1925 Locomobile craigslist..F.S.

When I see pictures like that I always imagine how I would care for, in this instance, 550 one hundred dollar bills. "Our cherished heirloom."

I just spent an hour or so out in the garage. The last thing I did before pulling the door closed was hang up a polishing/dusting cloth that I had walked around a given everything a little buffing with.

Ring the doorbell.

"Excuse me, sir. Are you the custodian of the Locomobile?"

"Whadaya mean by that crack!"

• Haha 1

There was a 1914 Locomobile Limousine

parked next to my car at an AACA

national meet.  Its condition was excellent.

However, the front seat-back was bolt-upright

against the vertical limousine divider wall, and

the car looked very uncomfortable to drive.

Since Model 48's didn't change much over

the years, I wonder whether the 1925 would 

be the same way.

1914 Locomobile--Natl Spring Meet 2013-1.JPG

14 minutes ago, Graham Man said:

OK what am I missing 55K seems a little out of line, not sure I would bite at $2500... 50-100K for restoration...

$100k would be a down payment on a restoration for this car.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, zepher said:

$100k would be a down payment on a restoration for this car.

Nope......not nearly enough for a down payment. 

• Like 1

One important advantage which nobody seems to have noticed is the good-looking front brakes.     In 1980 when I visited Morris and Libby Burrows and accompanied them by invitation for the Glidden, he indicated that he would have liked to sell me his 1916 Locomobile on 120 mm Rudge Whitworth wire wheels.  As far as I could tell it was a low mileages original open car that did not need restoring;   and I suspect he may have had another, dismantled mostly in the basement.  I had no idea how I could have arranged shipping To Australia.   The  vertically displayed L-head Mercer crankshaft at the top of the stairs would have been useful for my 1918 Series 4.  Ralph Buckley told me that no-one had ever broken a Mercer crankshaft.   But I subsequently found out that some person of un-traceable ancestry, who had been responsible for some of the rebuilding of my engine,  had line-bored the main crankshaft bearings without the cylinder block bolted down.  So far I have lost 40 years use of that car.

7 hours ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

There was a 1914 Locomobile Limousine

parked next to my car at an AACA

national meet.  Its condition was excellent.

However, the front seat-back was bolt-upright

against the vertical limousine divider wall, and

the car looked very uncomfortable to drive.

Since Model 48's didn't change much over

the years, I wonder whether the 1925 would 

be the same way.

1914 Locomobile--Natl Spring Meet 2013-1.JPG

I believe that's the same car that won Best of Show at the Hemmings Concours in Lake George NY in 2017. 

1 hour ago, 58L-Y8 said:

So if it doesn't sell while being posted in the for sale forums, then we can just throw it in here?

Ok, forget restoration costs. The general consensus seems to be to clean up these cars and use them as is. You're buying a pig in a poke, but what price would you put on it for a driver?

A car that "was running when it was parked," in theory, should be able to get running again. I can see a transmission out of the car, but assuming the running gear has not been tampered with and it could be made to run without huge expense, what is it worth?