HeadLamp retract button quirk

Guest geokirk

Guest geokirk

My wife dropped several pennies into the cigarette lighter socket on our 89 without realizing it! The headlamps flopped up and down non-stop without any apparent reason. When the retract switch was depressed on there was a short smell of electrical smoke and the lamp motor (Cigar lighter) fuse blew.

I discovered the coins and took them out and replaced the fuse. The headlamps now go up and down fine, when the headlamp switch operates it, including lighting. However, the retract button will not work at all. I doubt the dealer has ever seen this, as I have never heard of anything like it. I can't believe the retract switch burned, but I do not have a clue where to begin?

Guest geokirk

I'm not sure, as I have read some coments about diodes that play a part and are located very close to the switch. If the switch is mechanical only, I suspect the diode would be more logical.

Hopefully, someone knows the answer. Although, how much do you want for a retract switch nutton? confused.gif

• 1 year later...
Guest geokirk

I'm not sure what I need. I replaced the large control module and now the switch works at keeping the lamps up, but they are also ON!!!

I guess the switch is next, but I wonder what else is in between???

Guest geokirk

I'm not sure what I need. I replaced the large control module and now the switch works at keeping the lamps up, but they are also ON!!!

I guess the switch is next, but I wonder what else is in between???

I do recall a small acrid electrical smell when it occurred. But the switch LED lights up when pushed in and the lamp no longer jerk but do stay up.

Guest imported_dantm4

Not quite sure what the switch on the 89 looks like but I've had to rebuild the switch on my 90 twice - the housing cracked and all the little parts fell out of their places. I should probably get a "new" one. When I rebuilt the switch there were two contacts that had to be made - one to turn on the lights, and the other to make the motors work to pop the lights on and off, perhaps you're missing something in your switch that does one of these things.

-Dan

90' Black/Tan Coupe

Guest geokirk

The part I think "might" be the problem is not the central headlamp switch, but rather the HeadLamp retract switch next to the fog lamp switch.