What is your project to prevent Covid boredom?

R Walling

I seem to have a dozen projects going on all at once,cars, vintage lamps, a newly acquired icebox from 1917, the backyard gardening, relearning German with the Pimsleur method and several others one. Trouble is, I just can't find the time to finish any one of them and I don't know why! :lol:

Red brass speedsters seem to be a "thing" for me this year. This Covid-acquired, 1915'ish Rajo-Ford  kept me busy and was great fun to drive during the fall.

Another red brass speedster (also four cylinder and OHV, but much bigger and older) entered the garage just before Christmas. It is a car I wanted since I was a kid and will certainly keep me busy during winter and spring in preparation for summer driving events.

speedster14.jpg

Edited by motoringicons (see edit history)
  • Like 7

Even though my wife and I both picked out our presents from Santa (she wanted a painting and I got a Pierce Arrow service bulletin book) I started these a couple months ago as a gift to her. I hadn’t carved anything in over 20 years, and yes I need some practice, but she was both surprised and happy that I thought of something special. It took a lot longer than I expected because of the wood I chose but between it and my Pierce engine I haven’t been bored...

8A2524FF-8DD4-42D3-AE42-647E9F9CB559.jpeg

• Like 6

This has given me some reflection time. I sat back looked at all of the things I accumulated and realized most of it is going to get tossed when my time comes. So I started selling things on ebay, and it sort became a 20 hour a week job to keep me busy. I have so many extra parts (like all of us do) that I now realize I will never get to use. It has become my "Virtual Hershey." I do miss my friends, but I am beginning to see some empty space on the shelves, and I have been putting a few bucks in my pocket for the next project

• Like 2

On 12/31/2020 at 10:55 AM, padgett said:

Put it in the front ? (TH700R4 is for a front engine rear drive). Archie kit mounted a SBC transversely in the back.

Ok, nobody guessed it, I put it in the middle. ( I had previously lengthen it a little bit) I built this a a driver not a race car. Who said that I was bored? 

IMG_1330.JPG

IMG_1331.JPG

IMG_1333.JPG

• Like 3

Roger, what the H^^^ is that?  Will it be full fendered or open wheeled?   Is the chain part of the steering or braking

system?

Would love to hear what it is that you are building.  The back body section looks Fiero, with the Fiero roof line

becoming a wing.

Paul, the chain draped over the body is used to pull the wheeled dolly that it is sitting on.

This is what I started with a few years ago. Then I lengthened it to make a two seater. That is where I am installing the engine now.

The engine replacement came about when we we having coffee on our usual Sat . morning meeting. A friend came up with the wild idea and I said "Why not!"

Moral of the story " Do not listen to people with nothing to do"

DSCN0119.JPG

DSCN0228.JPG

DSCN1462.JPG

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Paul Dobbin said:

Roger, what the H^^^ is that?   Is the chain part of the steering or braking

system?

Paul, please don't come up with the idea of using the chain  for steering the car. ( I am highly open to hair brained ideas and I don't need any more problems to employ my engineering skills to.)  😉

Although it did work pretty good on steam powered tractors...Hmm...

Edited by Roger Walling (see edit history)

I dragged this home in March...

20170904_134352.thumb.jpeg.33074db05177c0b62bad850d70736138.jpeg

It's a 1933 Pontiac sport coupe that a previous owner started to build into a hot rod in the late 70s or early 80s.

This is the ride height and stance mock-up:

213116289_RideheightmockupApril2020.thumb.jpg.5096dc5cd9e81de0fec15a58915ca6d9.jpg

Engine and transmission are ready; 1966 Pontiac Overhead Cam 6 with a 700R4 and a 3.73 axle.

I will be replacing what's left of the body wood with sheet metal.

I figure I have at least 3 more years of work to do...

Edited by 95Cardinal (see edit history)
  • Like 3

My solution is not a car, although I have some miscellaneous things I could be doing with the ones I have. My COVID-fighter was a 3D printer. I've never ventured into this arena before, and the learning curve has been steep. I had to learn about the printer itself (no small task), the software to design the objects to be printed, and the software to translate the design files to files the printer can read. As frustrating as it has been at times, it's also been very rewarding. I've made fire extinguisher brackets for several of my cars, a reproduction spark plug loom holder for Buicks, holster clips, GPS mounts, seat spacers and more. I'm currently working on a way to repair the gas pedal on my '63 LeSabre. I've made some things to use around the house as well. It's been quite a trip with it, and I'm glad I decided to take the plunge.

Here's one of my fire extinguisher mounts:

O1r9lQI.jpg

• Like 3

4 hours ago, JonW said:

My solution is not a car, although I have some miscellaneous things I could be doing with the ones I have. My COVID-fighter was a 3D printer. I've never ventured into this arena before, and the learning curve has been steep. I had to learn about the printer itself (no small task), the software to design the objects to be printed, and the software to translate the design files to files the printer can read. As frustrating as it has been at times, it's also been very rewarding. I've made fire extinguisher brackets for several of my cars, a reproduction spark plug loom holder for Buicks, holster clips, GPS mounts, seat spacers and more. I'm currently working on a way to repair the gas pedal on my '63 LeSabre. I've made some things to use around the house as well. It's been quite a trip with it, and I'm glad I decided to take the plunge.

Here's one of my fire extinguisher mounts:

O1r9lQI.jpg

For anyone using those holders make sure that you zip tie the pin in place with ties like these:   https://www.amazon.ca/Leadseals-PlasticTamper-Extinguishers-Disposable-Self-Locking/dp/B07K89DP2F?source=ps-sl-shoppingads-lpcontext&psc=1

image.jpeg.01c681eda2a03b05759dbb3f15ed6f59.jpeg

Don't ask me how I know.....

• Thanks 1

Not so much a project for me, except that it is going to help to clean up the shop.  I have my two youngest boys, 16 and 24, designing and building a rack to hold front axles and rear ends.   So far they have their design and list of materials.  I'll supervise but they are doing all of the work. 

• Like 1

On 1/1/2021 at 10:32 AM, Roger Walling said:

IMG_1333.JPG

Roger, I really like the Douglas Dauntless dive-bomber seating arrangement. Have you thought about putting a rearward facing machine gun in the back seat? 😄

Seriously, though, It looks like a lot of fun. 

• Like 1

What is your project to prevent Covid boredom?

It seems to be that I read more complete threads here 

in the AACA General Discussion Forum.   I know that I'm

not alone in this activity.   I'd rather be touring somewhere

else in one of our antique cars.

Thanks Terry, I just got an order of decals in last fall that is mostly 60s and earlier. Have to find the donors to put them on. The 50s cars are 1/64, Hot Wheels size. I just returned from Wal-Mart with a 57 Plymouth that will eventually become this car: 1079-2.jpg.ae21b28418e43474ca18aabcdd7e8ed9.jpg sometime later this year. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Billy Kingsley said:

I build scale models. I completed all of these in 2020, my new personal record for most in one year.

2v2HNiMsWx2zUmm.jpg 

In case you can't tell, I'm a big NASCAR fan.

Impressive! By my count, that's five cars a month. No way could I do that!

BTW, who drives the #43 car in light blue? I had presumed that number was retired with Richard Petty. Kyle Petty I suppose? I don't know much about NASCAR.