2021-2021 Challenge

JohnD1956

Everyone is invited to the 2021 - 2,021 Mile Challenge.  This challenge is all about using your collector car in the year 2021.  Basically:  choose your vehicle: announce your choice and your mileage goal, and then see if you can accomplish adding that many miles to the car(s) in 2021.

In the spirit of Buick fellowship everyone is invited to join at any point along the way.  There are no rules.  You can use one car or more than one car if you like.  You can go the 2,021 miles or more, or less, if you like.  You choose. You keep track.  And occasionally, along the way,  post up how you're doing.  Pictures are optional but we all like pictures, so post interesting places you've gone,  and odometer accumulations,  or what ever helps you make your goal. 

Again, this year, I am going to add all three of my cars together with one goal of 4000 miles this year. If I can make one or the other National Meets then I may adjust my goal. 

If you join the challenge, I wish you good luck with your goals and look forward to your posts along the way.  

• Like 3

If Covid does not interrupt things, my plan for year 2021 is to drive my '91 Reatta from MA to the BCA meet in NC, then to the BCA meet in OH, then back home to MA.  The trip is about 2080.  Adding in local car shows and cruise-ins at about my usual 500 +/- annual miles, I expect to surpass the 2021 mile challenge....we'll see. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
29 minutes ago, gungeey said:

Had an errand to run: Farmers wife was waiting for me, apparently she likes Buicks, LOL

farm4.jpg

farm1.jpg

That looks like a great farm market.  How long will that non pasteurized milk last?

On 2/4/2021 at 7:24 PM, JohnD1956 said:

You're the lucky guy!  And I assume you are talking about more milk on the 14th. 😇

Did you hear the one about the farmers wife who won the lottery? She decided to spend the money on a milk bath.When she got in the tub the milk man asked if she wanted it pasturized,she said no just up past my tits.

• Haha 1

Going to try again since 2020 was a bust. Hope to get to South Bend and Auburn, IN sometime this year with a possible stop in Warren, OH for my auto museum tour. That trip combined with my normal driving should put me over the 2021 target. Shown odometer reading as of 01/01/21.

861EE821-5E7B-405C-ADD8-849458116495.jpeg

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

John - my Roadmaster is ready for the road too. Speaking of speedos - I tested my Bob’s rebuild the other day against a GPS speedo. Oddly enough, it reads a full 5 mph LOW. I forgot to test the Speedminder which is set at 65 and the country road I was on is strictly 55. I’m running with correct bias ply tires. 

2 hours ago, highcking said:

John - my Roadmaster is ready for the road too. Speaking of speedos - I tested my Bob’s rebuild the other day against a GPS speedo. Oddly enough, it reads a full 5 mph LOW. I forgot to test the Speedminder which is set at 65 and the country road I was on is strictly 55. I’m running with correct bias ply tires. 

Looking forward to your posts about your road adventures.  My speedometer is off too, but there is a sliding scale to the error, in that at 0 MPH it is right, and after that the error increases as the speed increases.  It's almost right up to 25 mph, but then it becomes very noticeable. At 60 MPH I am doing close to 50 MPH.  And my odometer is 10% fast, At 60 MPH I will pass 11 roadside markers for tenths of a mile.  But I know why mine is off. 

Back in 1975 when I got my car I did not pay attention to the facts.  I wound up putting my Roadmaster's rear axle in this car but not changing the speedometer drive in the transmission.  It just never occurred to me to do that for the 20 years I moved the original transmission around with me.  I hardly used the car in those years and the error was not really noticeable on the roads where I lived.  On my last move in 1997 I stupidly threw the original transmission away, with the speedometer drive still in it.  I still kick myself for doing that!

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/27/2021 at 6:46 PM, JohnD1956 said:

My speedometer is off too, but there is a sliding scale to the error, in that at 0 MPH it is right, and after that the error increases as the speed increases. 

I think that is a commonality we all share... exactly accurate at 0 MPH LOL!   

I've noticed my speedometer is off as well up to 60 MPH where it is dead accurate.  The odometer is accurate as well as I've checked that a few times as well.  The 67 has the center mounted needle so it sweeps across the rectangular and linear speedometer, so I blame a lazy needle... which I hear is common in older individuals 😁  Anyway, as 60 MPH is the center of the dial and the needle is perfectly vertical at this point, my explanation makes sense to me.   

By the way John, I'm about 200 miles in this year and climbing... the last several years have been disappointing, so we'll see how I do with this years goal.

Cheers,

5 hours ago, dmfconsult said:

The 67 has the center mounted needle so it sweeps across the rectangular and linear speedometer, so I blame a lazy needle... which I hear is common in older individuals 😁  Anyway, as 60 MPH is the center of the dial and the needle is perfectly vertical at this point,

Ohh,, this is just screaming for a raunchy comeback Doug...  But I will bypass the opportunity.  lol...  

That is a weird circumstance for your speedometer however.   My GS used to be good up to 70-75 or so, and then it would wobble and sometimes peg at 120 while I was maybe doing 80-85.  I think the trip to South Bend in 2013 cured it as it hasn't happened since.  Not really sure what was happening there 

20 minutes ago, JohnD1956 said:

Ohh,, this is just screaming for a raunchy comeback Doug...  But I will bypass the opportunity.  lol...  

I hear you John, and I did have to restrain myself from going there completely... I did recently cross over the 50 threshold so I felt it was more self deprecating 

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

20210610_115711.jpg

+ 192 more with the Super puts me at 825. Sure hope the price of gas comes back down a bit. What with all those electric cars you' d think they would be giving gas away...😇

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, JohnD1956 said:

Sure hope the price of gas comes back down a bit. What with all those electric cars you' d think they would be giving gas away...😇

I'd like to think so too as my nail head isn't a contender for a NASCAR Economy Run.

I'd bet the thinking is, we are going to be selling less volume due to electric vehicles so better to raise the price and still make the same bonuses with less product.

(delete this post if too political or whatever) 

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, dei said:

I'd like to think so too as my nail head isn't a contender for a NASCAR Economy Run.

I'd bet the thinking is, we are going to be selling less volume due to electric vehicles so better to raise the price and still make the same bonuses with less product.

(delete this post if too political or whatever) 

I'm not terribly worried about the energy companies. Some of the fossil fuels they don't sell as gasoline will go to the oil, natural gas, and coal-fired generating plants that produce the electricity needed to charge the electric cars that don't depend on fossil fuels.

And now back to our regularly scheduled program (programme for you, Dei): My upcoming trip down a portion of US Route 66 and the return through Auburn will go far toward hitting the 2021 miles goal. I leave on the 22nd.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Machine Gun said:

And now back to our regularly scheduled program (programme for you, Dei): My upcoming trip down a portion of US Route 66 and the return through Auburn will go far toward hitting the 2021 miles goal. I leave on the 22nd.

I will anxiously look forward to that Machine Gun.

Living vicariously through everyone's travels is a bit of a boost to my moral right now. Wishing you a safe and successful journey.

Edited by dei (see edit history)
  • Like 1