The hardtop Chronicles

Xander Wildeisen

This is a car that I finished for a customer. Was started by someone else and the project sat for years. It was a 37 Ford coupe that they cut the roof off and made a coupester. It has the turret style top on it. It is removable, made from the original top. And is wrapped in Mercedes Benz convertible top material. Has the stitching down the sides like the convertibles would have. Turned out nice, just a different style. I wanted to finish out the convertible to match the Hudson truck. Truck is sold, but have all parts to do another truck. I would like to put the stainless trim on the drip rail, and carry the small upper trim around the base of the top when it is done. The convertible is to nice of a car to leave the way it is. Just looks like vegetable soup, being put together with so many parts from different cars. It is going to be sitting awhile, finding a place to move tools and equipment into is more important right now. Not showing modified cars on here. Just replying with pictures. I think building the top would be a fun project for anyone with a 40's convertible with roll down windows. They Have the hardtop look to the windows. If you are crushing a parts car, why not try building something out of the top. You could always sell the completed top, might be a market for one? And you can scrap the top if it turns out bad. Right now there is just two holes on each side drilled in the pinch weld. Nothing is modified on the convertible, no harm done to the car building this. Fun easy project for younger car guys/gals to try.

vic 37 good by 007.jpg

hudsons 007.JPG

• Like 1

I definitely wouldn't pad the top when done. I have seen a few done that way and it always seems to me like the guy screwed up and his out was to cover the bad bodywork.  With what you are doing it would look good in steel so you could really appreciate the quality of the work. 

I knew making a retractable hardtop involved alot of extra engineering to say the least.,  It was more of a wise ass comment.  

Very nice work. 

Edited by auburnseeker (see edit history)

With both sides tacked together. I can now tack weld across the top, cutting away the extra roof skin as I go. If you start tacking the roof together first, you might not be happy how it could turn out. It is the sides that provide the support for the roof skin. Very easy to cut and draw down earlier tacks. Trying to push the roof skin up after it is tacked together, will just create large gaps to fill. Use the sides to lift/squeeze the roof skin up.

Pictures and hardtop 1167.jpg

Pictures and hardtop 1232.jpg

Pictures and hardtop 1235.jpg

Pictures and hardtop 1236.jpg

Pictures and hardtop 1233.jpg

Pictures and hardtop 1274.jpg

• Like 3

1 minute ago, 58L-Y8 said:

Fine work!  Looks wonderful, very professional!  I have to ask, how did you learn such fine metal working skills?

Kind to say. I do not have the skills of people who do this as a trade. I always tried to do as much on a build/restoration by myself as I could. It just led to trying more aspects of the build. Buying one tool at a time that you could afford, and that was needed. Not buying things that are really not needed for normal restoration/fab work. Not being around a car scene in Idaho that highlights this trade, or showcases businesses that do it. It is very hard to get more experience in doing things like this. You have to work on what comes in the door. Doing stuff like this, has always been done on the side with my own stuff. Idaho is not known for a large custom car/restoration scene, and there is a reason for that. A lot of very talented people over the years have had their careers destroyed by what goes on. And it is very sad, that this industry does not do more to protect people getting involved and starting a business with the knowledge about what goes on in places like Idaho. Outside pictures tomorrow. Happy with how it is turning out, still just roughed in. The hard part is over.

