How to adjust divorced choke 1966 Chevy 396?

JonW

I've had two mechanics look at this car and the choke still does not work properly. It's a 1966 Chevy 396 with a Q-jet. I can pump the gas pedal once and the high idle cam raises up, but the idle needs to be set higher. The throttle plate closes, but not all the way. The car will start with considerable pumping and then I have to keep my foot on the gas for 5 minutes before it will idle. Sure would be nice if the choke worked properly! I've searched the web and You Tube, but don't find anything. Any one have any resources?

3 hours ago, JonW said:

I've searched the web and You Tube, but don't find anything. Any one have any resources?

Yeah. Spend the money and buy a real factory service manual for your car, which will tell you exactly how to adjust the choke and the fast idle. FYI, there is a separate fast idle speed screw located on the passenger side of the carb.

1966 CSM.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There is a little more to it than is explained in this video but it should get you started in the right direction. He doesn't cover the adjustment of the vacuum pull-off screw which is important for the proper opening of the choke plate after the engine starts.

You adjust the divorced choke by bending the rod that runs from the choke to the carb linkage. Of course, this assumes that the bimetallic spring that operates the coil hasn't lost tension over the last half a century. The arm on the carb linkage that the choke rod goes into has a series of notches. The CSM shows you how to bend the rod using those notches as a guide to adjust the choke. Of course, this assumes the rest of the carb has been set up to the appropriate clearances (like the choke plate adjustment).

This is an example of how a divorced choke linkage is adjusted, though this is not for your carb. The CSM will have similar diagrams.

0900c1528008365c.gif

You found a mechanic who knows what a CHOKE is? As Click and Clack would say, they have few teeth. 😆 

Bigger question is: Is the choke pull off working?

Choke should close when the accelerator is pushed on a cold engine before it starts. This also lets the fast idle cam rotate to the fast idle position. When it starts, the choke should open up slightly (the purpose of the choke pull off), and run at a fast idle. As the choke coil warms, it pulls the fast idle cam towards slow idle. It also opens the choke plate. 

Does the choke plate close on your cold engine?

• Haha 1