries but things sound a bit busy under the bonnet.

The challenge we have here in New Zealand is that all the modern traffic gets a bit grumpy following at 45mph and I find myself nudging her up to 47 a lot until I can turn off onto a quiet back road. Ive been pondering on ways to get taller gearing to ease the cruise rpm a bit just for those bits of Hi-way that are impossible to avoid.

From reading some of the other posts here it seems the interchangeability of crown wheels and pinions is complicated a 4.7:1 or even 4.5:1 would be great.

I'm not sure if anyone has any ideas on possible gear combinations or experience running the standard 6 at 50mph / 2500rpm for extended periods?

The club I'm in likes to use their old cars rather than polish them and the Buick is a wonderful drive at 45mph in most situations but just another 5mph from time to time would save a lot of stress holding up traffic!

Regards

Steve

Hi Steve, 

Welcome and please post some pictures as there are very few 1925-25 cars and we are always looking to share information.  My 1925-25 sounds exactly as you describe.   I also have the advantage of using the larger 6.00-22 tires that came on the Master as those are the only ones available.  They are good for a few extra MPH.   

In the sales catalog for the 1925-21 (Standard)  it states " This wonderful car, built on a wheelbase of 114 3/8 inches, weighing 3,000 pounds, and with a Buick Valve in head engine that easily affords a speed of sixth miles an hour, is one of the outstanding values of the season. " 

Further for the 1925-44 (Master)  " The seventy horsepower Buick Valve-in head engine, with which all Master Six models are equipped. permits a speed of sixty to seventy miles an hour....."

Here is how two important specifications compare:

Gear Ratio          tires

Standard          4.9 to 1             31 x 5

Master              4.54 to 1           32 x 5 3/4

So much for the sales hype.  Maybe it is our trained ears, but my car does not sound "comfortable" above 50 MPH.  Maybe it was "normal" to really have the motor singing, or maybe they sold more cars that way back in the 20's.  

I don't think even moving to a Master with 4.5 to 1 will be enough to instill that extra level of confidence for motoring at 60.  

Hugh

IMG_0620.JPG.a201dfedc3cadb974e0804edd9b8b58a.JPGIMG_0621.JPG.ad10134ad4020c7054343ac07daeff2e.JPG

• Like 1

Although the advertising literature says the car will go 65 or 70  mph that does not mean you should drive it that fast.  The car is almost 100 years old.  It is long past it's "best if used by date."  It has mechanical brakes. and wood spoke wheels.  Remember you have to get it to stop and sometimes that may be in an emergency situation.   

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, michealbernal said:

Although the advertising literature says the car will go 65 or 70  mph that does not mean you should drive it that fast.  The car is almost 100 years old.  It is long past it's "best if used by date."  It has mechanical brakes. and wood spoke wheels.  Remember you have to get it to stop and sometimes that may be in an emergency situation.   

Thats true, we have a saying that you have to plan your emergency stops well in advance ! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Steve

Thanks for the photo,s of your car.  Looks a very original 25-25.  Do you have any history of the car.  Wondering if it is a McLaughlan/Buick as it has the wooden dash.  Many cars came  into Aust from Canada to reduce customs costs as Canada was a commonwealth country. Don,t know if this was the same in NZ.  Also understand Aust bodied cars also went your way.  Can you start a new Thread/Topic on your car

Hi Rod,

yes I know its entire history from day 1, My Wife's Grandmother bought it brand new !!!

Ill set up another post with the details and more pics when I Get a moment.

oh and yes its Canadian built. not sure if it came through Aussie on the way.

cheers Steve

Edited by KiwiBuickNut
update details (see edit history)
  • Like 3