• Like 4

I do not understand the lead stuff. I get that it used to be how it was done. And it is still done today. It is a skill, an art and a craft. Not something that you can just dive into and master. The quality of modern fillers is very nice. Light weight and sands very easy. I think lead work still has a place. Guessing that it is used in the restoration side more than the street rod/custom side? Not sure. I have not worked with lead, just melted out a bunch. No right or wrong to this stuff, different ways of doing things. I have always just done what the customer requests. If they want lead, guess I better learn how to do lead work pretty fast. Metal work quality would have to at a higher level using lead. Very easy to float out an area with modern fillers and high build primers. These pictures are of 37 Packard. Owner wanted the roof filled. It makes sense to cut out the factory joint that is leaded, so the metal surfaces line up. The factory just over lapped areas like this, and in some cases beat the area down with a ball peen hammer. 75 years later, the lead is still there. How would modern fillers stand up to sitting in a field under the sun for 50 years? The last picture is the day that Packard left to go out for body/paint. Date on the picture is 6/21/2015. That is the last time I did anything related to metal work. Because of what happened in Idaho. This removable hardtop is the only real metal work project I have done in going on 6 years. Payed a very large price for getting on a committee and standing up for people. And people have tried very hard to spin the situation. I will use a modern filler on the top. It will be lighter and most likely cost less, over using and learning to work with lead. Please understand that I am not pushing customs on here. Most of the stuff people want done is updated. I have owned a few original/restored cars. And was getting into servicing classics as part of the business. That's because of a love for early original cars.My first Hudson was all original, and my daily driver for a few years. That was at the age of 17, started with original cars. The restoration side is hard in some parts of the country. Idaho is not known for companies that repair/finish parts. Things like chrome had to sent out. And as a business your returning product will have problems, when others have decided to target a business. I am not slamming an industry, just a State. 

packard roof 001.JPG

packard roof 002.JPG

packard roof 006.JPG

packard roof 007.JPG

packard finished 021.JPG

Forest Grove 056.JPG

56 Vette 002.jpg

69 mustang outside _2 057[1].JPG

1933 packard #2 146.JPG

1937 packard outside #1 013.JPG

55 desoto 002.JPG

auburn pictures 038.JPG

new rims 002.JPG

good by 37 packard 003.JPG

• Like 1

I was just curious as your work is so detailed and good. I’ve only known one guy that did lead work about 50 years ago. I always thought of him as an artist very similar to your work.  What you are doing here looks more like a restoration than a custom to me ( but what do I know) and it fits in here more than a lot of the treads on the forum. Please keep posting and explaining it is very interesting to many of us I’m sure. 
dave s 

Edited by SC38DLS (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Thank you for the background on how you learned these skills.   However much professional training one might have, with a craft there is no substitute for hands-on practice.   In terms of demand for those skills, which in this case, are not widely held even in the restoration business, searching for better opportunities elsewhere seem in order.  As far as a State hostile to practice of one's craft, there are plenty of places where those skills would be welcomed and embraced.   Life is too short spend it in a place where one is unwelcome.   

BTW, interesting variety of cars you've worked on.

Edited by 58L-Y8
Addendum (see edit history)

The cars that I have shown pictures of, are original/restored cars that I owned over the years. Most of the restorations done on them were done by other people. They were purchased, driven, shown, maintained and improved. Sold them and moved on to the next one. Not claiming to have restored them. Most of the cars I have been involved with are street rods and customs. Shown in ISCA shows in Boise. Just not posting pictures, many on here have seen some pictures of them over the years. I do not live in Idaho anymore. Was born and raised there. Just work on my cars when I am visiting my parents. Top was fun to do, very easy project for someone to do. I do think it will turn out nice when it is done. Will post more pictures tomorrow.

IMG_20210106_133443156_HDR.jpg

• Like 3

This is the last piece that was cut out of the back half. If it moved up and back, that is where it was cut out of the back half. Where it is clamped, is where it lays flat and fits the shape of the new side pieces. It shows how much bigger the sides needed to be, and how the curve on the roof sides where in the wrong place, they needed to be farther out. 

Pictures and hardtop 1151.jpg

That's about all I got. A lot of work still left to do. Next time I visit I will weld it up and share a picture. Hope it was easy to follow, and was able to show how you can turn a roof on a parts car into a usable top. Quarter windows, track and window seals total around $150.00. A little bit of sheet metal, welding supplies. Guessing it was done for under $250.00. More might have been spent on beer.

