1924 model 45 shock absorbers

Can anyone offer some advice on the serviceability/repairability of these shock absorbers?   3 of 4 of mine have broken belts so are disconnected from the axle, so I'm assuming there is no spring load but I'm not really sure.  I'm a little afraid to take one apart as I'm not sure what to expect.  

I'm hoping they can be rebuilt.  Anyone have experience taking these things apart?

20210101_174156.jpg

20210101_174146.jpg

Ron, 

I would think that these are similar internally to Gabriel Snubbers, but I do not know the specifics.     No issues with opening them up.   Put the mounting bolt in a vise.  Find one with some strap sticking out.  Pull on the stap and see if you get tension.  If so, put some tension on it, and then take the metal cover off.  Normally these just need new webbing and new grease.   

I can tell you that these do make a significant improvement to the ride.

Below is a link that explains how to rebuild the Gabriel Snubbers.

https://forums.aaca.org/topic/353101-gabriel-snubbers-rebuilding-installation-mid-20s-buick/?tab=comments#comment-2128116

When you get it open, please post some pictures of the internal parts.

Hugh

IMG_0147.thumb.JPG.c3acf896d9f7f14d3dd8133749260b77.JPG1150327565_StarReboundController2.thumb.JPG.604dd74044e3db198c9e1afd073e278a.JPG1132610953_StarReboundController3.thumb.JPG.8784b43317afc1bccd8d5f2c38f0c3c8.JPG206885059_StarReboundController.thumb.JPG.f8fba71a510f24223bae7e7f421f1b4b.JPG

Edited by Hubert_25-25 (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Wow Hugh, you've really done your research!   I wasn't expecting to see documentation on the actual brand name parts that I have.  That's really interesting.

After finding snubbers in the book of parts, I had the feeling that mine are aftermarket replacements or maybe the factory car didn't come with them and they were added.  Do you think that might be the case?  Or do you think Star might have been factory equipment?

I'll try to take one apart and see what I find.  I was worried that there might be some big spring that blows up in my face when I open it.  But it looks pretty tame inside.  I'll post photos.

Thanks, Ron.

Ron,

All Buick frames in the mid 20's were drilled for Snubbers.  Gabriel Snubbers were factory for the front wheels only and on the more expensive models - models (47-8-9-50-50L-51-51A-54-54C-55).   

Then there is this from the 1925 Buick General Specs. which appears to discourage adding Snubbers.  I think they used this to justify not providing Snubbers on the less expensive cars.  It's tough to work a dampening system out of a spring, but Buick did indicate that you should not use grease between the spring leafs.

Hugh

2021020473_Snubbernote1925BuickGeneralSpecifications.thumb.JPG.33a262937ca25774fa0c6ca9a834b0d4.JPG

Edited by Hubert_25-25 (see edit history)
  • Like 3

Yes, it does look repairable.  I just need to find some new strapping.  My strapping is exactly the same width and thickness as yours.  So I followed the link you provided for Etsy but the product is sold out.  There isn't much to choose from on Etsy for 1-1/4" width.  There are a couple Cotton ones and I emailed them with questions and one replied and said that it is 2.4mm thick and it's a cotton canvas. It has an acrylic center and is wrapped in cotton.  I'm thinking that is not what I want, because the cotton is probably for looks not strength.  Is the strapping you used fully synthetic?

Mine is Cotton Synthetic.  Outer cotton for looks like the old style stuff and synthetic inside for strength.  1 -1/4" width is the hard size to find, but there are a couple sellers.  Jontay is another seller but they may only have Nylon.  If so, Olive Drab is the color to get.  There were some pieces on Ebay as well.