KFI

broker-len

This seems to be radio station   ---WKFI----in California----it is still in business---Listen to a show------BILL HANDLE ON THE LAW----have always been interested in the subject as a 35 year Real Estate Broker      Google him and either listen on STITCHER RADIO or pod cast from the station web sight-------you will find him entertaining and knowledgeable

KFI.jpg

• Like 1

Great picture of the old radio station.

KFI is not only one of the oldest stations in the country, it is also one of the few that is allowed to use a full 50,000 watt transmitter day and night with an omnidirectional antenna.

Most other 50k watt stations have directional and time of day restrictions.

And all broadcast stations west of the Mississippi have a K as their first letter while all stations east of the Mississippi have a W as their first letter.

And the host's name you mentioned is Bill Handel.  Like the composer.

https://kfiam640.iheart.com/featured/bill-handel/

Edited by zepher (see edit history)

I did not know that station was connected to Earl C Anthony! We lived in Humboldt county for almost four years.  Beautiful countryside with hundreds of miles of the best and most beautiful antique car roads anywhere!). A nice place to live if you don't mind dealing with a lot of people stoned on home-grown dope.

My apologies.

I am pretty sure that building was still there, and may still be the channel 3 tv station. There are/were actually two buildings styled alike and painted the same colors only a couple blocks apart. One was the home of channel 3, the other had been repurposed into a second hand store I used to wander into often. They had a lot of old tools and I even found antique automobile parts there that I wanted!

I always admired the old television station building, but have never been inside. My dad was a color television pioneer technician, and a cable television pioneer. I have always been interested in radio and television history.

Wonderful picture!

Thank you.

2 hours ago, JFranklin said:

One of the first, if not the first.

Not the first, maybe number 10 to 20th. They came on the air 4/16/22. KDKA in Pittsburg (yes, there are some K stations in the east from the very early days) was experimentally on the air in 1916, but licensed for public broadcast and started commercial broadcasting on November 2, 1920, carrying the election results.

Earle C  Anthony owned it until his death in 1961.

• Like 1

One of my earliest memories as a child growing up in Chula Vista, CA (a suburb of San Diego) was my parents listening to Polka Parade Saturdays on KFI.

Hosted by Dick Sinclair and sponsored by Farmer John -- the Easternmost in quality, the Westernmost in taste.

• Like 1

On 12/31/2020 at 4:04 PM, zepher said:

KFI is not only one of the oldest stations in the country, it is also one of the few that is allowed to use a full 50,000 watt transmitter day and night with an omnidirectional antenna.

And all broadcast stations west of the Mississippi have a K as their first letter while all stations east of the Mississippi have a W as their first letter.

That's why Wolfman Jack 

broadcast from two border rock stations, XERF in Ciudad Acuna and XERB in Rosarito Beach MEXICO, each with powerful 250,000-watt signals aimed directly north. “You could drive from New York to Los Angeles at night and never lose the stations--or the Wolfman.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Mentioned before but was deep in BCBDX back in the day of tube receivers. Then if you sent a SASE and the info any station you could receive would return a QSL card. Distant 250 and 500 watters were the hard ones (and almost everything was a long way from South Florida). Favorite back then was "the big APE" out of Jacksonville.

1 hour ago, Pfeil said:

That's why Wolfman Jack 

broadcast from two border rock stations, XERF in Ciudad Acuna and XERB in Rosarito Beach MEXICO, each with powerful 250,000-watt signals aimed directly north. “You could drive from New York to Los Angeles at night and never lose the stations--or the Wolfman.

That's why in this clip from American Graffiti The Wolfman says he's everywhere. The station was so powerful we would tow a race car from the beach area of south L.A. county up to Fremont Drag strip ( San Francisco bay area ) and the volume or the signal strength never changed!

American Graffiti (9/10) Movie CLIP - Wolfman Jack ... - YouTube

Edited by Pfeil (see edit history)

On 12/31/2020 at 4:04 PM, zepher said:

KMJ in Fresno went on the air in March 1922 and also uses a 50,000 watt transmitter.  Saturday mornings they have Auto Shop Talk call-in program.  I learn a lot about modern vehicles. 

• Like 1

On 1/2/2021 at 9:37 AM, broker-len said:

Who remembers GENE SHEPPARD out of WOR----- NY  CITY

I listened to Jean for several years. What a story teller! I was listening to him the night of the 1965 Northeast Blackout.

He also wrote for Playboy and wrote "Christmas Story". That  was based on his book "In God We Trust, All Others Pay Cash".

On 12/31/2020 at 6:25 PM, TerryB said:

If it’s a west coast station there is no “W” in the call letters.  East coast got the W assigned to their stations.

I always thought it was "W" in the east and "K" in the west? If so where is the dividing line?

On 1/2/2021 at 10:16 AM, TAKerry said:

I watched Uncle Floyd on cable access. Didnt know he had a radio show. Pretty strange stuff!!

I don't recall a radio show, I know I watched the TV Show, It was strange but it all depended what state of mind you were in (hey it was the 70's)

1 hour ago, John348 said:

I always thought it was "W" in the east and "K" in the west? If so where is the dividing line?

The Mississippi River. W is to the east and K is to the west.

It only applies to radio and TV broadcast stations, and not other types of radio. Any exceptions would most likely be very old licenses.

Edited by Bloo (see edit history)

For whatever it is worth, private/commercial licenses also used "K" and/or "W" in them. I still remember the commercial call sign for the radio dispatched television repair and service business my dad was a partner in in the mid to late 1950s. The two station wagons (my dad's was number 2) and about four or five service trucks would have to be identified by call sign and "mobile number". The shop was "base". "KMK-2-4-2, mobile two to base."  I heard that hundreds of times. For about a year after my dad and uncle sold the business, they still had the radios and consulted to the tv shop. I remember one time, about 1961, we were on a freeway a bit out of range area, and spotted a car pulling a trailer that had just caught fire (likely a thrown cigarette). My dad pulled our car up onto a high overpass, and radioed the shop to report the fire, the shop then relay called the fire department. The days before cell phones.

• Like 1

My aunchient CB license was a "W". Had a CB on my Suzuki GT750. 750 cc water cooled 2 stroke nicknamed "Water Buffalo" with massive drum brakes and levers on both sides. Replaced a magneto ignition 883 Harley Sportser as my long distance bike. Still have a Bell magnum (75 Snell) with speakers for each ear. Wound up smoking pretty bad and traded for a pair of Saginaws.