Pictures and hardtop 1318.jpg

Pictures and hardtop 1338.jpg

Hudson convertible 136.JPG

car show pic 034.jpg

Pictures and hardtop 133.jpg

• Like 4

Closest I can come to a convertible top. Is when I first tried to buy the convertible. This is how it sat 26 years ago. Owner would not sell it to me. A person could have saved the car back then. Still would have been doing a lot of rust repair. This is when I got it 9 years ago. And the coupe needed to save the convertible. The convertible would have been a parts car. It was gone. Have lots of pictures showing the repair of the convertible using the coupe. Could continue this post, if people want to see it? 

convertible 002.JPG

IMG_20120423_195245.jpg

hudsons 012.JPG

IMG_20111113_161025.jpg

hudsons 011.JPG

Edited by Xander Wildeisen (see edit history)
  • Like 2

If you are wanting to see it painted and finished. You might be waiting a while. At best, I will visit my parents again in a few months. And weld up the top while I am there. You can see there is some welding to do. Car will look like this, until a location to operate my business is found. And available funds are there to devote towards the Hudson. Also have a Jaguar that has been neglected sitting with a cover on it. All I can do is show past pictures, if the moderators allow.

IMG_20210106_140049923.jpg

IMG_20210108_140919926.jpg

IMG_20210108_140943284.jpg

• Like 2

I too would be interest in how you saved the convertible with the coupe structure.   I like the removable hardtop very much, very period correct in style.    When finishing the car after paint etc. one thing that would personally make it even more attractive is to substitute the front grille and trim from a 1942 Commodore Eight like this one.

'42 Hudson Commodore a.JPG

1 hour ago, 58L-Y8 said:

I too would be interest in how you saved the convertible with the coupe structure.   I like the removable hardtop very much, very period correct in style.    When finishing the car after paint etc. one thing that would personally make it even more attractive is to substitute the front grille and trim from a 1942 Commodore Eight like this one.

'42 Hudson Commodore a.JPG

I am not really a fan of the 42 front end. Tough to beat the 46-47 grills. I would like to find the trim you see going around the base of the roof in the back, on that coupe. Guessing it is 42,46 and 47 Commodore only. If anyone knows where that trim is hiding, let me know. I can go through my pictures, and post stuff on the convertible rebuild. It is very easy to do. But you do need a complete convertible as a parts car. If someone has a rusted up convertible out of the 40's, it might be easy to fix the same way I did this one. The Hudson bodies are the same, convertible just has some extra stuff in the body, and on the frame.

Pictures and hardtop 368.jpg

hudsons 176.JPG

• Like 2

The '40's Hudson grilles are a matter of taste, I suppose.  My favorite is the 1941.  The recessed center of 1946-'47 'blacked-out' at a distance, made the car look like someone punched out it two front teeth.  That space was a popular spot to mount two fog lights.

Ok, I will walk you through the repair of a convertible body using a coupe. Is it a coupe turned into a convertible? Or just a big patch panel? To explain what  happened, and how the parts were used. I will show pictures of different Hudson's, and how four parts cars, built three Hudson trucks and one Hudson convertible. I will not go into detail about the trucks they were modified. I will stick to the repair of the convertible body. Trying to stay in line with this forum. But I will show how every part of the parts cars were used, including roofs. Very little was scrapped, just unusable chunks of the bodies. No funny business was done with titles or tags. Trucks were always trucks, and the convertible was a convertible. If you count all of the Hudson's in this story, it will total 9, 47 Hudson's used to save four of them. The parts cars were rotten old cars. One coupe, parted out before I bought all of this stuff. Two sedans, another coupe. The donor coupe and the convertible. I will post a few pictures each day, same as the hard top. Ask questions, or post comments. 

hudsons 006.JPG

hudsons 009.JPG

hudsons 019.JPG

• Like 3

1 hour ago, SC38DLS said:

I’ll say this before you go any further in this story — You are a brave man!  
I think we are in for a good story and build. 

There is a date on all of these pictures. this picture was taken on 4/24/2012. The second picture was taken on 1/12/2016. The flag you see in the third picture, is a story all by itself. A lot happened over the course of repairing this convertible. A few stories come to mind. I will stick to the repairing of the convertible, and the parts cars. But would be happy to answer any questions you may have.

hudsons 010.JPG

shop 051.JPG

shop 095.JPG

• Like 2