Need Help Locating a Noise - 63 Riv

tkeiser1

I'm probably showing my ignorance here, but I have a rather loud rapping sound in my 63 Riv that I can't locate. Here are the observations in bullet points.

• Loud, rather heavy rapping sound which speeds up and slows down with the engine revolutions 
  • Sound occurs when the car is in motion 
  • Sound continues when drifting in neutral,
  • Sound is intermittent, but more prominent in winter than summer
  • Sound slows and ceases when coming to a stop.
  • Now, here's the kicker . . . the sound is coming from the right rear, above and behind the right rear tire.

As stated above, the sound normally stops when the car is not in motion, however, today something different happened. I put the front end up on high ramps and the sound occurred while the car was up at an angle, even though it was stationary. This gave me the ability to more closely inspect where the noise was coming from. It was very prominent when listening through the trunk. To investigate further, I raised the right rear and took off the tire. The sound was coming from above and behind the wheel. However, the sound is more prominent when listening through the trunk.

For the life of me, I can't figure out what would be causing a rapping sound in that area, rapping in sync with the engine, even when the car is stationary. 

Any ideas out there??

Tom 

Oh, yes!

You have discovered the well known "Riviera Rattle"!

First of all, although it is annoying, it causes no harm and is not an indication of a problem.

Search for the "riviera rattle" phrase on this forum and read up!

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/30/2020 at 10:19 AM, 1965rivgs said:

Hi Tom,

Loosen the fuel tank straps and drop the fuel tank away from the trunk floor...has the sound disappeared?

Tom Mooney

Tom, assuming you have ID’d the noise coming from the tank and trunk would it be overkill to place rubber strips between the tank straps and trunk?

Thank you

Turbinator

43 minutes ago, Turbinator said:

Tom, assuming you have ID’d the noise coming from the tank and trunk would it be overkill to place rubber strips between the tank straps and trunk?

Thank you

Turbinator

Hi Bob,

Ultimately, if the noise disappears when the tank is lowered away from the trunk floor, the goal would be to create clearance between the trunk floor and the fuel lines.

Tom

1 hour ago, 1965rivgs said:

Ultimately, if the noise disappears when the tank is lowered away from the trunk floor, the goal would be to create clearance between the trunk floor and the fuel lines.

Tom

I can confirm what Tom said. I wrapped much of the line in rubber but the noise did not disappear. I dropped the gas tank somewhat and the noise lessened.  However, I'm concerned about loosening the tank too much rather than dropping it and inserting spacers, which I'm not eager to tackle. Any suggestions? Is it safe to loosen the tank enough to eliminate the rattle?

Edited by tkeiser1 (see edit history)

15 minutes ago, tkeiser1 said:

I can confirm what Tom said. I wrapped much of the line in rubber but the noise did not disappear. I dropped the gas tank somewhat and the noise lessened.  However, I'm concerned about loosening the tank too much rather than dropping it and inserting spacers, which I'm not eager to tackle. Any suggestions?

Here is a thread where this problem is discussed pretty thoroughly. Lots of suggestions to help with the problem.

Bill

6 hours ago, tkeiser1 said:

I can confirm what Tom said. I wrapped much of the line in rubber but the noise did not disappear. I dropped the gas tank somewhat and the noise lessened.  However, I'm concerned about loosening the tank too much rather than dropping it and inserting spacers, which I'm not eager to tackle. Any suggestions? Is it safe to loosen the tank enough to eliminate the rattle?

I suggested lowering the tank as a troubleshooting method, NOT as a permanent repair. Regarding a more permanent repair, there are several options, more dictated by your personal skills and available materials that any "right" or "wrong" method.

It is possible to deform the trunk floor, place the tank in a lower position via spacers on the top of the tank, deform the fuel lines (probably the least viable option), etc...all intended to create clearance between the fuel lines (and their clamps!) and the trunk floor. Keep in mind, lowering the tank may also lower the filler pipe depending on where you put the spacers. 

Any method should be arrive at based on just how much clearance is needed...you can determine this as a result of the troubleshooting.

Hope this clears things up,

Tom

• Like 1

Now I may be wrong here, BUT don't ALL the Rivs. & Full Size & A-Body's have a seperate ground wire coming off the fuel sending unit & held in place with one small sheet metal screw that's on the body structure???  Usually by the right rear wheel???

I know my '64 does & as many here on the forum know I've owned the car since new.

Tom T.

1 hour ago, telriv said:

Now I may be wrong here, BUT don't ALL the Rivs. & Full Size & A-Body's have a seperate ground wire coming off the fuel sending unit & held in place with one small sheet metal screw that's on the body structure???  Usually by the right rear wheel???

I know my '64 does & as many here on the forum know I've owned the car since new.

Tom T.

Hi Tom,

No, not in my experience.

Tom M

1 hour ago, gungeey said:

T keiser: All of the above may apply if you have a car with A/C and a fuel return line (have not seen it menmtioned)... if that's not the case you have other issues than riviera rattle, if so, it's prob the answer.. Steve

Yep. It does.

2 hours ago, 1965rivgs said:

I suggested lowering the tank as a troubleshooting method, NOT as a permanent repair. Regarding a more permanent repair, there are several options, more dictated by your personal skills and available materials that any "right" or "wrong" method.

It is possible to deform the trunk floor, place the tank in a lower position via spacers on the top of the tank, deform the fuel lines (probably the least viable option), etc...all intended to create clearance between the fuel lines (and their clamps!) and the trunk floor. Keep in mind, lowering the tank may also lower the filler pipe depending on where you put the spacers. 

Any method should be arrive at based on just how much clearance is needed...you can determine this as a result of the troubleshooting.

Hope this clears things up,

Tom

I've never dropped a gas tank before. What are the problems encountered? I'm concerned about weight as well as not having a lift.